Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting the journey....

I have been on what I like to call the journey to the "old me" for a few months now. I'm going through the step in prepeation for the surgery, but I'm still on the fence about it. I have a good bit of weight to lose (about 150 lbs) and know that this will help me achieve my goal. My hesitation comes from what life will be like after the surgery. I've heard stories of not being able to eat certain things and not sure if I want that. Will I be able to eat a steak again? Or shrimp? Or BBQ?

I know this is a life changing decision and I just want to make sure I make the right one.

Thanks for listening.

From what I understand about this procedure. Someone correct me if I am wrong. That you still need to follow a strict diet with protiens first because the new tummy is so small you want to use it for maximum effeciency to make sure your body is getting enough nutrients. After you can start solid foods and your stomach has fully healed you can have some of these things in small quantities once in a while.

I am also starting my journey as well and this is what I have learned so far. Also every Dr has their own procedures they want you to follow when it comes to food.

Again I'm sure someone will help out if my info is not correct.

I can't wait to be called a Loser!!

Good Luck on your journey

I also want to add that I also felt the same way. I have about 120lbs to lose. At first I was considering the gastric by pass but when I really sat down and thought about it, I broke out in a sweat and started second guessing myself. I am sure that bypass is good for some people but I could not come to terms with the malabsorbtion issues, or the fact that they were rearranging my insides, or they chance for complications for the next 5 yrs. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION. I am not here to offend anyone.The band is out for me too. Too many people have problems with it and others don't, thats great. But I dont want anything foreign in my body either. Any way, I started seeing people talking about the verticle sleeve on the OH boards and TT. I have heard nothing bad about any complications and everyone seems to be very happy with it. No malabsorbtion, less post operative complications and more food choices. The best part is when I sit down and really think about it I don't break out in a sweat or have a mini panic attack. I really think that this is the answer for ME. My insurance covers bypass and band, but I'm not interested. I'm going through all the ropes here to get the sleeve done and I know my insurance will deny me the first time but I'm prepared to fight it so they can substitute sleeve for bypass because of certain medical conditions. They will do the sleeve if BMI is over 50, I am 42. If not, I am prepared to go to Mexico and have started my research for a Dr there.

Sorry this is so long but you are not the only one who feels this way.

Good Luck in your decision. I hope this helps you

Thanks for the reply. I first went into this thing about the band and during the informational seminar about the surgery I heard about the sleeve. As soon as I heard about it I thought that this would be for me. I guess now I'm just coming to terms with the whole lifestyle change. I've given myself a deadline of March 15th to decide if I'm going to go through with it. I'm getting everything lined up so the insurance will pay for most of it.

I guess I'm focusing on what I'll be giving up as opposed to what I will gain by this.

Big Kahuna -

I'm not sure I've had to give up much with my SLEEVE. Initially, of coarse, I had a pre-op diet that sucked and a post-op diet that was medically necessary. During the first few weeks of the post-op diet, I didn't want much anyway. It was a progression back to real food. Now, nearly 6 months post-op, I still am watching what I eat because I still have weight to lose to reach my goal. The sleeve is a tool to help me reach that goal. With that said, like most diets of my past, I still cheat occasionally, but the sleeve helps control the portions.

You also asked about eating real food again...I had 2 ounces of grilled ribeye steak for dinner tonight with a very small salad and 1 tbsp of my husband's loaded baked potato. I had shrimp for dinner last night. So YES, with your sleeve, you eventually will be able to eat real food again.

Linda,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. It's good to know that there will be steak and shrimp in my future!

I've been reading alot of posts here over the last day or so and have found some really great "real world" information. To hear what others have gone through and the issues they have faced have given me a lot to think about and I feel will help me make my decision.

Thanks again!

Hi and welcome to VST. You can definitely have steak. I eat it very regularly be it beef steak or venison steaks.

I have absolutely zero food restrictions. I eat barbque beef, chicken and venison frequently. I never did eat a lot of seafood pre-op so shrimp is never on my menu. It's a texture thing for me. I stick to Mahi Mahi, and some salmon occasionally. I haven't found anything that I can't eat. I don't like eggs, and did try to eat some scrambled, but they didn't settle with me early out. I don't enjoy fried or super oily foods, but that just helps with leading a healthy lifestyle overall.

It is a big decision, and make sure you research all the options, and find what works best for you and your lifestyle. Weigh out the complications, not just immediately post-op, but long term as well.

I absolutely love my life that the sleeve has given me. I lead a very normal life, and eat out 2-3 days a week with a group of friends. They all know I've had surgery, and are all supportive.

Since I had to have my band removed, the sleeve was an easy choice vs. the other options out there.

I'm about a week shy of 8 months post-op, at goal for the last month, and I do still follow the Protein first rule about 85-90% of the time at meals. Sometimes, I want to have Pasta or rice first, and I try to make up for it with my next meal.

I've posted a couple of threads called "food for thought" with photos of what I eat. They can give you a visual on what I am eating on a regular basis. You can get to those threads through the search feature, or hitting my profile, go to statistics and hit the line that says "all threads started by". I honestly don't feel deprived or that I'm missing out on anything. Everything is in moderation, and I've expanded our family dinner menu since having this surgery. It's been really great because we are all eating healthier, and are more mindful of what we put in our mouth.

Best wishes in your decision.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that I'll still be able to enjoy myself. I looked at your thread and have to admit that the chili looked good. After reading alot of posts that are on this site over the last couple of days, I'm feeling better about making the decision to go ahead get the surgery.

Thanks again!