Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery was on 11/10/2009

Hi All, new to the board. Ran across it today when looking for ideas other than broth, Jello and Water. I had my surgery on Tuesday and came home yesterday. I am already so over this liquid diet. I have found it interesting to see different phases from different doctors. My doctor hasn't said anything at all about Protein for the first week. Just Clear liquids. I'm not supposed to start protein until Phase II when I move to pureed foods. My DH has made so many runs to the grocery store already trying to find different things that may suit my taste buds. SF popsicles leave a horrible aftertaste, SF apple cider was way too sweet. JELLO has been good, but there's only so much JELLO a person can handle, y'know? Water has really been the only think I have preferred to have. I think I may try a small amount of thinned out full liquids and see how that goes.

I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from all of you.

Congrats on your surgery, and glad you are recovering well. I hated the 17 days of clears that I endured, but I loved the Celestial herbal fruit teas, and chicken broth was fabulous.

Look forward to hearing more from you on your progress.

Wow, 17 days?! That's crazy. Makes me thankful for the 5-7 days I have to do. DH just came home and blended me some cottage cheese and peaches and a touch of milk. Made it very thin, so it might as well been a clear liquid. I didn't have too much of it, and its not like it tasted amazing (could have used more peaches), but at least it was something other than artificial sweeteners. They are really turning my stomach.:biggrin0:

It's interesting to see how different the diets are depending on the program you are in. I never had a clear liquid phase - I was immediately on full liquids including the Protein Soups and drinks. I moved on to pureed after two weeks and then soft from week 4-12. I'm just starting the soft diet - it's nice to be able to have actual food!!

Wow, 17 days?! That's crazy. Makes me thankful for the 5-7 days I have to do. DH just came home and blended me some cottage cheese and peaches and a touch of milk. Made it very thin, so it might as well been a clear liquid. I didn't have too much of it, and its not like it tasted amazing (could have used more peaches), but at least it was something other than artificial sweeteners. They are really turning my stomach.:biggrin0:

Welcome to the loser's bench!

Be very careful with advancing your diet prematurely. Cottage cheese and peaches and milk (even blended) are not clear liquids...if you don't take it slow as prescribed by your surgeon, you risk creating a potentially life-threatening leak. Did your surgeon advise you of all the reasons for the gradual advancing in the diet?

I know it is hard to tolerate clears for a week but it is essential to give the staple line all the time it needs to heal. We'll all be worried about you! You can do it...just read all your surgeon's instructions and follow them to a T. Call him if you have questions. Don't risk ruining your sleeve and endangering yourself. We'll cheer you on when it gets hard...keep in touch with the forum and you'll get a lot of helpful advice.

Welcome to the VST family - if you check the recipe section out you might find some other options other than SF Jello and SF popsicles - there's an egg drop Soup I made that was very tasty - and I know others have posted suggestions for the clear, full and mushies stages.

Hi All, new to the board. Ran across it today when looking for ideas other than broth, Jello and Water. I had my surgery on Tuesday and came home yesterday. I am already so over this liquid diet. I have found it interesting to see different phases from different doctors. My doctor hasn't said anything at all about Protein for the first week. Just Clear Liquids. I'm not supposed to start Protein until Phase II when I move to pureed foods. My DH has made so many runs to the grocery store already trying to find different things that may suit my taste buds. SF popsicles leave a horrible aftertaste, SF apple cider was way too sweet. Jello has been good, but there's only so much JELLO a person can handle, y'know? Water has really been the only think I have preferred to have. I think I may try a small amount of thinned out full liquids and see how that goes.

I know exactly what you are talking about. but I have an idea for the apple and pineapple juice. first they have to be sugar free. then I usually put 1/4 of a cup juice then continue with water, so it is diluted. what about Soups? . my doctor put me on clear liquid diet for one month:(( I am losing but I am so fed up. anyway only 10 days to go. 20 days are over already. I know I don't want to mess with the staple line. but I will try JELLO tonight. I loved SF popsicles though. may be try a different flavor. I know everybody is different.

my doctor also did not mention anything about Protein shakes in the first month and when I asked him, he said NO Protein Shakes at this phase. he said are you trying to gain weight??. He said after 30 days I can think of taking one Protein shake daily.

one more thing,

I also enjoy a cup of tea in the morning. I use peach and raspberry flavor. sometimes green tea. I add ice to my juice. STILL, as you mentoned, Water is my best clear liquid drink. Best wishes to you.

Hi All, new to the board. Ran across it today when looking for ideas other than broth, Jello and Water. I had my surgery on Tuesday and came home yesterday. I am already so over this liquid diet. I have found it interesting to see different phases from different doctors. My doctor hasn't said anything at all about Protein for the first week. Just clear liquids. I'm not supposed to start Protein until Phase II when I move to pureed foods. My DH has made so many runs to the grocery store already trying to find different things that may suit my taste buds. SF popsicles leave a horrible aftertaste, SF apple cider was way too sweet. Jello has been good, but there's only so much JELLO a person can handle, y'know? Water has really been the only think I have preferred to have. I think I may try a small amount of thinned out full liquids and see how that goes.

I pretty much lived on clear chicken broth which I made myself and strained to be sure it was totally clear; and sobe lifewater, various flavors, which I diluted 50:50 with water because it tasted too sweet. You can dilute apple juice also like this. There are other Vitamin water beverages that are also clear. I like the sobe lifewater because it does not contain aspartame which gives me a Migraine. I found it for a dollar a bottle at Target. You can buy chicken broth but I preferred to make my own so it had more flavor, and I froze the chicken/veggie part for later to use in my mushie stage as a cream Soup.< /span>

If you can see through it and it has no particles in it, it is a clear Fluid.