Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any long term VSG patients out there?

Hey All,

Looks like you have a great group here. I have been clicking the mouse all over this site. I have had a lap band for 30 months. 5'11" male 50 years old. I went from 325 to 270 the first year and have not had much use of the band since. It slipped after the first year. We unfilled, waited for it to unslip (it did) and then slowly refilled. It was a year before I got more restriction and picked up 20 pounds in the meantime. I have since lost the 20 again with the refill but now I have another slip and the band has to go. I am thinking VSG and being older and wiser I thought I would look at the complication forum and the groups that had the procedure done a few years ago and see how they are holding up. After all most everyone including me loved the band until time took its toll.

If anyone out there has a few years experience with the VSG would you mind sharing your present feelings on it?

Its decision time for me.

Thanks

I just wanted to welcome you to the forums! I am very new to this and I'm not sure we have many people posting here that are that long out since the site's pretty new. We do have a lot of people that revised from the band to the sleeve though...I know that's not quite what you are looking for. Have you checked the VSG forum on obesityhelp.com?

Anyway, I'm sorry you are having/have had such trouble with your band. Good luck on your research!

Obesityhelp.com does have more people who have had their sleeves longer than a year. It's a much older board and has been around a lot longer, so that is why there are people who have had their sleeve longer. A lot of people who lose their weight and get to goal, stop posting on boards. They are living life at the weight they want to be, so they don't need to ask questions, and sadly, they don't check in as often.

I was sleeve in June 2008. It was not a revision from the band, just virgin sleeve.

I am currently 54 years old, 53 at time of sleeve. I am female and 5 ft tall.

I lost 135 lbs in about 10 mos and have easily maintained that loss since.

I had my surgery in MX on a Friday, was out of the hospital and to hotel Sunday morning. I took no pain meds after Saturday. By Sunday I was drinking liquids with no problems and even able to swallow small pills.< /p>

I flew home on Monday morning and have had no problems post op.

I went back to work 10 days after surgery ( I have a desk job). I could have gone back sooner but was enjoying my time off.

Hope this helps