Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I',m a Newbie and need some advice

Hello everyone, I decided to join your forum. I have been browsing this website for sometime and it appears to be a very helpful site on obtaining info from people with personal experience on the VSG. I am 4 days into my pre op diet and schedule to be sleeved on Nov. 11. Everything has been going well thus far except for the fact that I was out shopping today and began to feel weak. I had Protein Shake in place of Breakfast but I guess it did not hold for long (it was only noon and I drank the shake about 8:30). To gain strength, and avoid fainting, my son ran into McDonalds and got me a fish sandwish with unsweetend tea. I bit into the sandwich right away ...yes the bread, cheese and tartar sauce too, knowing I should not have because its not on the list of acceptable foods. Nonetheless, it gave me strength and I avoided a headache and fainting. :help:

Have any of you experience this type of event while on your pre op diet? Is is expected?

Dale

Welcome to VST - we're glad you decided to join us - it's a great big family here and we're here to help you in any way we are capable.

Don't worry overly about the slip-up with the sandwich - pre-op diets are difficult and everyone slips up now and again - the important thing is you recognized it and are aware of it - so put it behind you and next time make a better choice--that is what this surgery is about - not dieting the rest of your life, only making better choices in what you put into your body.

Keep us posted on your progress and if you have other questions, ask away!

Dan,

Yes, I was especially lightheaded and weak on the preop diet, but I found it helped if I drank something every 2 hours that had a little nourishment in it. 1/4 cup of jay Robb Protein Shake, or some sobe lifewater which has a few calories. Be sure you are getting enough Water and Protein Drinks, or you will be weak. If you get dehydrated, you can have other complications such as gout, fainting, renal problems. Did your surgeon give you instructions on this?

Thanks for the feedback. I did not know about the complications of gout or renal problems but I'm sure its mentioned in the book of info I recieved from Novus. I actually do not have a preop appt with the surgeon until the day before my surgery. But thanks for the advice on drinking something nourishment every 2 hours. I believe this will help. The strange thing about my episode is that I have gone without having absolutely nothing for breakfast in the past and lasted until lunch before I felt weak or felt a headache coming on.

I am working w novus too. I was reading some of the other forums and read about people being nauseated and having acid reflux after the sleeve. Does everyone have this?

I am working w novus too. I was reading some of the other forums and read about people being nauseated and having acid reflux after the sleeve. Does everyone have this?

I didn't have any nauseau from the surgery - however, I do have acid reflux - which I had before the surgery. Generally the surgeon likes you to be on Nexium or something along those lines for at least 3 months until the stomach realizes it is smaller and doesn't have to produce as much acid as if it were a full-sized stomach - eventually the acid production levels out.