Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve scheduled for Dec 30th!!

Bernadette -

I was right there with you - dead set on getting the band. I was a walking, talking LapBand commercial. I went to Dr. Nick's seminar and something about Grehlin caught my interest when he talked about the sleeve. I went home, found this site and learned so MUCH more about the sleeve and the complications of the band. Whew! I have so many people here to thank for a narrow escape.

Take care girl.

Hi youknowit!

Thanks for your post! First of all Before they did the surgery I never did get a clear explanation of what was wrong with the band. Well when the got in there the stomach had grown around the band, I'm not sure if the band slipped and that allowed it or what. My others organs had gotton pushed int a corner so ther were growing together. When it came time to take the band out the could not get at it in whole, so they had to cut little pieces out at a time. Then the went in and cleaned up the scar tissue. What a mess!!! My surgery should have been about an hour but it ended up taking 4 hours. I have had 15 surgeries and this is the absolute worst one I have had. So happy your band is out, and you will just have the sleeve surgery. There were two other women that had the sleeve the same day as I did and they bounced right back, so you will do GREAT!

So when are you scheduled?

Thanks for your post and keep me posted, Bernadette

Hi Bernadette,

Sounds like you went through quite an ordeal! I'm so sorry... It also sounds like your band and mine were erosion-twins. UGH. They had to cut my band out of my stomach in a few places, it was so eroded... and just like you, I didn't know anything was really "wrong" other than the leak... so I too might have gotten to a point of no return (major infection and/or death) had this information not come to light when I went in for my sleeve revision/band removal. It was bitter sweet having the band out, and not getting the sleeve, but I must say, that was for the best. Especially hearing how it all went for you, that was me, and that was some SCARY stuff, as you know very well. :frown1::svengo:

I'm on the schedule as of today, with Dr. Aceves office, for Friday, January 22. It's starting to solidify in my brain... I'm doing this. I must admit, with the band BS and such, I'm scared, but excited. I really hope everything goes smooth as silk. Having gone to Dr. A for my band removal, he'll know exactly what he's dealing with on my tummy, etc, and this helps ease my mind a bit. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me... and let me know how you are. I'm just so sorry you went through all that pain. I didn't even get the sleeve when band was removed, and my pain was pretty intense as well... Chat soon! :crying::crying:

Youknowit

I'm so happy to hear that you have a date all set! It will be here before you know it. This experience was more than I thought it would be, I certainly did not expect this much discomfort. But you know each day is better and better, I don't have much pain left, just discomfort. I have not taken any pain pills today, and I hope I won't have to take anymore at all! I'm so glad to just have the dumb band out and be onto a healthier life.

Good luck to you, keep me posted!

Bernadette

Youknowit

I'm so happy to hear that you have a date all set! It will be here before you know it. This experience was more than I thought it would be, I certainly did not expect this much discomfort. But you know each day is better and better, I don't have much pain left, just discomfort. I have not taken any pain pills today, and I hope I won't have to take anymore at all! I'm so glad to just have the dumb band out and be onto a healthier life.

Good luck to you, keep me posted!

Bernadette

I'm looking forward to "moving forward" past this band/bs part of my weightloss journey! :thumbup: Can I ask you a couple of question?... if you don't want to answer, that's ok, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. And, I'd be happy to hear from anyone on here that would be willing to share...

First, what stage of the game are you in right now, meaning, are you on Clear liquids still? When were you able to start taking "pills", and how is that going for you? Second, did your doc give you or prescribe for you, Nexium? If so, are you taking it as a pill, or are you dissolving? Third, did you take GasX strips or anything like that with you to MX? I did last time, but didn't need it. When I had my band, I needed it, and didn't have it, go figure. :smile1:

Also... is there anything you would recommend on getting things ready at home BEFORE I leave for surgery? I know this thread might not be the right place to ask these questions, but it seems like you've been through very similar experiences as I, and so I'm curious to know more about your experiences, and anyone else who might want to share. :biggrin0:

Thanks again for your help and support. I hope you are feeling better soon and less sore... Keep us all posted on your progress... how's the walking going? :biggrin2:

I'm still on Clear Liquids until tomorrow which will make it an even 10 days!!! Next week will be full liquids. As far as pills I have been able to take them since day 3, not a problem at all. I do have antibiotic pills that are huge and I break them in half.

My Dr. did not prescribe anything Nexium or anything like that. I have not had any hearburn either. I know some Dr's prescribe it automatically, but not mine. I was not on anything before, so I'm hoping I won't need anything now. But when I was heavy I started everyday with a Zantac or two!!!

Yes, yes, yes take gas-x you will need it just like after the band, in fact I needed it more this time because of the length of my surgery. And I was not able to get up and walk as much this time, so the gas was horrible.

As far as getting things ready before you go, I would just reccomend that the house is clean! My husband was off work for 10 days and had all 3 of his kids here for the duration. I'm going nuts looking at a messy house that they so nicely left for me :thumbup1: I tend to be a clean freak, and looking at everything out of order is driving me nuts. I will do what I can today, but not too much!

I wish you lots of luck, you will do great with the sleeve. In fact I just went to the kitchen and filled a glass of cold Water and drank about half of it in one gulp!!! I could not have any cold Water in the morning at all. In fact with the band I could not get nearly as much water in that I wanted to, it was hard because I'm a water drinker.

So far so good with the sleeve I think I'm going to LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernadette

Thank you Linda!!

Yes I'm feeling so much better, in fact I just got back from a mile and a half walk! In the rain, I live in the Seattle area it always rains :crying: At the very end of the walk I was getting a little bit of pain so I started home, it felt wonderful!

Have a great day!

Bernadette

Hi all... bummer news for me. I won't be coming down to see Dr. A on the 22nd. :frown1: My doc here in town wants me to have blood tests and follow up with him, and the soonest I could get back in with him is that week of the 22nd. So... I guess we shall see what he has to say, and then get the ball rolling.

Before I go, I did want to share with you what my local doctor said to me today... he said that even though I lost weight with the band, and have gained back since I lost my band... he doesn't think that being 210 pounds warrants another weightloss surgery. This, I thought, was odd... considering my past success. It was kind of crushing. I shut down when he told me that, because I was about to bust out crying... Anyways, that's my update, friends. I'm sorry I won't be there with all of you, but hope that I will be going down for surgery soon!

:confused1:

Thank you Linda!!

Yes I'm feeling so much better, in fact I just got back from a mile and a half walk! In the rain, I live in the Seattle area it always rains :001_smile: At the very end of the walk I was getting a little bit of pain so I started home, it felt wonderful!

Have a great day!

Bernadette