Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decision in Progress

So I am in the process of getting approved for bariatric surgery. The Doctors I use do not expect you to make a decision on which surgery until closer to time.

I was looking into the Band, but I have a VP shunt and according to MD it increases my chance of infection to one or both appliances to have both and has reccommended I look into the sleeve gastrectomy.

I am doing research and like what I see, but have had a general surgeon tell me not to do it. I would like to hear from people who have had a postive and negative experiences.

I am a single mom, ICU RN, and BSN student. My life is very important. I want to be a role model for my childre and patients.

First off, welcome to VST, we are happy to have you here with us. I am sure you will hear from many of our members regarding their thoughts on the various types of weight loss surgery available.

I originally had the lap band in 2006. The first year was wonderful and I lost a great deal of weight with it. Then, I had a major overfill, which resulted in a slip. After that, things were never the same again. Whether I had fill, was completely unfilled, etc., I had a horrible time getting anything down. I basically lived on ice cream for two years because that was all my band would tolerate. Now, don't get me wrong, I am definitely not anti-band, I am pro band. For many people, it works wonderfully and I am thrilled for them. Unfortunately, it seems like we see more and more people who get past the two year mark that start having problems. I followed all the bandster rules, but it just didn't work for me.

In April of this year, I was blessed with the opportunity to get the sleeve. It has literally changed my life. I have lost 81 pounds and my quality of life has improved drastically. I am once again able to eat out with coworkers and friends without worrying about having to make a mad dash to the ladies room before my food comes back up. I can eat healthy food again. The sleeve is wonderful in that once you have the surgery, you are pretty much done. You don't have to constantly return to the doctor for fills and un-fills. You come out of surgery with the perfect restriction and it stays that way.

I don't really put much effort or thought into weight loss. I am probably not the ideal example, but I don't count calories, Protein or anything else. I have always hated doing that and said that I don't want to be on a diet the rest of my life. I don't think about losing weight. I just eat healthy and stop when I am full and the weight has been coming off. I do try and get out and exercise, obviously, but I am frequently bad about that as well. But, exercise is a key part of any weight loss program and I need to get better about it.

I was originally look at the band and then saw so many people having problems with their bands after 2 years that I am glad I didn't. I had the sleeve Oct 30 2009 with Dr Aceves in Mexicali Mx. He was the best surgeon and the experience was wonderful. I was self pay which is why I went to Mexico but I would recommend everyone I know to go to him even over US doctors because his stats are so good and because I had better care there than I have had with multiple surgeries in the US over the last 45 years. I have no idea why your general surgeon would suggest not to go with the sleeve--was he or she speaking about the experience of your surgeon on that surgery or what? The band requires way too much followup with too many complications down the road. The sleeve is a much better surgery than Gastric bypass as it doesn't mess witht he intestines and thus you will not need to take boat loads of Vitamins and mineral to stay healthy. Really, what was your gs's problem with the sleeve?

So I am in the process of getting approved for bariatric surgery. The Doctors I use do not expect you to make a decision on which surgery until closer to time.

I was looking into the Band, but I have a VP shunt and according to MD it increases my chance of infection to one or both appliances to have both and has reccommended I look into the sleeve gastrectomy.

I am doing research and like what I see, but have had a general surgeon tell me not to do it. I would like to hear from people who have had a postive and negative experiences.

I am a single mom, ICU RN, and BSN student. My life is very important. I want to be a role model for my childre and patients.

Welcome

Before you do decide, it might be a real good idea to check to see what procedures your insurance will approve if you are not self pay. Some insurance companies do not approve the sleeve. You might find this article interesting, I hope it will help:

Please read:

HomeLocal NewsNational NewsYour ExpertsFamily Health Watch: Local News

Weight loss surgery curbs appetites, has advantages over gastric bypass

from KY3 News

Story Updated: Nov 2, 2009

If you're looking into surgery to lose weight, doctors have one more option up their sleeve. The procedure is faster and less complicated than gastric bypass.

Ophelia Brown had weight loss surgery two months ago and, so far, she's lost 35 pounds. "I don't breathe as hard. I don't get tired as easy," said Brown.

The procedure is a new approach in bariatric surgery called sleeve gastrectomy. "We remove three-quarters of the stomach, so the new stomach has a new shape, looks like a sleeve or a banana," said bariatric surgeon Dr. Alex Gandsas.

Unlike gastric bypass, surgeons don't have to reroute the bowel. Other than downsizing the stomach, the anatomy stays intact so there are fewer complications.

“The sleeve actually does offer an appealing alternative for those patients who are intimidated by having a major operation such as the gastric bypass," said Gandsas.

The sleeve not only forces patients to eat less but they also don't crave food as much because a big part of their stomachs are gone.

"This part of the stomach is in charge of producing a hormone called ghrelin, which is responsible for our appetite," said Gandsas. "By removing that, the patient not only will be able to eat less, but will feel less hungry."

Gandsas is pioneering the procedure at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore because, he says, the benefits are lifesaving.

"Health issues such as diabetes type 2 have been resolved in approximately 65 percent. The hypertension's been resolved in 50 percent, sleep apnea in more than 75 percent," he said.

"Already I'm off the diabetes medicine; the blood pressure I just take now and then," said Brown.

Now, as Brown's weight goes down, her appetite for better health soars. The sleeve procedure is performed through small incisions. Patients can lose about 60 percent of their excess weight compared to gastric bypass's 70 percent.

The sleeve procedure is not yet covered by many insurance companies.