Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Boisians

Any suggestions on places to go, things to do, must-sees?

I attend BSU for my master's degree, but via online courses. I need to make a trip this summer to meet with my advisor/graduation comittee. Any recommendations?

Hey Wheetsin,

Let us know when you will be here! It would be great to meet for dinner or something.

As far as things to see...There is an open air market every Saturday that is right downtown. A lot of people float the Boise River in the summer. Either in rafts or on innertubes. The river is running pretty high this year so it should be exciting! My favorite restaurant downtown is called Square. They make crepes - both savory and sweet! They also have great salads and soups! We also have some beautiful parks here! They are great for walking, relaxing or having a picnic.

I'm sure other's will have suggestions as well. How long will you be here?

I say head North and check out Stanley and Red Fish lake at the foot of the Sawtooth Mountains. Absolutely stunning. Bit of a drive but well worth it, in my opinion.

Depending on when you come to town - Silver City isn't so far away and its a nifty cool ghost town thingy.

Go to dinner with the Idaho Bandsters....?

Maim small furry creatures because they are small and furry (seems like this is the state sport - whistle piggin' - I've not participated).

Boise is actually a nice little city, downtown is pretty relaxed, lots of touristy type places. the state Capitol building is pretty interesting.

There's my 2 cents :)

Ooo.. I just saw this. Hmm.. how about..

Bike rides on the Green Belt.

Off road bikes in the foothills.

Like to raft or kayak? We have some world famous rivers up here, within a 30 minute drive of town.

Like museums? We have a great pioneer museum.

Take the trolly through Boise and get a bit of history behind the city.

Visit the Old State Pen. Creepy but interesting.

See the capitol building.

Check out the Birds of Prey Sanctuary south of town.

Boise has some great clubs... what kind of music do you like?

Spend the day in McCall - a quaint little town by Cascade Lake. Beautiful scenery, nice 1 1/2 hour drive north of Boise.

Absolutely see the Sawtooths, Stanley and Redfish Lake.

We also have the outdoor Shakespeare Festival, Art in the Park, and various outdoor musical stuff in the Parks.

We did have the annual Boise River Festival, but the city dang near went broke on it. Too bad really. It was a lot of great stuff to do and ended with some fantastic fireworks. Oh well.

Of course, all of this would depend on the time of year that you visit. And, we'd be happy to be your guide to the out of town sites. We jump on any opportunity to head north. :grouphug:

Hey, I am new to this but am looking for friends here locally. I am in Mtn. Home but attend BSU pretty much every day. Would love some contacts to help me navigate the band. My surgery is scheduled for this Friday in Mexico. Insurance doen't cover it here, so I am paying out of pockett.

Yasmin

"Welcome back 40 years in time". I lived there for 20 years. How did you end up in Mt. Home. I know you can't be military or retired military or you would have Tri-Care and be covered. I moved to Caldwell, Idaho in 1990 but still have loads of friends in Mt. Home. Isn't it the most boring drive in the world between Mt. Home and Boise...just sagebrush and more sagebrush. I was in Mt. Home when my first husband was in the Air Force stationed at the base there. After divocing I merely moved with my kids to town and just kind of stayed there till I met Mr. Right. There is absolutely nothing, but nothing, to do in Mt. Home. I never saw so much nothing in my life.

I'm interested how you ended up there, or were you born there. I wish you luck on your lapband journey. Mine is on hold for awhile, but certainly not permanently.

Take care,

Dody

Cripes guys, I lost my own thread. Just now found it again.

Outdoor/indoor - depends on the time of the year and the weather.

I don't know when I'm heading out yet, it depends on whether or not I take a class this fall (which determines when I graduate, etc.) I need to get crackin', but even when I'm not in class I still have to pause at some point every night and ask myself what I've forgotten to do, what assignment I've missed, because it's just not natural to have this much spare time... :)

I'll actually be coming twice, most likely about 4 or 5 months apart. I assume the best time for the meeting would be before the start of my final semester (tho I haven't gotten back in touch with my advisor yet), and then again at the end of whatever semester is last, if I graduate, to walk. I never walked with my undergrad degrees and tho I personally never regretted it, I know it bothered my loved ones. I'll have to put on a show for them this time.

Hi Yasmin! I live in Meridian - which is a lot cooler than Mt Home in the summer time. Whew!

There are a lot of bansters collecting in the Boise area now. The Idahobansters group meets once a month for Soup night, usually the last week of each month. There is also a support group that meets at St. Al's hospital the first Tuesday of each month. Some folks go to both, some dont. The support group mostly consists of people who were banded by one of the two Boise band surgeons, but the Idahobansters has folks who were banded locally, out of state, and out of the country. I'm sure you'd be welcome to join either group ya want.

Several of us try to get together to walk as well. Not knowing your school schedule I dont know who to suggest but you should join the Yahoo group (Idahobandsters) to get in contact with more local people. Not all of us are on both boards.

I hope this helped, and I hope we get to meet you soon!

You'd walk here in Boise, Wheetsin? That would be awesome. Can we come and cheer ya on?

If you do that, you'll be here in the spring/summer and it will be beautiful. Maybe a little too chilly for camping and hiking in the higher levels but certainly not too cold for some senic drives.

The only time I find Boise truly unpleasant is mid June through the end of August.

It gets stinking hot in high summer (110 degrees) and frankly, as a cold blooded Englishman, I'm just not designed for that.

The rest of the year is -usually- very pleasant. Even in winter it never feels cold (to me) and spring and fall are just superb :)

There usually something to do in Boise, no matter what the time of year.

I am of course entirely anti-social and sit inside at every given opportunity (unless there's a road trip in the mix)