Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm day 3 post-op, and I'm one of the lucky ones that has had a smooth recovery thus far, but today in the later evening I have been experiencing pain in my upper chest, lower chest, and shoulders. Sometimes its random, and other times its following me sipping on liquids. I was under the impression that it was still the C02 from surgery, but my surgeon informed me that the gas is gone after 24 hours. Has anyone else experienced this problem and can help shed light? :thumbup:

Kai

I had my VSG on Nov 5 2009 and I still have chest pain at time. The gas from your belly might be gone after 24 hours but you will have gas for many months if not forever.

I am just over two months post-op and I have gas all the time. The best thing to do is WALK. Burp it out and you will feel better. I get chest pains if I drank too quickly or too much. It will fad with time but it doesn't always go away completely.

Down the road, I would also suggest using Gas-X, it helped me with the gas as well.

Hope you get some relief!

Laurin

I had gas trapped under my collarbone. It was super painful. I had to walk, walk, and stretch my arm over my head, and bend a little weird to get it to move.

It could be gas from the CO2 that's been trapped. I hardly ever get gas now, and it's not been a problem for me.

I had gas trapped in my left shoulder for 1 week, it really hurt, the best thing to do is walk and do shoulder stretches, a heating pad worked along with pain meds. . . hope this helps

Thanks ladies. I'm not too sure what to make of these pains now? Everything has been smooth for me, I'm walking, sipping etc & only have the minor discomfort in my incisions, however these "chest pains" have not resided. I don't know now if it's gas related or not? Many times throughout the day & night I just get these crazy sharp, stabbing pains in my chest. I hold a hand over my chest for a second or two & then it's gone, as quick as it came. Last night it happened at least 4 times while I was laying in bed trying to sleep. I feel fine otherwise & don't know if this is gas, or if this is a common side effect of the sleeve post surgery OR if I am just overreacting & need to give it some time. I think I'm just panicked that if something is not right, I want it looked after right away. Hmm... maybe I'll just have to give my surgeon a quick call/email for some reassurance or guidance.

Other than that, life on the other side has been great. Not craving ANY food & am satisfied still on liquids... fingers crossed that lasts!!!