Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op diet-second week

I am being sleeved by Dr. Aceves on Oct 30. With his permission, I opted for two weeks on the high Protein, low fat, under 30 grams of carbs per day diet. The first three days were tough with constant cravings, constant thoughts about food and blood sugars bouncing out of control. I am diabetic and had been taking Glimperide 4 mgs daily, Novolog 15, 15 and 20 units daily and Byetta 10 units twice daily and Lantus 25 units at night. Now I am not on Lantus or Byetta and have reduced the Novolog to 12, 12, 15 and may get told to cut the Glimperide in half. This is all pre-surgery! I am sure that my liver will be in much better shape and that I am doing what I can control to assure that my surgery is safe and with little blood loss.

I am also doing hypnosis about pain control, being able to tolerate the liquid phase and having Healing Touch sessions to calm my anxiety and prepare the body for surgery. I have three more days of work and then can focus on packing, relaxing, and keeping my immune system healthy for surgery. Life is good.

Has anyone else used hypnosis or massage to prepare them for surgery?

You're doing great Norma and will be well prepared for the entire experience. I didn't use hypnosis, but then I have a very high pain threshold but found the pain minimal considering it was my first major surgery. As for massage - that's good for relaxation anytime!

Oh you must be getting so excited. I am excited for you. You are so prepared...good for you. I like you am starting the pre-opt diet early. I am so up for massages..as I love getting them. I look forward to hearing about your experience. I have my surgery with Dr. Aceves on November 10.

Norma,

What a great way to prepare! You will be SO ready for this! Let us know how you are doing after surgery. I loved Dr Aceves and Dr Campos...they are awesome surgeons and will make you feel so relaxed and confident. You could not be in better hands!

So, thought I'd update everyone. Still doing the pre-op diet. I am 2 days before surgery now. Today I had the best 2 hour massage. My therapist is so good that I would consider marrying him for the massages alone. :frown1: So tonight I am repacking again. I don't want the bag to be too heavy and doubt that I will need much. I have to take my CPAP and am trying to get that in the suitcase as I don't want to have to mess with carrying it separately. I know that I can make do without magazines as long as I have my laptop. I am not taking any make-up or hair styling products-just a couple of pjs, underwear, socks, lightweight robe, my medicines and me. My cat keeps trying to burrow herself into the clothes in the suitcase--I will have to be careful not to pack her. Time is moving oh so slowly the closer it gets.

I just can't wait patiently. I want the sleeve now!

Norma

You are smart to pack light. I took just one small rolling bag, had a cpap in it and just a few items. I just wore my crocks...took no other shoes because they work for the shower, slip on easily, great for the whole trip. I did carry my pillow and was glad I had it. Also packed a heating pad which I used (and shared with another sleever)...was glad to have it the first two days as it helped with the gas pain. Wore one set of clothes, took one other set only.Took one PJ set. A couple pair of undies...can wash them by hand. No makeup, just like you. Took deodorant, toothpaste and toothbrush, flossers. They supply Shampoo, and soap for bathing. I took some warm socks and used them. Took my small email computer, but it would noto pick up a signal but another sleever shared so I could read my email.

I wore a money belt to carry my passport and a little cash. Safer than a purse and easier too. Be sure to bring about $75.00 so you can buy two packages of nexium before you leave the hospital. There are several pharmacies right by the hospital. Get a prescription from Dr Aceves for it, so if inspected at the border you can show your prescription with the pills (doubt you will be inspected). Nexium costs 100 bucks for a month supply in the US.but half that in Mexico. I wish I had bought a three month supply. Dr Aceves will give you a two week supply, but you will need more. I'd take 100.00 if you have a companion so you both can eat supper the night before surgery, and your companion will need a little to eat while you are dining on apple juice and broth post op. Ha Ha. Credit cards work too.

They did not supply washcloths so if you want any, take them. They do supply towels.

Sanitize your shower before leaving home. I made sure to give my house a good cleaning too. so I would not have to worry about it for a good while after surgery.

I don't usually check my cpap baggage but since I was traveling alone, I did check it at the curb in San Diego, when Ernesto dropped me off. That way I did not have to worry about lifting it and getting hernias at my incision sites.

Be sure to have Nina's phone number with you. My flight got delayed and I had to call her to make alternative arrangements for my lab testing and first night stay, because I could not get a connecting flight until late in the day. Just call her ASAP if you have any delays. They are used to handling this kind of thing.

I also wore an N95 mask on the plane going and coming, to keep from getting the flu (which is even more prevalent now so I highly recommend it). In the airports I moved when a person who was coughing sat next to me, and I tried to stay out of crowded areas as much as possible. Sounds kind of paranoid, but I did not want to have the flu post operatively...that would have been miserable.

I hope this helps. Am excited for you! Keep in touch!

Like Norma, I decided to start my pre op diet early and see how the shakes and clear Protein Drinks went down. Isopure is awful! Not doing that. Not sure what to do that first week yet but tried the GNC vanilla shakes and liked them but feel like someone else said they would be too sweet later on, maybe thin them with more soy milk. Liked the soy powder better. So am doing two shakes and then evening meal of meat and veg, no carbs or limited just yet and I lost 5 lbs in two days. I also used to have 2 glasses of wine almost daily and don't do that so that is a hugh drop in carbs for me. I feel better! Bought a digital scale. Saw dee dee's tip on Bariatric eating.com's pom razz sangria of 30gr Protein and that looks really good. As always the best to you all. Thanks for the great tips Cajun. Come on Dec 4!!!