Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A rough patch

claraluz
Sign in to follow this  

I have been eating like a crazy person for the last few weeks. My restriction is adequate, but at night I eat the wrong foods all evening long. Evening always was my problem. I'm not gaining any weight, probably because I'm exercising. But I don't understand why I'm doing this. My life situation is not exactly ideal, but it hasn't changed recently. My mood has been good. I'm not stressed about anything. I don't get it.

I've started writing in my journal again, hoping that something will occur to me to explain this behavior and help me change it. Then again, I'm wondering if part of the explanation could be that overeating is just a bad habit that is going to rear it's head from time to time, similar to a relapse for an alcoholic.

What do you all think?

Nancy

Hi Nancy

I have no answers for you, but I wanted to respond anyway!

I think that being you have recognized the problem, you'll soon regain control. Some things we do we will never know why, if we did, we wouldn't have a weight problem to begin with! So, don't fret it, just get back to basics. Drink your Water, increase your movement, blah, blah, blah! Back to basics, take back control!

Best wishes to you!!

Nancy, I go through this from time to time too. Your theory that it's just an ugly habit that will rear its head from time to time sounds good to me! :)

I think the answer is, at least for me, to not kill myself trying to be perfect all the time. I don't want to hate myself for being unable to stick to some plan--my goal is to be healthier and happy at the same time. If that means allowing myself to "eat like a crazy person" a few days here and there so be it.

The band keeps these periods from spiraling out of control. I can't eat enough at any one sitting to do any real harm, and the effects of carbs and sugar are noticed so much sooner that I can regain control before it's too late. I think of it as a guardrail on that wagon I have fallen off of so many times before, keeping me from giving up even if I think I want to.

After a day or so I feel crummy and give myself a little talking-to. Get back to drinking Water and concentrate on breaking one little behavior that has been negative. Climbing back up out of that bad-habit ditch is SO MUCH EASIER with the band it's almost like I was never there at all. :D

Guest ACATHY

NANCY,

SINCE YOU IDENTIFED THAT EVENINGS ARE YOUR ROUGH SPOTS THEN PLAN FOR IT.

REARRANGE YOUR EATING PATTERN TO MEET YOUR EATING IN THE EVENING. OR USE Water TO FILL YOURSELF SO NOT TO EAT. OR COME ON LINE AND CHAT DURING THOSE STRESSFUL PERIODS.

GOOD LUCK!!!

CATHY

Thanks to everyone. I'm still struggling, but I'm so grateful to the band that it keeps me from actually gaining weight. And also for helping me actually develop an appetite for healthier food, which has helped during this period, too.

Alexandra, it sounds like you've been there and I really appreciate your input.

Nancy