Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

still not convinced with the sleeve .. am confused

hi ... i have been battling with my weight for the last 30 yrs ... now am frustrated .... went to my dietician when i was 11 yrs old ...have gone to numerous fat camps .... now am frustrated ... my BMI is 37 .. and am i have been doing my research on some sort of a weightloss surgery .... and i find the sleeve the most approriate ..i just have a few questions frm people who have got this procedure done

1. first of all how do i choose on a doctor to do this procedure .. i have been meeting people and they all seem good to me ..

2. do u have serious gas and acidity problem throughout and one keeps burping ? isnt tht embarassing ?

3. am due to get married in march this year will my tummy settle down till then .. i know it not going to be normal but obv i dont want to feel nauseatic and keep throwing up .

4. should i really do this ? am overweight by 60 pounds ... please please tell me ... yes for sure i have been so depressed and so stressed mentally because am consulting so many doctors about this and its mentally draininig me ... please do keep me posted .

I suggest you seek council with a psychologist who specializes in WLS. At the hospital where I had my surgery there is an excellent psychologist who pre-screens any person considering having WLS and she sees them a few times putting them through workshop testing and questionnaires to determine if they are psychologically ready for the major changes that do occur after such a procedure. Unfortunately I was not informed of her practice until after the surgery since I had psychological/emotional disturbances post surgery which I am still grappling with. Had I seen her prior to the surgery she would have recognized that I was not ready.

There will be a dramatic change in your relationship with food and adjustments to make where food and family, friends, etc. are involved. Food can never be used for comfort again after the surgery, you will need to find other means to deal with feelings that were previously enmeshed with eating for comfort. You may not find this a problem at all. Most people are very happy with the changes regardless.

i know what u mean ... i think the reason most of us overeat is to comfort ourselves .... yes i do know a good cousellor in my city dont know if she is does counselling in this though but yes i could have a word with her .... well one of my doctors who i met for sure asked me a lot like wut kind of food i crave ... so i guess he was trying to figure it all out

all iam concerned ... i know it will so different but was wondering wut does it feel like ... does one have a gasy feeling , or acidity ... if we do ... so do we have antiacid throughout our life's .

yes i did fix an appointment with my counsellor anyway and i see her on feb 3rd . lets see how it goes till then i do more research . yes i do know one thing for sure i want something that helps my life long . because am so sick and tired of going and living in these fat camps ...yes i do go gyming am addicted to my gym .. i think its for sure with my eating that iam going wrong or overeating .

Most people are very happy with their new weight loss tool. yes you do have to take an acid reducer for a period of time.

You should read as much as you can on here. The board is divided up into sections where you can find answers for everything.

Personally, I am able to eat anything I want, just not very much at one time. I can still comfort myself with food if that is what I choose to do.I can pig out on Cookies anytime I choose to. Ice cream is something I have a difficult time with because too much of it will give me diarrhea.

I love being at goal weight and not struggling to stay there. The sleeve is the best thing I did for myself and I wish I had done it long before I did.

thankyou so much for your replies .. the more i read the better i feel . yes for the last 4 days this is all i have been doing reading blogs........ reading even more ...... i even dream of this when am sleeping . for how long do i need to take these pills to prevent acidity .. ok i did hear that people who go through a sleeve keep burping ...is that true ? and when i did watch a video on utube and this girl was talking about her experince with weightloss ..... and she burped thrice in a 2 minute video ... so does this happen often ?

Your doctor will prescribe an acid reducer. It's pretty standard to be on it for 6 months after surgery. I rarely burp.

1. first of all how do i choose on a doctor to do this procedure .. i have been meeting people and they all seem good to me ..

You choose a surgeon based on how many sleeves they have performed, along with his/her complication/leak stats. Once a surgeon has performed 300 sleeves, the complications decrease, and the technique is improved. Also, the follow up care that is offered. If you feel that you'll need a support group, then ensure your surgeon has one available, or that you can get access to one in your area. Also, choose a surgeon based on research. Look him/her on the state of _____ medical board. Look for compliants/lawsuits filed. Ask the surgeon if he has patient testimonies available. If you can call/email/write to some of his past patients so you can get firsthand information from his patients.

2. do u have serious gas and acidity problem throughout and one keeps burping ? isnt tht embarassing ?

I rarely have gas now. With the band, I had it all the time. But with the sleeve, I rarely expel any type of gas. I burp occasionally if I take a drink of Water too fast, but it's quiet and not embarassing. I do take a 20mg Prilosec capsule once a day to prevent acid reflux, I should be able to start weaning off of them in the next couple of months.

3. am due to get married in march this year will my tummy settle down till then .. i know it not going to be normal but obv i dont want to feel nauseatic and keep throwing up .

Depending on your surgeon's post-op diet program, and your ability to drink plenty of fluids, and no complications post-op, you should be okay by March. Some patients do experience nausea, but it's typically related to progressing through the post-op diet stages and trying new food.

4. should i really do this ? am overweight by 60 pounds ... please please tell me ... yes for sure i have been so depressed and so stressed mentally because am consulting so many doctors about this and its mentally draininig me ...

No one can answer this question for you because it's very personal. If you are ready to lead, a healthy, normal life, then take the steps you need to get to a healthy weight and maintain it. If you are stressed and depressed, I would highly recommend consulting with a counselor that is trained and has experience with bariatric patients. They operate on our stomachs, not our brains, and part of this journey can be emotional.

Best wishes, and if you have any other feel to post, and we'll try to help as much as we can.

hi ... i have been battling with my weight for the last 30 yrs ... now am frustrated .... went to my dietician when i was 11 yrs old ...have gone to numerous fat camps .... now am frustrated ... my BMI is 37 .. and am i have been doing my research on some sort of a weightloss surgery .... and i find the sleeve the most approriate ..i just have a few questions frm people who have got this procedure done

4. should i really do this ? am overweight by 60 pounds ... please please tell me ... yes for sure i have been so depressed and so stressed mentally because am consulting so many doctors about this and its mentally draininig me ... please do keep me posted .

Smeet, I'm out now 4 weeks and i don't have that gassy feeling never have, i don't belch out like a rude man either, actually my burps have become very dainty. . .i don't have to use any antacids at all, never have. . . well if your getting married in march, when are you planning to have the surgery? depends on that don't you think? If your worrying about that, maybe wait til after the wedding. . .I have never felt nauseated or never have vomited. . . i can tolerated every thing except plain Water, so i flavor it with crystal light, now i can drink all my fluids as well. . . you have to do your research my dear, i did research on this for 1 1/2 years, went to a seminar, and then decided. . don't just jump into it. . .maybe like they mentioned on this thread, talk to a counselor first. . . good luck but the decision is yours to make. . .

thank you so much everyone ... i cant tell u how good am feeling doing this ... i think things are somehow not working my way either like am not able to find the right doctor in the city where iam ..... if i ask him for references i hardly get any reply back from him or the doc doesnt get back to me .. i think i will have to travel to a different location to get this proceudre done and i have realised that i have to really really mentally prepare myself before i do something like this .. its a big step and a huge lifestyle change ... its a different relationship with food .. so iam not going to hurry up with this its just been a month ... only thing am worked with is if i have to do this now then its has to be quick cuz i get married end of march and i do need time to settle down with this ...... i will wait till i find the right doctor to go through something like this .... till then am heading to a naturopathy camp ... for a detox and yes i know in this i will loose some weight tooo ... till then more research till i find this .... but thank you guys ... u guys have been great and i love the pictures they are so inspirational like i know myself i have never ever been thin in my life .... i was a obese child as well .... and been laughed at in school and univ ... so i think i did have enough of this ... i know i will be doing this soon once am convnced abt the doctor

am sure with my fiance's support i will manage to loose some weight ... he cant wait to have kids and start a family ....

thank you guyssssssssssssssssssssssss love u all for this

There are so many of us that traveled out of the country to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali Mexico. There is not one person that wasn't thrilled with him, the hospital and all the staff.

i know he sounds good to me but i live in india so i will have to look for someone in india .... even here i mighth ave to travel to another city to do the sleeve

Oh Wow! I didn't notice that up on the right side. It does say India.

It's so cool that people are getting sleeved all over the world!