Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling anxious about surgery - Is it normal?

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, have been a reader for a couple of weeks! I am due to have surgery in about 4 weeks, and am starting to get anxious. I only made the decision to do it a few weeks ago, although have thought about it for a few months. How long did it take all of you to make the decision once you learnt about the sleeve. Is it normal to feel anxious?

I am a big sweet eater and also have always been a fast eater and I am so worried that my head hunger won't go away and that I will be battling with cravings. However, I know that I need to do this and have the support of my husband and family. I also suffer from irritable bowel and am worried it may get worse. Has anyone else suffered from IBS and got the sleeve.

On another note, this is a fabulous forum and so informative, which is just great, and I look forward to posting alot (hopefully successes) in the future :biggrin0:

I think everyone of us feel/felt nervous and anxious, scared, excited - every emotion can think of. I am not having surgery until Feb. and I wish I was going sooner. I feel like I am on a rollercoaster of emotions daily about it. I am committed to it but still feel scared. I don't think we could be human, or for that matter be smart about our health and lives if we weren't thinking about it. Best of luck to you and please post so we know how you are doing

I am having surgery 11/19 and i'm starting to freak out. I have to stop myself from thinking about the actual procedure or I really do panic. I have to keep focusing on what an adventure this will be. How it will change my life forever. It's the tool I need to finally be at a healthy weight. So yes, it's normal. I'd say it's more normal than someone going into this and feeling no fear. I have good days and I have bad days. Mostly I'm excited and grateful for being given this opportunity. My surgery is only 5 days away, needless to say, I haven't been sleeping to well. I'm sure it will be fine though and I'm ready for it!

I am a big sweet eater and also have always been a fast eater and I am so worried that my head hunger won't go away and that I will be battling with cravings.

I also am a big sweet eater. I'm not sure how this head hunger will be dealt with, but I think the goal is, if you can tolerate sweets, then have a bite of something, instead of a whole pan of something. I think it will be an adjustment but it will fall into place with a little work.

As for being a fast eater, from what I understand you will learn to eat slow very quickly or else you will not be comfortable. Also, it will take practice. I'm more worried about learning to sip Water. I dont want to take big gulps and feel any pain. That will be my challenge.

Welcome Kiwigal,

Being nervous is a very normal feeling. I was set for the band and then started to read about the sleeve and debated between the two for about a week, but am so happy I ended up choosing the sleeve. It has been really successful for me.

Two things that helped me beat the head hunger (not completely though) were to start seeing a therapist to talk about my food addictions and start to recognize and admit the emotions I was having and the way I reacted to those emotions with food. The second thing, and maybe more important, was that I lost most food cravings for the first three months post-op. Food was not an enjoyable experience anymore (like pre-op)...I did mourn it when I set out to eat something and realize that I was only going to get a couple of bites in. These months really helped me learn to put food into perspective in my overall life. Now, over the last week I actually had my first craving for something sweet. I had a bite sized candy bar that was hanging on my banister from Halloween, but I only had one. I did not feel guilty and have not touched the bag again because I don't feel like it. I feel over the next few months I will really have my willpower and self control challenged, but I know that with the help of this wonderful tool, I will be fine.

Welcome Kiwi - we are so happy to have you join us. Don't worry about what you're feeling - it's VERY normal.

As for the sweets, you may find after surgery that you can't stand anything sweet -- hard to imagine at this point, I know; however, after my surgery I couldn't stand anything sweet - what was "normal" sweet to others was sickening sweet to me. I am 5 months out and still have trouble with sweet things -which is a good thing in my opinion.

We look forward to hearing about all your successes and following you on your losing path.

WELCOME!

Yes, I will be the first one to admit that I was terribly nervous, so nervous, I was actually going to back out! LOL However, im glad I didnt, its been a great experience.

I have noticed that my hunger and desire for food has totally declined. So, when you are post op- most of your concerns will change, like Vegas said I know its hard to imagine now. I was the biggest junk food eater around and I have not even had one carb since surgery (minue the 15g that are in my Protein bars in the morning). I just dont desire pizza or cakes and Cookies like that anymore. Im glad, it feels liberating. I have 59 lbs to go until goal.....im so excited!

You will be happy when its all said and done!

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies. I am pleased to hear everyone seemed/seems to be in the same boat as me! I am really excited about it, and the most part I am looking forward to is obviously the losing and getting to goal, but just feeling normal in everyday life, and having the energy to keep up with my children. I guess I do freak out about the enormity of it and how "drastic" it sounds, but know that out of the three procedures, this is the one that would be best for me and suit my lifestyle (or the one I want when I am at goal)! Thanks again, I have my first meeting with the surgeon this week and once I talk to him one on one, I am sure my nerves will subside a little! Thanks everyone!!

I was one of the rare ones who did not have any second thoughts or fears about having sleeve surgery. I guess it is because I researched it so thoroughly and, as a therapist, have a pretty good understanding of head hunger and the emotional aspects of weight loss for me. I was so tired of the sense of failure in regard to food in my life that I welcomed with excitement the changes that the tool of the sleeve offers. I had a list of questions that I sent my surgeon and asked a lot of questions on this site. Knowledge was the key for me.

I'm anxious, a little nervous but determined. Most of my anxiety is because I'm going alone for the surgery and all the recuperation after. More worried about getting my vehicle from long term parking at O'Hare Airport in mid-December than anything. Weather could really make that a miserable event just five days post surgery.

I spent some time this afternoon cleaning out kitchen cupboards and making some homemade chicken stock. I put it up in 4 oz portions to freeze for that first week of Clear liquids. I know something homemade will be much more comforting to me than something out of a box or a can.

My surgery is 4 weeks away also...looks like we'll be sleeve sisters!

Tracy

Hi everyone..what great feedback you are giving, my name is Chandra and I'm having the sleeve on Tuesday the 17th. I am also feeling a bit nervous about missing food, it's a hard concept to imagine only taking in a few ounces of food at a time and never chugging water/ liquids again.... reading all you comments about it being normal to be nervous and having no regrets is really the best thing I can hear right now. I am new and wondering how you add the scale at the bottom of your posts....

Hi Tracy,

I grew up in Bay City, have lived in Midland for 12 years after living in Ann Arbor area previous. Did you have the VSG yet and if so how are you doing? If not when are you having it and where? Thanks for saying hello!

~Chandra

lol Chandra,

We've been chasing each other all our lives. I was born in Midland, moved to Bay City for age 1-4, then was adopted and moved to the more southern part of Michigan. Used to go to Ann Arbor every month for a club I belonged to.

I am currently banded......have been totally unfilled since June 6, 2009. Cannot tolerate even .25 cc in my band without hideous reflux and vomiting. So on December 14, my superb surgeon, Dr. Alberto Aceves of Mexicali, Mexico will remove the band, and repair any damage that has occured as he does a VSG. (I have total confidence in him).

I've been to Mexicali two other times and cannot imagine going anywhere else for a surgery. I'm self-pay, (no health insurance) and could go places that are cheaper...but the standard of care at Mexicali is stellar. I'm going alone and know that my "extended family"/ ie Aceves's Staff...will take wonderful care of me.

Don't worry about your food intake...everything will moderate out. What Protein sources are you going to use in the first 20 days? I'm using unjury...have used it in the past and had no problems with it. I ordered 18 of the convenience packets in various flavors and will take the chicken broth and unflavored ones with me on my trip since I'm spending an extra day down there and might not be in the hospital. Once I go to full liquids I can use the Muscle Milk light which I've also used with the band.

Let's stay in touch!

Tracy