Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little farther along.

Hi everyone. Yesterday I met with my weight management doctor and he said I am right on track and I can look to having surgery sometime in February. I made an appointment with the surgeon for Tuesday 12/22. I also have an orientation meeting at the hospital on Monday 12/21. Things are moving right along. I'm getting excited now.

I also met with a Psychologist yesterday and she talked about the results of a test I took to determine my state of mind. She said I was more depressed than 90% of the people that come in. I told her I thought all people who were struggling with being overweight were depressed. She said yes, to an extent but with my stats she said that it looked like a person that would have trouble with weight gain even after surgery. That scaires me but we talked about it for awhile and I think we're ok.

She also strongly supported the Lap Band surgery and said that the device has greatly improved and it's much safer than the other options. They have lost patients with the other surgeries, but never with the Lap Band. I know there are risks but from what I've read on this site, the Lap Band just doesn't seem to last long-term. She kept saying that the VSG is such a long incision and the stomach acid could impair the healing in the lower part of the stomach. She said I should bring up all these things with my surgeon on Tuesday and see what he says. I know there are risks but the VSG still seems to be the best alternative for me at this point.

Thank you all for your support and advice.

Edited by Dan S

Hi everyone. Yesterday I met with my weight management doctor and he said I am right on track and I can look to having surgery sometime in February. I made an appointment with the surgeon for Tuesday 12/22. I also have an orientation meeting at the hospital on Monday 12/21. Things are moving right along. I'm getting excited now.

I also met with a Psychologist yesterday and she talked about the results of a test I took to determine my state of mind. She said I was more depressed than 90% of the people that come in. I told her I thought all people who were struggling with being overweight were depressed. She said yes, to an extent but with my stats she said that it looked like a person that would have trouble with weight gain even after surgery. That scaires me but we talked about it for awhile and I think we're ok.

She also strongly supported the Lap Band surgery and said that the device has greatly improved and it's much safer than the other options. They have lost patients with the other surgeries, but never with the Lap Band. I know there are risks but from what I've read on this site, the Lap Band just doesn't seem to last long-term. She kept saying that the VSG is such a long incision and the stomach acid could impair the healing in the lower part of the stomach. She said I should bring up all these things with my surgeon on Tuesday and see what he says. I know there are risks but the VSG still seems to be the best alternative for me at this point.

I would not rely on a psychologist to assess which surgery is safest...go with medical research done on the different procedures. I read about lots of band patients having serious complications but I have not seen the research and statistics on that. Ask your surgeon what his/her complication rate is for various surgeries, and how many he/she has performed. Research supports that after performing 300 of any certain surgery, their complication rate goes way down.

Hey Dan, I'm glad to hear things are moving along well for you.

I'll disagree with your psych on the band stuff she brought up. The anatomy is changed is forever once that band is sewn onto the stomach, and you're right, they don't last forver, even the manufacturer of those things know they don't last forever.

Keep us posted as to what your surgeon has to say. Best wishes and happy holidays ! ! !

Hi Dan,

I met with the Psychologist this morning. I had a very different experience as mine was very supportive of the Sleeve. She encouraged me to read as much about the surgery as possible so that I'd know what to expect. I went into my surgeon appointment last Friday determined to convince him that I should have the sleeve. I had all of my information written up, but in the end, he was the one that told me that I should have the sleeve. I just slipped that little piece of paper back into my pocket.

I had a list of questions to ask him about the surgery, recovery etc. He said he was really happy that I was so well prepared and encouraged me to always come prepared with questions for him. I'm going through the Kaiser Richmond program in Northern California.

Good luck!!

Thanks all. Keep 'em coming. It's so great that we're all in the same boat and working through the same issues.

I think the Psychologist was so worried about the risk because alot depends on me. I have a wife and 7 kids that would be out of luck if something were to happen in surgery. I can see that, but I want to be thin and healthy and have longevity for my family. Is the risk worth it? So many of you say yes. I want to say yes. I want to live a happier more fulfilling life. I want my children to know a more healthy, happy, energetic, involved father. I hope my meeting with the surgeon will help me say yes.

I want to have the surgery and make these dreams become a reality.

weight.png

Hi Dan, I personnelly would NOT rely on the advise of a psychologist. They believe they know everything and try to convince people of what they want them to believe. . . so don't believe her. . . the lap band is her version of what she wants you to have, it'll set you up for failure and make her diagnoses correct. . .go with your gut feeling. . . if it says VSG then bygum go for it. . . it's your life and definately NOT HERS. . . psychologists love to pry on peoples feelings especially if they see a little weakness or a gate to poke on. . . so don't even worry about her comment about you being depressed. . . if you feel pretty good, then good for you! Only you know if your depressed or not. . . and only you can get yourself undepressed too. . . Sorry about getting onto the soapbox but that is a bunch of "poppycock" and "phewy" :crying:

Hi Dan,

I met with the Psychologist this morning. I had a very different experience as mine was very supportive of the Sleeve. She encouraged me to read as much about the surgery as possible so that I'd know what to expect. I went into my surgeon appointment last Friday determined to convince him that I should have the sleeve. I had all of my information written up, but in the end, he was the one that told me that I should have the sleeve. I just slipped that little piece of paper back into my pocket.

I had a list of questions to ask him about the surgery, recovery etc. He said he was really happy that I was so well prepared and encouraged me to always come prepared with questions for him. I'm going through the Kaiser Richmond program in Northern California.

Good luck!!

My experience with my psych was great, I actually had HER answering my questions. . . it was neat. . . mine too encouraged my decision for the sleeve. . .

Thanks all. Keep 'em coming. It's so great that we're all in the same boat and working through the same issues.

I think the Psychologist was so worried about the risk because alot depends on me. I have a wife and 7 kids that would be out of luck if something were to happen in surgery. I can see that, but I want to be thin and healthy and have longevity for my family. Is the risk worth it? So many of you say yes. I want to say yes. I want to live a happier more fulfilling life. I want my children to know a more healthy, happy, energetic, involved father. I hope my meeting with the surgeon will help me say yes.

I want to have the surgery and make these dreams become a reality.

weight.png

Your family would be, as you say "out of luck" if something happened to you even if you didn't opt for the surgery. . . either way they would suffer if you died. . . so now you have a choice, have the surgery and come out of it perfect (must trust your doctor and do your research) and be thin and healthy to enjoy your life with the wife and kids, or remain selfish and don't do anything and possibly suffer a stroke, diabetes, or worse a disability where you could not help yourself and needed someone to feed you, dress you, clean you, bath you, etc. . . . . the chosing is yours. . .

Dan,

I sat down and wrote a list of all the risks of having surgery. Then I wrote a list of my risk in not having surgery. I'm 59 and 100 pounds overweight. My family history is stroke, heart conditions and kidney failure between my two parents. They died at 88 and 91. I still have a lot of years to live, if my body holds up. I decided that I have a better chance at 30 happy years if I have the surgery. Plus, I don't want to be a burden on my son. I'd hate him to have to take care of an obese, sick mother who can't do for herself at 80 (if I made it that long).

So, my risk of not having the surgery outweighs (no pun intended) the risk of having it.

Only you know what's the right choice for you. I'm looking at February or March for my surgery. Maybe we'll be on this journey together!

Thank you all. Lots of good advice.

Don't get me wrong. The psychologist was very good, and I do have depression issues that could be a problem in the future if I don't adress them now. She also was sure to let me know that even though she leans towards the Lap Band, in the end it's my choice. She had a lot of good advice and I learned a lot in our session. I was glad to meet her.

Overall the process has been very positive for me so far. Here's to it continuing to be that way.