Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to all of this.HELP!!!

I am new to everything, any advice will help. The advice I have already received is AWESOME! What I really need to know is, I have already been approved by my ins. but I have been reading about dr. putting you on a 6 month diet plan:( . I go for my first appt. on tues. and if I get that kind of news I think I will just die. I have been looking soooo foward to this and a setback like this will suck:p . Can someone PLEASE tell me how the process goes? Will I have to wait for 6months or more or what? I have tried every diet known to man.:embarassed: Still getting bigger. I really need this not only for me but my 6 year old son, he is getting heavy also, and it is my fault:mad: . The sooner I can get healthy, the sooner I can teach him to be healthy, before it's too late. :cry :cry . HELP PLEASE!! Sorry for sounding like a cry baby, but the truth is the truth.:) THANK YOU VERY MUCH:)

More than likely not a 6mt plan. I have seen that more to get the approval from the insurance comp. You may have to do a week to 10 liquid diet the week or so prior to the operation so your liver is not as fatty.

Do some research and find a reputable lap band surgeon. Since your insurance company has already approved the surgery, it's very doubtful that a surgeon will want to wait to move forward. If your first choice of surgeon DOES want to wait - look for another surgeon! lol Of course, if there is a medical reason why you need to be on a long term diet plan in order for the surgery to be safe or successful, that's a different story. In all honesty, even that reasoning doesn't really work for me - if you could stay on a diet for 6 months without a band you wouldn't need to have surgery.

I seriously doubt this is worth time worrying about. Find a surgeon and go from there.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

I think it depends on the surgeon. I was amazed how fast things moved once my insurance was set. I had to prove a year history (thankfuly my family Dr. could do that for me) for my insurance. Once the insurance was done, I had my appointment with the surgeon and was in surgery in a couple of weeks. He made me have a ton of pre-op tests: endoscopy, electrocardiogram, stress test, etc. However, they went very fast and were covered by insurance.

Just want to say to all of you THANK YOU!! You have eased me for sure. Thanks without you guys I would be LOST!

Good luck to you, dont worry the doctor will give you instructions as to what is right for you and when you follow the plan it will work. Have a great future.

More often than not, it's the INSURANCE that wants you to do the six month diet plan, not the doctors. The doctor will probably have you on a preop diet, but that's only a few weeks before surgery.

:cake: