Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help ... coughing up black gunk

Hi, I am having a problem and I am not sure how concerned I should be. I haven't been able to keep anything down for a few days now (my last fill was at the beginning of April, no problems then at all). Then starting tonight, every time I layed down, I would cough up this nasty greyish black stuff. There are black flecks in it that look almost like coffee grinds. I remember reading something similar from someone before but I can't find the post - has anyone else had this happen?

I am trying to wait until morning to call the dr, but I really feel crappy. Thanks!

Just wanted to add that I have had to have small unfill in the past, however, the symptoms I have now are nothing like I had then, so I don't think my fill is too tight.

Oh my goodness....call your doc ASAP. At least call the answering service and the on-call doc will call you back to advise you. I am preband so I haven't had expereince this. It could be a minor thing or it could be larger. I don't know, but it's only a phone call.

Now, I don't want to scare you, but I have heard of what you describe as the black stuff, could have some blood in it. Blood does come out of our bodies as black sometimes. Just personal knowledge and not a qualified medical person.

I sure hope someone with more experinece will see your thread. My vote is to call the doc ASAP.

Good luck!!

DOCTOR!

Coffee grounds are usually blood in the stool, blood is red or brown usu. in vomit....BUT if you are coughing up stuff you don't recognize... Call the doc yesterday! And let us know what is going on. Please. Take care and get healthy.

Please be OK, OK? I would go to the ER, or call 911. Really! Let us know, Im praying for you!!

Hi,

I've had this....Its blood from your gullet..you need an unfill....You have strained and broken small blood vesels in your gullet.It will stop when you stop P.Bing.You must be carefull not to dehydrate.

Hopefully by now you have this under control. What did your doctor do for you? Are you doing better? Was it due to too much tightness? My thoughts are with you and hope this finds you having a better day.

vickie

I work in a local ER, It sounds like blood, if you could take a small amount in they will check you in and hemcult it , that means check it for blood , they will also draw blood work. It sounds like old blood , but do not take the chance, they might want to pass a NG tube,have them talk to your doctor first, you dont want more damage that might be caused by the tube

my thoughts are with you, keep us updated, thanks

I had a little of this when I was suffering earlier this year from esophagitis. Irritation can indeed result in bleeding, which may or may not mean there's anything seriously wrong. I turned out to be fine, just had a bad case of irritation of the esophagus.

An unfill is probably in order, plus maybe medication. DON'T BE AFRAID of an unfill!! Your health is more important than your restriction. Good luck and let us know how you're doing!!