Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG Scheduled 1/27/10 with Dr. Umbach in Vegas

I live in a different state so I have to get my PCP surgical release, labs, and pysch eval done here. Looks like I'll be able to meet with a nutritionist via phone. I have found a VSG Support Group for when I get back home. (Labs and surgical release area also completed.)

I need to find someone for a physch eval and letter. AND, I need to find someone fast, but good. My work EAP wasn't any help, since they do not have anyone on their lists capable of writing such a report. Anyone know of anyone good in the North of Seattle area?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to VST! I found my own by googling for counseling services and found a clinic that listed weight loss surgery evaluations on their service page. I did a quick search for Seattle and this one doesn't say, but they do say they do assessments. Might want to give them a call and explain what you need.

Sound Mental Health

As it turns out I continued seeing the counselor who did my evaluation and it was really beneficial throughout the pre-op process and early post-op. Unfortunately I changed jobs and it was no longer feasible to keep going.

Good luck and congratulations on your date! Keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice and the welcome. I actually was able to get an appointment at Northwest Weight Loss Surgery after putting out my plea for help. The doctors there is independent and can provide services for patients outside of the surgery center's business.

I should be getting my first nutritionist appointment via phone with the clinic at the hospital where I'll have my surgery. I have a lead on one nutritionist up here & I've already found a monthly support group. Any recommendations on what to look for in a nutritionist? I have to do all of this self-pay - so if I'm going to pay, I want someone good (who doesn't cost TOO much). How often do you seek services?

By the way DeeDee - I noticed your weight loss. FABULOUS job! I'm trying not to compare myself to all the great success stories out there, but it's going to be hard. :)

Congrats on choosing your surgeon. As far as a nutritionist, I've had 3 in total between the 2 surgeries.

One was very helpful, but was very strict, and pushed RNY diet on all patients. Umm hello, I didn't have RNY.

2nd one, she was a trip, and I enjoyed her candid, and open opinions about food. She understand the ins and outs of WLS, and she was not all about rules and regulations. She focused on balanced nutrition, changing the relationship I had with food, and that is exactly what I needed.

The 3rd one, was a twit, and I didn't click with her at all so I quit going or calling her.

I think everyone's needs are different. I'm a very outgoing, sarcastic, and kind of a rambuctious type person. I can't handle bland, boring, or text book type that try to beat rules into my head. I want someone to laugh and cry with me, and educate me on better food choices.

Congrats on choosing your surgeon. As far as a nutritionist, I've had 3 in total between the 2 surgeries.

One was very helpful, but was very strict, and pushed RNY diet on all patients. Umm hello, I didn't have RNY.

2nd one, she was a trip, and I enjoyed her candid, and open opinions about food. She understand the ins and outs of WLS, and she was not all about rules and regulations. She focused on balanced nutrition, changing the relationship I had with food, and that is exactly what I needed.

The 3rd one, was a twit, and I didn't click with her at all so I quit going or calling her.

I think everyone's needs are different. I'm a very outgoing, sarcastic, and kind of a rambuctious type person. I can't handle bland, boring, or text book type that try to beat rules into my head. I want someone to laugh and cry with me, and educate me on better food choices.

Why did you leave the 2nd one? Sounds like the two of you clicked.

She is a military nutritionist, and she got orders to another base. I didn't leave her by choice, she is stationed out of state, and is due to deploy soon.

My husband is in the Air Force, and I went to her after my revision, and unfortunately, I can't follow her around the country. It's the worst part of being in this lifestyle.

Mini-Me, I used my surgeon's nutritionist throughout the process and she was okay. I saw her three times as a pre-op and for a 3 hour nutrition class and 3 times post-op. She was knowledgeable about my surgery and nutritional needs, but I wish she was a little more with it as a facilitator.

I'm the type of person that if I'm going to spend time attending an appointment then I want to get something out of it, not just check it off that I was there. Before surgery there were definitely things I learned especially about a high protein/low carb diet since that was the one type of diet I had never tried and Vitamins. After surgery she just seemed pleased with how well I was doing with the weight loss and incorporating exercise. My opinion: even if the results are phenomenal (which they weren't that great), there is always room for improvement and that was her job to push/challenge me to the next level, which she really didn't do. I feel she is there to help teach me and help me grow in the area of nutrition...I don't know it all or I wouldn't have been in this situation. As a teacher myself, my gifted students get as much feedback on how to improve their work as my struggling students...that's my job.

Two years ago I managed to lose 40 pounds by going to a bootcamp program 3 days per week, Jazzercise 3 days per week, eating Jenny Craig food, and seeing a nutritionist every other week. I really clicked with her because she provided the appropriate amount of support and push. She really wasn't too keen of the Jenny Craig program when I first began because it was a "pre-packaged program that couldn't be sustained for life." Over my time with her (and some professional development she did on her own) she began to understand that some people might always use some form of packaged food in their diets whether it was from a structured program like Jenny Craig or Healthy Choice (etc.) meals from the super market. We had a great relationship because it was a learning experience for both of us and she really knew her stuff. I stopped going to her when my schedule changed for the summer and just never returned.

I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. I'd say you'd have to try until you find one that really fits your needs, you can only learn so much about someone's philosophy/style on the phone. Good luck to you on your search!

By the way DeeDee - I noticed your weight loss. FABULOUS job! I'm trying not to compare myself to all the great success stories out there, but it's going to be hard. :)

You too will be one of the great success stories! I understand how hard it is not to compare. I see a lot of people that get to goal in 5 to 6 months, which is my hope, but their goals are so much lower than mine (I set mine on the high side of normal).

I just wanted to say thank you for all the valuable feedback.

I think for pre-op & a bit post-op, I will meet with the nutritionist who works with my surgeon. In the meantime, I will look for some local options. After surgery, I'll make a decision on whether I need face to face, phone, or no individual counseling. I am looking forward to attending the monthly support group with other sleeved patients - I think that (and this board) will help a lot.

Merry Christmas!