Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

embarressing and kinda gross question

I was wondering if anyone noticed that when they gained weight, they started to have excessive Hair growth and acne as well. I have noticed this and it adds to my unhappiness. I was also wondering if this is something anyone noticed and then had improve as they lost weight. I imagine it must be hormonally related to the excess weight but I would really love to know if it reverses when the weight is lost.

Thanks!

I noticed when I became fat, I got acne in a very uncomfortable area. Right between my thighs. Maybe from the friction of my legs rubbing together. I haven't really noticed any Hair growth but have you had your thyroid checked? I heard that could be a symptom of a thyroid problem. Along with skin issues.

You know The acne is on my face ( as well as the hair growth). I also thought it may be thyroid related but had that checked and it wasnt that. I am hoping it resolves itself as the weight comes off. I am wondering if the birth control pill may help with that. Thanks for responding though! I hope for both of us that these problems will be a distant memory pretty soon!

I have hair growth on my chin. I've been fat my entire adult life, and it started after I had my son. I wax and tweeze them now. I don't think the Hair growth will change considering I started waxing and tweezing them years ago.

As for the acne, I had horrible adult acne until I lost some weight. I've had a couple of "breakouts", but my mom still has an occasional breakout at 51 years of age. I might get 1-2 little pimples right before my period. The acne has decreased significantly since dropping the pounds.

Thinoneday: Color me uniformed but do native americans have less hair?

On subject: My face would break out really bad when I got heavy. I took Yaz to try and get it under control. I am off the Yaz and 50 lbs down and I have not had a pimple since the day before surgery.

I did notice some minor style Hair growth on my upper lip. I would shave it off because waxing there gave me red bumps. I just went and looked because it has been a long time and thought maybe I was sporting a stach but it is gone.

The tribe I'm from Objibwe, do not have that much hair. I don't have to shave my legs or my underarms. I don't have facial hairs, don't have eyebrows (had to tattoo those in) and dont have much hair where the sun doesn't shine. . . my dad couldn't grow a mustache if his life depended on it, didn't have to shave often, didn't have chest or back hair. . . soooooo in my opinion no native americans don't have lots of hair to content with. . . I love it. . . .watch with my luck, i'll get all hairy with weight loss

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago. I was told Hair growth (in male patterns) and acne are both common symptoms. I have always had hair growth above my lip and the older (and fatter) I became, the worse the hair growth got on my chin. I have gone in to have it waxed since high school (15 years). I've only lost 66 pounds, but there hasn't been any change yet. I'm smaller now than I have been in my entire adult life, so I think this might have more to do with age (my mother has it, although not as bad as me) than weight for me. Since you didn't start getting it until you gained weight, I sincerely hope that it's just weight related for you.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. They definitely made me feel better about the issues (and made me laugh) I really have developed the issue in the past year but it is sooo bad! I hope it is related to the weight. For a while I got electrolysis but it was really painful and the hair was just increasing anyway so I thought I better deal with the issue underlying before going for any more electrolysis treatments.

What is PCOS?

I was wondering if anyone noticed that when they gained weight, they started to have excessive hair growth and acne as well. I have noticed this and it adds to my unhappiness. I was also wondering if this is something anyone noticed and then had improve as they lost weight. I imagine it must be hormonally related to the excess weight but I would really love to know if it reverses when the weight is lost.

Thanks!

I have have excessive hair on my face. And this happened as I gained weight over the years. I either have to pluck my face, or shave. It is way too noticeable to over look. I don't have acne, but I have other problems, like bad razor burn bumps after shaving, especially where my thighs rub together. I have also had boils on

my inner thighs, VERY embarrising, bad scares. They have gone away since I've gotten my ulcerative colitis under control. The boils could have been cause by the inflamation in my colon. I dunno, but I'm just glad they are gone.

I find that i have a lot of "boils" not hair growth (I'm 1/2 Native American, no hair here hehehe) but those darn boils are enough to drive me nutty. . . no acne or oily skin either

I feel your pain, I too had them. I've had as many as 7 at one time, very painful, and they leave bad scares. I attribute it to the poison in my system from my uclerative colitis. Since I've been on medication those have went away THANK GOD!!! I hated for my husband to see them, I can't imagine what he thought. It was horrible.

I feel your pain, I too had them. I've had as many as 7 at one time, very painful, and they leave bad scares. I attribute it to the poison in my system from my uclerative colitis. Since I've been on medication those have went away THANK GOD!!! I hated for my husband to see them, I can't imagine what he thought. It was horrible.

I've been sorta lucky, I get one or two at a time, I don't get scarring though, I just leave them alone to do their own thing. . . the bad thing is that since there is a bacteria in there called strepalacocci orius (spelling), when they burst another starts where the S. Orius touched. . . it's nasty. and painful! Can't imagine 7 at once. . . OUCH!!!:001_smile:

I started having bad night sweats after I lost my weight. I asked my neice who is an OBGYN and she said that fat cells produce estrogen and when you are overweight it produces excessive estrogen which can cause weird Hair growth, acne, etc. Once you lose weight these issues will probably go away. Also, EVERYONE, make sure you eat lots of Protein because the estrogen issue coupled with weight loss and not enough protein will cause the opposite effect, lots of hair loss.... I'd rather have hair in strange places....

I started having bad night sweats after I lost my weight. I asked my neice who is an OBGYN and she said that fat cells produce estrogen and when you are overweight it produces excessive estrogen which can cause weird hair growth, acne, etc. Once you lose weight these issues will probably go away. Also, EVERYONE, make sure you eat lots of Protein because the estrogen issue coupled with weight loss and not enough Protein will cause the opposite effect, lots of hair loss.... I'd rather have hair in strange places....

Ha! hair in strange places!:biggrin0: Thats a good one! My worry is that darn sweating. . . I sweat like no ones' business right now! :001_smile: Wow, don't tell me this will continue. . . hopefully it'll do the opposite after I have the surgery and lose the weight! Won't that be nice!

Thanks for the info! I will definitely try to get in the Protein. thin, I dont think the night sweats would last too long. May just be a phase as our bodies adjust. The topic of night sweats reminds me that one of my HIV + friends just found out that after 15 yrs of slow progression his T cells dropped to 38 ( this is bad for those of you who arent familiar. Should be between 500-1200). He now has an AIDS diagnosis and is getting ready to start medications and is really having difficulty coping. He was diagnosed in the late 80's when doc's told you "make a will you probably will live another 2 yrs". For the next 10 yrs he lived life expecting to die anytime and not making a single plan for a future he thought he would never have. Just in the recent years had he started to do things like save, have dreams about his future, make plans. Even though he works with me ( with people with HIV/AIDS) and sees that many of them live long healthy lives with medication, he is scared, angry and sad. I appreciate any thoughts you would send to him. Puts things in perspective sometimes when we see those around us suffer with things much more difficult than what we must worry about.