Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!! Someone considering but not sure....

i tried to post this as a new thread but it ended up pasting to the replies that tagged on to Paul's email about " the truth". I need to hear the dirty details. I am considering it but just am trying to go through the negatives...not medically but socially. Please read my thread reply for all the details. also, THANK YOU for your help! :)

Ok, I found your other thread.

Those are the exact issues that bothered me - the social aspect of food. I really didnt want to give up the legitimate enjoyment that eating brings to my life. Family celebrations, weddings, parties, dinners out with friends etc. It just wouldnt be much of a life without those things.

To be honest, I didnt find very much amongst support forums to assure me that life would be relatively normal after banding, and the accounts of Protein first, no bread, and what I felt was a marked lack of fresh fruit and vegetables in everyone's diets made me decide it wasnt for me. I really felt that on the whole, the typical bandster diet was not something I wanted to live on - both for my health and social reasons.

It was actually going to the surgeon's information night and getting some information on how they view it here in Australia that was my turning point. I'm not disrespecting or dissing what anyone's doctor has told them to do but I have discovered they dont do it the same way here and yet we still get the same results. The people I heard speak at 2 information nights by 2 different surgeons all recounted perfectly normal lives where they ate socially still, had a few problem foods to avoid maybe, but overall they just ate less and lost weight.

That's how its been for me too. There has been no disruption to my lifestyle at all as a result of this procedure. I've lost weight, slowly and steadily. I dont have any problem foods, and I love eating out and eating with family. It hasnt affected my family other than what I choose to buy and prepare is healthier these days.

I havent had to eat the "typical" bandster diet - its important to remember that you have control over your fill level. I can consume a normal size meal for a small eater - nobody's eyes pop at the lack of food on my plate! Its small enough for me to lose, but totally normal compared to what many people eat. People that dont overeat that is. I eat plentyt of fibre since I still eat wholegrain breads, cereals, fruit, vegetables, meat, I love sushi and have it often. Some foods are hard to eat, I normally know within a bite or two that its not going to be great and leave it on my plate. I have had to eat less things like cakes, muffins and stuff like that that I used to love, but when it becomes hard work and uncomfortable to eat these things you give them up easily and I dont miss them. The anticipation of missing them was worse.

I've been extraordinarily lucky though, I think I'm in a minority with how easy I've found this but I too just had to take the plunge without knowing that that's how it would be. People can find their eating very limited and restricted but chances are youll fall somewhere on middle ground and it'll be OK. Nearly everyone here enjoys eating out and the like occasionally.

As to losing friends - well I dont have people in my life that are that shallow fortunately. My friends are nearly all very long term friends that I've had for over 20 years, they loved me before and they love me still. Even my one or two girlfriends who have very serious weight problems have not been snarky or envious or jealous, just supportive.

Now alluding to things that have gone on here where people (me incuded)have gotten their noses out of joint recently because of people speaking the truth about the downsides of the band and seeming negative- here would be a really good place for people to do that, to give you realistic expectations. I dont think I'm a good candidate since I'm having an utterly charmed run.

that was fantastic! THANK YOU for your reply. I will look out for more replies. Also, I LOVE AUSTRALIA! I was there for 4 weeks in january...mostly Melbourne and Sydney. I Almost did not make that trip because I was ashamed to see my family as such a chubby. i told myself that i will just have to hate my weight while I am there but at least i WAS there!! Best trip of my LIFE. Maybe I will get some info to help me make this decision and then come to Aus as a HOTTIE ON THE BEACH!!! :) (now THAT is something hard to imagine!)