Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day Six postop.....questions...

So, I'm progressing day by day....but I have questions. I've asked on OH too, but there are so many recent patients here, that I thought I'd ask here as well.

This is a TMI question.....how long before I can expect a bowel movement? I know I'm pretty much on liquids only, but nothing here so far. I took some Miralax last night, and I'm gonna try some more today. I am also working on some more walking.

And, can you guys tell me what you lost the first week? I know I shouldn't expect much, but I am just curious. I think I've lost about 3-5 pounds, but I'm retaining Water too. I think walking will help with that.

Thanks for all the amazing support here!

Theresa

Hi there, I am on day 6 too!! I am feeling really good, surgery went well, no complications, I got to stay in hospital 3 nights which was great, my dr thought since I have young children one more night of rest would be good before getting back to mommy mode! I weighed myself this morning and since surgery morning, have lost 5 pounds. I think we do not lose so much in the first week with retaining Water. In regards to the bowel question, I have been a few times, it was more like diarreha (sp?) but my doctor said both this and not going at all was normal since we are only on liquids. He also said intiially it could have been in there ready before surgery if that makes sense?

I am struggling a little with ideas on what to have, as I am not hungry at all, but am conscious of getting "food" in. But so far everything I have had is going down normally and very comfortably which is great.

Take care :-)

Theresa,

I cannot remember when my first bowel movement occurred, but I've dealt with Constipation on and off my entire post-op experience. I think my worst one was 7 or 8 days and it took something like 3 or 4 days for Miralax to work. This was so different for me because before surgery I went at least twice per day usually. I've now found that if I haven't gone in more than a day, I'll have part of an apple, applesauce, or spinach and that does the trick. My surgeon and nutritionist said to up my Water intake, which I also did. Good luck, it should get better if you're anything like me, if not, talk with your surgeon's office so it doesn't turn serious.

For the weight loss question, I didn't weigh myself until 11 days post-op (my surgeon had me promise to wait 2 weeks, but I just couldn't), and at that time I was down 14 lbs. One thing I love about this surgery is that if you do what you are supposed to do, you will lose the weight you want EVENTUALLY. Your doing a great job so far, I can't wait to follow you along your journey!

i am almost 2 weeks post op, my doc put me on some medication to empty my stomach out.. so i was having bms at day 3, and as of yesterday i have lost 20 pounds since surgery! 10 the first week and 10 more as of yesterday! good luck!

Thanks, guys! Still nothing here, but I took a mild dose of Milk of Magnesia earlier this evening, so I'm hoping for progress by tomorrow. If nothing by Monday, one week out, I will call the office.

I think it was day 5 or 6 when I had my first, and it was actually several days of diarrhea...purple peacock poop from the stuff we were given for the sleeve test.

Once I was cleaned out I had to start taking Metamucil clear every day, to keep from being constipated. The high Protein diet does not produce much bulk, so gotta take something. You don't want Constipation or hemorrhoids, so get on it and stay on it until your diet is more normal. I do fine with one tsp of metamucil clear in a glass of Fluid daily. Even with that I only go twice a week.