Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aloha everyone!

I am new to all of this and I have been reading your inputs at this VSG site and find it most informative. I originally signed up in April of 2007 with the intent of having the lap band surgery. Went throu the pre-op requirements of meeting with the dietician, psych people, etc. then got shot down because my cardiologist found that I had a severe blockage in my main aorta valve. Had that corrected but had to wait a year for the stent to fuse with the artery and in the meantime, my ex-doctor had mentioned that the VSG would be a safer procedure for me. So now I am scheduled and back on track for my WSL.

I've been reading a lot about the procedure a lot but nothing compares to information that is generated from the people that have actually gone thru the procedure and trust me, I really appreciate your inputs. However, there is a question taht I don't think I've seen on the web. I take a lot of medication for gout, diabetes, heart, etc. With the sleeve, will it be difficult to swallow medication, say "horse pills'?:confused1:

Edited by u'i
typo

Welcome to VST, I'm so happy that your wls is back on track. From what I've been told, eventually we'll be able to swallow medicine, but I'm only 3 months out and haven't yet been cleared to take pills (haven't asked in a month though). I know you can crush pills that aren't time released. I've also read of people who have taken their pills from very early out, so I'm sure more people will chime in.

Good luck with the rest of your journey! This surgery has been wonderful for me.

Thanks, Deedee. How are you doing on your post op? What kind of Protein shakes/supplements are you taking?

u'i - welcome to VST. I, too, am happy your WLS is back on schedule - finding the blockage may have been a blessing in disguise in that you didn't get the band and will now have the sleeve.

If you are taking horse pills - and they aren't capsules or time released, you can crush them or cut them up small -- I couldn't stand them crushed, so I bought a pill-cutter and cut them.

I'm 4.5 months out and still have trouble swallowing large capsules; however, I had a hiatal hernia repaired during my sleeve surgery and have issues with esophogeal spasming, so I am not the norm.

Everyone is different, and so are doctor's -- ask your surgeon what his rules are.

Thanks, Deedee. How are you doing on your post op? What kind of Protein shakes/supplements are you taking?

Post op has been really good for me, but I think I need to shake some things up with either or both my food and exercise to help me reach my goal...I think I'm at a mini-stall right now. I had trouble during my first month getting all my Protein and Water in, but that has improved (although I still have days where it's a struggle). I found two protein powders I can tolerate quite well-Chike Orange Cream and Inspire Pom Razz Sangria- but everyone's taste is different so you'll probably want to try samples of a few.

Again, good luck! I'm very excited for you.

I am new to all of this and I have been reading your inputs at this VSG site and find it most informative. I originally signed up in April of 2007 with the intent of having the lap band surgery. Went throu the pre-op requirements of meeting with the dietician, psych people, etc. then got shot down because my cardiologist found that I had a severe blockage in my main aorta valve. Had that corrected but had to wait a year for the stent to fuse with the artery and in the meantime, my ex-doctor had mentioned that the VSG would be a safer procedure for me. So now I am scheduled and back on track for my WSL.

I've been reading a lot about the procedure a lot but nothing compares to information that is generated from the people that have actually gone thru the procedure and trust me, I really appreciate your inputs. However, there is a question taht I don't think I've seen on the web. I take a lot of medication for gout, diabetes, heart, etc. With the sleeve, will it be difficult to swallow medication, say "horse pills'?:thumbup1:

Dr Aceves' instructions to me were to wait three months before trying pills, but I had hiatal hernia surgery along with the sleeve so I'm a bit "tighter" than those who just had the sleeve. I crush up some of my pills. Nexium can't be "crushed" because of the way it is formulated so I dissolve it in a little Water and rinse it down. Another One that can't be crushed comes in a liquid form which I am using for now. I used to take huge glucosamine "horse pills" before surgery, but I've lost 40 lbs and my knees don't hurt any more, so I discontinued those completely ...have not taken them since before the surgery. Goal is to eventually get OFF of everything except maybe a multivit.

Thanks, deedee. Checked out your photos and it looks like you're doing really well.

Thanks, Vegas Angel. Vegas, my favorite vacation spot (most hawaiians share the same feeling). Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to chatting and receiving advice from this little network.

Wow... esophogus and hernia! What causes these? I know you wrote that you are not of the norm but I've read and also met quite a few people who have had hernias and an operation is needed to correct the situation. Are you okay?

I am really new at this and at the computer also, so if I seem a little mixed up, its because I am....Please bear with me.

Thanks, Vegas Angel. Vegas, my favorite vacation spot (most hawaiians share the same feeling). Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to chatting and receiving advice from this little network.

Wow... esophogus and hernia! What causes these? I know you wrote that you are not of the norm but I've read and also met quite a few people who have had hernias and an operation is needed to correct the situation. Are you okay?

I am really new at this and at the computer also, so if I seem a little mixed up, its because I am....Please bear with me.

Truthfully, I am not sure what causes the hernia - I guess I've never cared enough to research it and am glad that Dr. Aceves repaired it. I am doing fine, just had to learn how to deal with the spasming and I finally figure that out.

Bearded and I are thinking of going to Hawaii for our honeymoon - any suggestions?

Don't worry about being turned around - you're doing fine - and it will get easier as time goes on. We're just glad you're here!

Its nice to hear that you're okay. All of the islands are beautiful and the weather is fabulous all year round. There is no way that you can come to Hawaii and not visit Waikiki Beach on the island of Oahu. If you do come maybe we can meet and do a few together. Let me know and I'll give you my e-mail address.

My daughter had the band done three years ago but I watched her have one of her fills and boy I can tell you that is not for me. I am glad my ex-doctor recommended the sleeve. But I am still kinda scared. I have a scheduled appointment with the dietician (liver shrinking diet) and the surgical team on the 3rd of Nov and scheduled for surgery possibly the 9th of Dec. And boy have I been praying every day and night.

Hi, Cajun. I'm a little stupid here but how would the hernia make you a little "tighter"? I am an inquisitive person and don't mean to offend. Congrats on your 40 lbs lost and I'm glad your knees no longer hurt. I'm just starting with the "arthritic knees" so I can kinda relate to the pain.

Thank you for replying to me and educating me also.

Hi, Cajun. I'm a little stupid here but how would the hernia make you a little "tighter"? I am an inquisitive person and don't mean to offend. Congrats on your 40 lbs lost and I'm glad your knees no longer hurt. I'm just starting with the "arthritic knees" so I can kinda relate to the pain.

Thank you for replying to me and educating me also.

Aloha!

You asked on an earlier post "what causes hernia"? Being obese can predispose a person to getting a hiatal hernia, and my surgeon always repairs any hernia like this when he is doing the sleeve surgery. It's actually very common and lots of people don't even know they have the hernia. It just takes a stitch or two to close up the defect in the diaphragm, to repair the hernia. It's not a big deal at all. But it does seem to cause a bit more esophageal spasm, I guess because the esophagus is not used to being constricted a little where it enters the diaphragm. So that "constriction" causes a bit more discomfort when food passes through that area. You just learn to take smaller swallows, and wait to let any "burp" come up before you take another swallow. If you don't wait to let the burp come up, the air bubble in your upper sleeve gets bigger with each swallow, and that hurts more and more.

I noticed when I first started drinking after surgery, when I first felt the slight discomfort (air bubble), the temptation was to swallow another sip to "get it to go down", but that is the opposite of what should be done. Wait to burp. Then you can take another tiny sip.

Now I am 5 weeks post op, and only occasionally have this need to burp, so it gets better as time goes along. My sips don't have to be as tiny (but I don't take huge gulps like I could before surgery).

Hope this helps.

Hi, Cajun! Thank you so much for your reply. I am getting close to my surgery and you are really being an angel by answering my questions. I tried talking to my daughter about her lapband surgery to kinda get an idea of what to expect, but her thing is "Don't worry. You'll be fine."

That is really nice to know about the little burps and I think I would have been like you. Swallow to make it do down. Thank you so much.

If you would, Cajun...How was the "ordeal of drinking the barium" to see if there was a leak? I was told during our pre-surgery meeting that it is about six ounces and doesn't have a good taste but it is necessary. Being that the VSG was just performed, can you swallow the barium one time or do you have to "baby the drink".

P.S. Sorry that I am not answering right away but I also take care of granchildren and my invalid hubby on a daily basis. But I'm here and look forward to your help. Mahalo (Thank you) :001_tongue:

Hi there,

Honestly, I don't know what causes

hiatal hernias, but it seems like more of us have them repaired during sleeve surgery, than people that don't have one at all. I had one too, and I didn't have spasms.

I take some pretty good sized capsules for interstitial cystitis, and I have taken them since a week after surgery. I tried opening them up and putting them in liquid, but they tasted too nasty. I have had no trouble taking them and I had my surgery 6 months ago.

Feel free to ask anything. We are all glad to help.

Dr Aceves didn't use barium as the risk of it leaking into the body if there is a leak. He used Methylene blue and then the fluoscope was used with the x ray hidrosoluble liquid. The taste of the blue stuf was disguised with apple juice in 4 dixie cups that we drank over the period of an hour. The xray hidrosoluble was two gulps that we were encouraged to drink in big gulps. That stuff was bitter but over in a short time.