Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

possible problem at work.....?

hello,

i am scheduled next month,and my doctor warned me that i should not lift anything heavy for 6 to 8 weeks.

sounded reasonable so i sorted that out with my boss because my job need some heavy lifting. (80-120 LB per item moving/lifting a couple of feet)

i talked to someone yesterday who had VSG last April.

he told me that i won't be able to lift the same weight as i did before,

because except of the fat there will also be some muscle tissue missing.....

...and if that wasn't enough.... at least for 4 months.... :drool5:

can anyone confirm this??

I'm afraid surgery will mess with my work.....

EDIT:

to make answering easier.....

were you sleevers able to lift the same amound of weight 6-8 weeks post op?

Edited by tdriver

I'm no expert and might be way off base, hopefully someone else will jump in, but I don't think that is true. From what I understand, if you lose weight really fast and are not getting in the required Protein, you're body will lose muscle and not just fat, which of course is bad. In my personal experience, I am able to lift more and carry it further, but that is probably due to exercise. Now, I am not consistently lifting the weight you are, so maybe it makes a difference. It wouldn't hurt to run the comment by your surgeon and/or ask your coworker for more information. Good luck!

You'll lose muscle mass if you aren't consuming enough Protein, and exercising properly. I lost a considerable amount of muscle mass due to my post-op complications, and quick loss, but I can now carry, lift the same amount of weight that I could pre-op. I've missed a couple of weeks at the gym, but I'm hoping to get back this next week.

Once you are released to work out, I would recommend hitting the gym, or start a strength training program. It really does help burn the fat instead of losing muscle mass.

hello,

i am scheduled next month,and my doctor warned me that i should not lift anything heavy for 6 to 8 weeks.

sounded reasonable so i sorted that out with my boss because my job need some heavy lifting. (80-120 LB per item moving/lifting a couple of feet)

i talked to someone yesterday who had VSG last April.

he told me that i won't be able to lift the same weight as i did before,

because except of the fat there will also be some muscle tissue missing.....

...and if that wasn't enough.... at least for 4 months.... :bananajump:

can anyone confirm this??

I'm afraid surgery will mess with my work.....

EDIT:

to make answering easier.....

where you sleevers able to lift the same amound of weight 6-8 weeks post op?

I have a physically demanding job as well, but my product is no as heavey as your's is. I life from 20 to 30 lbs crates and boxes of flowers in Water.

I told my Dr. this and he said I'd be completely healed in 4 weeks.

thank you for all your answers. it seems "my guy" did something wrong,

he also mentioned the word "impossible" and freaked me out......

all i need is to be as strong as pre-op, 8 weeks post-op,and from your answers it seems do-able.....thanks.

I'm going back to work on thursday 6 weeks post op and I will be lifting up to 44lbs my surgeon said I would be fine no problems with the lifting 6 weeks out.