Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I just had the informational seminar at the bariatric center tonight. It's a smaller center, they only do about 2 wls a week, but their program is top notch. Lots of pre-op education and support and a very comprehensive post-op schedule with the dietician, nutritionist, personal trainer, etc. I was very surprised when the surgeon said that 80% of their patients are Roex-en-y bypass and only 20% are suitable candidates for lap band. It's all determined after the consult with the docs and filling out a long questionere. I'm hoping for the band, really don't want to take on the risks of bypass, plus I would prefer to lose slower and I'm not done having kids yet.

So what made you choose the band over bypass? Did you consider bypass at all?

i considered both. I actually looked at DS, RNY and Lap band. I like the steadiness and the long term statistics of Lapband. It was my surgery of choice.

Keep in mind...this is your body. And it is your choice to which surgery you want. If the doc comes in and says that you can't have it, or that they will only do RNY and you have no choice...that is BS. Go to a different doctor. It might be a nice place, but what it really comes down to is how well you and your surgeon connect, and how well they take care of not just your physcial changes, but your emotional changes. They have to be respectful of your needs.

Wow, if it were me I wouldn't be letting someone else decide what surgery they are going to be doing on me. If you don't want the RnY and you do want the band, then say so. If they don't let you have the choice - find a different doctor, FAST!

I chose the band over the bypass for several reasons.

1. The bypass carried too many health risks for my liking. The bypass death rate is 1 in 100 whereas the death rate from complications with the band surgery is 1 in 1,000. Much better odds.

2. I saw no advantage over the band other than rapid weight loss, which I dont want anyway.

3. Slow and steady weightloss with the band. Allows time for the skin to adjust and is healthier by far.

4. I wanted to keep control over my life. I wasn't looking for a magic solution to my bad eating habits, I was looking for help. I want to make life-long changes in myself, not keep the habits and count on malabsorbtion to do all of the work for me.

5. Easily reversible, no permanent re-routing of my insides.

I'm very happy with my decision, and I wish you all the best with yours. I would like to re-state my earlier comment though. If these Dr's make the decision for you... start shopping around, NOW.

Hi Tracey,

My doctor's office sounds similar to yours except for the only 2 wls/week. I think the numbers are about the same, too -- 80% or so choose bypass.

I considered bypass, but only briefly. I think everyone who goes for bypass does it because of the rapid results. In fact, my surgeon even told me he recommended bypass because patients get discouraged by the band because they don't lose as fast or really start good loss until 4-6 months after surgery.

For me, once I learned about the band there was no other option. I think bypass is too radical and the long term effects are too scary.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of input here. Good luck!

I didnt even consider Bypass, its not done in Australia anyway. I was nowhere near obese or miserable enough to consider such drastic action, I simply needed help to get back on the rails, and to be honest, for the extent of the problem I had, lap banding was pretty drastic. I just got goggle eyes all along the line from all the hospital staff, family and friends, but my surgeon knew where I was coming from (an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure). I knew I was on a bad track and needed help to turn it around.

Had I been fatter, more miserable, more unwell I still wouldnt have chosen the bypass if it were available.

Today I've been out for lunch with my girlfriends, had so much fun I was late picking up my boys from school. I had a ball. I eat like a normal person, I enjoy food and eating socially like a normal person, yet today is no longer one of those days that I think "oh, well might as well enjoy today and start again tomorrow". Might not eat dinner tonight as I'm pretty full. What I would have done is had fish and chips or pizza for dinner, crammed it in in the anticipation of a diet tomorrow.

I eat normally and well and can eat everything, just enough less consistently enough to lose weight. That's all I wanted to achieve from this, to have done anything else would have been way overkill.

As I checked out my flat brown tummy this morning after yesterday's Magic Tan I am also thankfull that I've lost 20kg in 5 months not 2 months. Nice and smooth, no loose skin. I look healthy and feel healthy too.

I considered bypass for a very short period of time. Once I got over just wanting the weight "gone" and talked myself into working toward my goals, I realized I loved my family too much to gamble with their wife, mom, sister, and daughter.

I know a bandster and I know a bypass patient.

My bandster friend lost all of her weight and is keeping it off (5 years). She is healthy and happy and is raising her son (now 2 years old). My GB friend lost her weight, is slowly regaining it, is very self conscious of body odor and has fragile hair, skin, and nails. She gets B Vitamin shots. Her doctor tells her it would be better if she did not have children. Her body would be unable to support a pregnancy. She is happy with her weight loss but fears she will regain all of it. If I didn't love her, I might think she had substance abuse issues from what the surgery has done to her.

I know that this is not a fair comparison. I had very limited access to role models and I understand that many GB patients do wonderfully. I just opted not to be one of them. I may have chosen GB if I was older and not hoping for more children or looking 40 years into the future. If I want to make it, I need new skills. I am working on them right now.

I agree with the other ladies that it is your body. Find a doc who will support you in the path you decide on.

Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate.

Just to clarify though, the docs don't go in and say "You have to have this surgery" and that's the end of it. They make a recommendation as to which they think would be best for you, but the ultimate decision is up to the patient.