Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plane Tickets- did you have to buy two

I Weight just a little over 300 lbs and will be flying. Will i have to buy two tickets? Are some plane seats wider then others? Is it better (room wise) to have an isle seat or window. Thanks everyone

My highest was 280, and I never had to buy 2 tickets. I think that there are a number of folks on here who haven't had to. You may want a seat belt extender though. You can quietly ask the attendant to bring you one. I am more comfortable in an aisle seat but mostly because I feel like I stretch my legs out a little more (although that may be entirely mental).

Firstclass of course has bigger seats. Economy Plus, or business class or whatever doesn't usually have bigger seats, just more space between them.

:)

At my highest i weighed more than most here, and never had to buy two tickets.

Seats vary in width by class (1st/standard, as MariMaru said), and by plane type, and occasionally by airline.

I prefer window seats, but they're no wider than the aisle seats. The only room difference you're really going to get outside of first or a specialty airline is front-back (front seats, exit aisle, etc.) not side-side.

Check out www.seatguru.com. They have lots of seat specs. You can also Google and quickly find the exact width of a seat on just about any plane, as well as averages. E.g. Southwest averages seat widths about 19", United about 21" (if memory serves - I don't fly either unless there's no other choice!)

I'm 275lbs (124kg) and travel often. I have never had to buy 2 seats or use a seatbelt extender. Of course business & first class seats are bigger however if you have to travel coach(economy) go for the aisle seat because there is heaps more arm room.

BTW Qantas (Aussie Airline) have fantastic new seats you can now lift up the arm rests on the aisle seats also (obviously they are starting to realise that fat people travel too!) :clap2:

At my highest I have weighed 372. I have never had to buy two seats, but I have worn an extender. you are better in an aisle in my opinion cause you can just lean out in the aisle if need be. Also, when you get to the gate see if they can place you in a seat next to an empty. it will make things more comfortable.

I was just on the web site suggested above, and its awesome thanks so much for the tip. I guess its now time to measure my bum to see where i'll fit, Oh what fun.

Good luck with flying - at my highest weight - 366 I never had to purchase 2 seats. As the others said, the isle seat is the most comfortable as you can scrunch up a bit in it.

All airlines have the "right" to require large people to buy two seats, but Southwest is known for being one of the only airlines to enforce it. I've had co-workers who have been required to purchase two seats on United & Delta, too.

I would think there was a lot less wrong with it if there was a discrete (as in - you're not weighing me as I stand in the check-in line) uniform & universal standard by which the judgement on 1 or 2 seats was made. Of course the ideal solution is that airplanes understand that an awful lot of Americans have butts that are wider than 19", and built the planes accordingly, but I can't fault a "normal" person for wanting their seat to themselves, and I've seen some "innocent bystanders" who were awfully cramped due to the XL POS sitting next to them, and it's not fair to them.

Most airlines claim the 1/2 seat decision is made on the basis of whether or not the person can get the armrest down after they're seated, but as many of us know -- having an armrest there doesn't mean you can fit in the seat, it just means you get 4" grooves in your hips for a while. :) Also - there's really no way you can judge that unless you see it happen. I HOPE it doesn't evolve into a situation like amusement parks are starting to set up, where you're temporarily pulled out of line of you're overweight, and asked to sit in a stationary seat while someone tests whether or not they can close the harness/lap pole over you.

I've never had to buy 2 seats and I was almost 300 lbs at one time.

However, if they told you that you had to buy 2 seats, it may be cheaper to get a 1st class ticket? I know that the 1st class seats are larger. Just a thought!

:cake: Kristin

I'll be skinnier on the return flight, right? :cake: :biggrin1:

335, and haven't had to buy two seats. Yes, the aisle is better, but watch your elbows and knees when the beverage cart comes by. The flight attendant was kind enough to bring me an ice bag for my knee the last time it got smacked by the cart (ouch!)

I will be booking my flight for the surgery soon, and I think I've decided to go first class for the return trip. I don't relish the thought of having to scrunch myself up with a sore abdomen.

A fellow bandster friend of mine in my local group was told that she had to buy a second seat when she was checking in at the gate before she was banded. She was so embarrassed. It was Southwest. She now doesn't have to because she lost 160 pounds and is about a size 10.

That scared me, so when I was over 300lbs and flying Southwest, I got the second seat. But it really was good. I had the extra seat, you get to preboard (no waiting in the A-B-C lines), and every time, they refund my money after the flight. They say that they won't refund it if it is full, but it is almost always full and they have always refunded me the money. I hate that I had to do it, but it was worth the not worrying about the embarrassment. And I would ask for an extender as soon as I boarded.

But now, I am down enough that I feel okay just getting the one seat. And I don't need an extender either. Great feeling...

I would not fly SW if THEY paid ME, even though I have never needed a second seat or a seatbelt extender. They literally call ahead to the gate attendant and say stuff like, "POS waddling your way." (POS is their acronym for "person of size".) I realize that these little "inside jokes" aren't meant to be heard by the general public, but that doesn't make them any less offensive.

Flying is not a particularly comfortable experience at the best of times but when you are up around the 300lb mark it can be quite embarrassing.

I've had people roll their eyes and make comments as I've tried to squeeze past them to get into my seat.

I once had an air stewardess ask me on the top of her voice if I need a seatbelt extension as a boarded the plane.

I've had a girl in the seat infront lower her seat (for the entire 13hr flight) right down onto my lap so I was unable to move, watch the TV or to use the food tray (because it would hit my stomach) and refuse to move it back up "Not my *uckin fault you're too fat" she yelled when I asked her to put her seat up slightly.

But this is not the norm.

Most people know how stressful and uncomfortable plane travel is unfortunately the seats in all planes are pretty narrow that's why I would definitely try and ger an aisle seat for the extra arm room.