Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me about an esophagram?

I have one scheduled for Friday. Having some issues with my band....I can either eat so much I could swallow a basketball or I'm so tight I can only eat two bites. Crazy. Trying not to be scared until I get the facts.

So with an esophagram....you drink the liquid. Is it gross? Thick? You have to drink it fast? Possible to PB on it? Considering I can PB on thick stuff these days.

Holla bandsters! Tell me what to expect?

Much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

If you're just talking about the barium test, it's nothing. The liquid isn't really thick; it's like the consistency of whole milk, maybe? Just less tasty.

You don't have to drink it fast. At my recent test they'd tell me to take a mouthful and hold it, and then swallow on their cue. Change position, do it again. If they know you're having trouble swallowing or have tight restriction, they'll let you adjust the amount accordingly.

Good luck and I hope everything checks out great!

Thanks Alexandra! I appreciate having a bit of information before going in there. One of the many benefits of LBT.

Much appreciated! I'll letcha know how it goes.....

Karen,

For my esophogram, the technician flavored the barium. I chose chocolate and though I'd never volunteer to drink the stuff, it was palatable. I wouldn't even call it "choking it down" -- it just wasn't that bad.

The whole thing lasted about 45 seconds and you don' gulp continuously. It's a swallow "click", you turn, take another swallow "click", you turn, a third time and it's over. I bet I only drank a shotglass full -- certainly not the whole 8 oz cup they mixed for me.

Good luck!

Julie, sound like you were lucky! I guess it depends on the reasons for the testing, but when I went last month I was on the table for a good long while. I must have drunk almost 16-24 ozs of it; they had to re-fill the bottle more than once. Normally, like for a fill, it's more like you describe. But I think for more in-depth diagnostic examination it might be a little more involved.

For my esophagram, the radiologist positioned me standing in front of a screen and handed me about 4 oz of barium. I sipped it slowly as he watched it travel through to my stomach and that was it... about 10 minutes and was out of there.

Elizabeth, thanks for the input.

Forgot another question....did the barium give you...uhhhh....intestinal distress? It doesn't take much for me to get the runs and I'm thinking...I have to fast from midnight on and then this barium crap will hit bottom on an empty tummy. A recipe for disaster for my tummy....thoughts?

Elizabeth, thanks for the input.

Forgot another question....did the barium give you...uhhhh....intestinal distress? It doesn't take much for me to get the runs and I'm thinking...I have to fast from midnight on and then this barium crap will hit bottom on an empty tummy. A recipe for disaster for my tummy....thoughts?

Hi Karen,

I had no adverse effects from the esophagram. For people who require a lot of barium (several cups), Constipation can be a problem and it is advised to drink, drink, drink.

Hi Karen,

I had no adverse effects from the esophagram. For people who require a lot of barium (several cups), Constipation can be a problem and it is advised to drink, drink, drink.

Yeah, the nurse today said that. To drink a ton of Fluid to flush the stuff out. Nice. It was pretty nasty. No flavor, tasted like....flavorless toothpaste is the best way I can describe.

And they also made me swallow this stuff that is almost like pop rocks. The intent was to create a gas bubble in the tummy. Yuck. It hurt. Feels like you have to have a BIIIG burp but you are instructed not to. Weird.

But it's all over now...glad I got it done.

The good news is....I got to see the films and Trink (my band) is right where she should be. I mean, I'm not the doctor, but I've seen a couple people post their films here so I know how it should look and pretty much I could see she was right there in place.

So while that's a relief....that doesn't solve the problem of what the HELL is going on!

I have an appointment with my surgeon next week to review the film and figure stuff out. But for now, no slip and for that I'm incredibly thankful.....

Hi Karen,

I am glad to hear all went well and that the band is OK. From what you describe, it sounds like you might be having esophageal spasms that would explain the open/closed patterns. Are you on any acid blockers like nexium, previcid, pepcid, etc? If not, you might want to give them a try. There are also antispasmotic medications such as probanthine and drugs that help motility such as reglan. I hope the MD gives you some answers. Keep us posted.