Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein for the rest of your life?

I am on a waiting list to take my required classes for my surgery and have been doing alot of reasearch. I've found out that I love watching updates of people on youtube, especially amysdmom. It is very supporting and inspiring. Overall, from watching all these videos, I've realized that everyone talks about their Protein and getting their protien in daily. I had thought that after surgery (I know alot changes) but after about a year or 2 overall I thought the only thing that would change in life (besides clothes size) is the way you eat. Now I'm thinking...Maybe since these people are talking about protien alot as well as counting calories and carbs all the time, is this a FOREVER thing? I mean...I know you have to watch what you eat and all that good stuff, but will I have to take protien shakes everyday and count all my calories, take Vitamins? ? :confused1:I just have so many questions.

Also, if you know of any more you tube updates let me know! Thanks in advance!

I did not and have not ever relied on Protein drinks. I tried over 20 brands, flavors, and different types of Protein (whey, soy, egg) and none of them really worked for me with the exception of one, and I rarely used it.

I get in my minimum of 60gr of protein from food sources.

As for counting calories, and carbs, I was strict with myself the first 4 months. Now, not so much as I am trying to maintain, and I can have a more balanced, varied diet.

Vitamins are a required thing for life, but I just take 2 multi-vitamins daily with a sublingual B-12 once daily.

Hi there! I'm only a week out so I can't say much as for the long-term *except* that one of the things stressed during all of my pre-op appointments was the Vitamins. Like Tiffy mentioned, the Vitamins are for life, and one of the reasons that I was told for that is that long-term deficiencies in some of the vitamins (it might be B12? ) can lead to permanent nerve and/or brain damage. And since we can only eat small meals, it's not probable that we'll get the daily amounts of those nutrients from our food sources.

Deedee suggested Thecitydoll on YouTube and she has quite a few videos from early pre-op to I think 8 months post-op. I love looking at before & after pics (check out Tiffy's for sure! :)), but I think it's awesome to see the videos as well. 'll have to check out that one you mentioned!

Oh yes there are a few on YouTube that I've been following. "Thinjourney" has an awesome before/after video: YouTube - thinjourney's Channel

I would also recommend "WeightNoLonger", "faithkp" and"jrzygirlforlife".

My program guidelines for Protein is that once you can eat three ounces of dense Protein three times a day, you no longer require protein supplements. On average, they say you can achieve this during the 3-6 month period. If you can get the 3 ounces 3 times a day that is about 60 grams and that doesn't count any additional protein sources like milk or cheese.

You do need Vitamins for life, but most people should be taking them for life anyway.

Good luck.

Its good your doing more and more reasearch on your own. But you will learn a lot of this in your classes. Once your far enough to get enough Protein from your food intake then you dont need the supplements any more. But as said before vitamines are for life (as they are with or without WLS).

Counting calories also a good thing until you are ready to maintain.

Yeppers your options teachers will go over all of it with you. Each Vitamine is needed for something, its VERY important