Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal?

Hi All,

Today I got my second fill---another .7cc (in addition to my first fill of .6). When I was with my Dr. she was drinking Water and said to me, "Isn't it annoying that I can just chug Water like this when you have to drink slowly?" I told her that I can chug liquids easily, and I could after my second fill today too. I did lose 4 pounds (in a month and a half), but I still do not feel very restricted. I ate a grilled cheese sandwich (thin rye and minimal margerine) the same day as my fill. Please advise me--is this normal? Am I just one of those people who needs more fills than some others? Both fills were easy and painless, so that is a good thing. I realize that I am rambling, but how would I know if the band has slipped or has a leak? I have lost twenty pounds in about 3 months, but most of it was right after surgery. I do eat solid foods, mostly avoid white bread, rice, potatoes, and sweets, and I exercise regularly.

Again, does this sound like it could just be a normal banding stage or do I need to be concerned that I might have a leak or that my band has slipped?? Thanks for sharing and responding to my neuroses.

:)

Hi Sultana,

A total of 1.3 ccs in your band doesn't actually sound like a lot of fill to me. Many people get up to 3 or so before they feel significant restriction. Is there some reason your doctor is giving you so little at a time?

So yes, my feeling about your question is that it is indeed normal. When I am tight right after a fill I can't really chug Water (though I don't need to sip it, either), so if you tell your doc that you can she might see that as an indication that you are not restricted enough.

You wouldn't know if you have a leak, but a slip would probably create some symptoms of reflux or heartburn. I take it your doctor does not use fluoroscopy for fills? If you're worried, you might want to see if you can get your next fill that way, which would both help you get the proper fill and set your mind at ease about the positioning.

I had a fill yesterday and today sipping Water is a chore!

My DR put 2 cc in(on top of the one I already had) and when i drank that stuff it was closed tight.He took.5 out and i took another sip.He said it was going too slow and wanted to take .2 out but i refused;) I promised that if i could not eat properly i would call him.I crushed two advil and my thyroid med this moring with a sip of water and felt it really sitting there.

Yesterday for supper I could eat half my salad and i felt VERY full.

So,i think maybe you are not very restricted but totally normal.

Chantal

ps I have a large band(11)

Thanks Ladies,

I do feel better. I suspect that the reason that my doctor only fills in such small increments is because that might be enough or too much for someone else. I have another appointment early in May, and I will discuss the issue. Before then I am going to e-mail her and let her know that I still feel very little restriction. I certainly don't want to have difficulties eating and drinking, but I do want to get this weight loss rolling. It is frustrating.

Alexandra, how is your latest fill going? I love your new picture. And thanks Chantal.

I certainly don't want to have difficulties eating and drinking, but I do want to get this weight loss rolling. It is frustrating. Alexandra, how is your latest fill going?

Funny you should say this, and ask about my fill...I have been rehearsing a post I was thinking about making. My fill seems to have slacked off a LOT recently, and I have been able to eat way more than I was only last week. I also can eat faster, which is my particular bugaboo.

My weight bounces around a lot, and the number I post below is only put there after I've reached it twice at least. I got down to 271 early this week, and was waiting to hit that again before changing my sig. But the last two days I've been eating much more, and this morning I was at 277!! Blech.

I'm not panicking or anything...yet. Today I am thinking about drinking a lot and not snacking, which is getting hard since my restriction dropped. But it may very well reappear so I'm going to give it a week or so before thinking about another fill. My next opportunity won't be until mid-May at the earliest, no matter what.

Thanks for asking--you made me come out of the closet! :)

Hi Sultana,

It sounds like you have gotten some good feedback, but I thought I would add what my doctor told me at my first (and last) fill. She had originally planned on giving me only .5 cc (I have a 4cc band) for my first fill, but a rep from Inamed had just been out for a visit and told her to start first fills off with at least 1cc. So, I left my first fill appointment with 1cc.

I definitely eat less than pre-band, but not enough to lose and keep the weight off. I keep jumping up and down. I can chug Water, eat anything I like as well as eat it fast and take big bites. The only thing that feels weird going down is bread and it doesn't hurt or stop me from eating, I am just aware that it is going down.

I am supposed to weight until the end of this month for another fill, but I am getting a bit impatient. I eat only when I am hungry and I try to track my food on fitday.com. Right now, I am eating somewhere around 1400 calories a day. I would much rather get to around 1200, but I am too hungry when I restrict my calories to this degree.

I too do not wish to get to a point where eating is difficult, things get stuck and I PB, but I would also like to feel more restriction than I currently have... No sweet spot yet, but I'm not giving up because I am better off now than I was 2 months ago.

Take Care,

Anne

Hi,

Isn't is frustrating sometimes how fills vary? I personally think, both before and after my banding, that those dreaded female hormones play a significant role in appetite and in all kinds of swelling and Water retention. Does your recent weight gain coincide with a hormonal fluctuation perhaps? I have heard from others here that sometimes fills do take a while to kick in, and that the restriction does tend to fluctuate (for hormonal or WHATEVER reasons). I think it is positively SEXIST that the two gentlemen who I have seen post here (Leo and ??) have lost tons of weight with no fills!!! Guys, really, I am happy for you!!

Please keep how ever many chins you may have UP Alexandra, and thanks for sharing. Frustation needs empathy!

:)

Hi Anne,

What you wrote was extremely helpful because it is exactly my case! I am now up to 1.3cc and I too can eat anything and chug liquids. I will be getting another fill on May 5. I will be very anxious to hear about your fill at the end of the month, so please FILL us in! I have to agree that I do feel much better already too only losing about 20 pounds. Even though it has been VERY slow, the numbers have only gone down at least. How about this: Being the extrovert that I am, many people knew about my surgery, and I did lots of explaining about the difference between lap banding and gastric bypass, but I still feel like people are looking at me and thinking "....still fat". Do you (or anyone else) ever feel that way?

I agree with everything that is being said. I have a really tight fill right now and am suffering. it is at 3 cc (a 5 cc band). i definitely could not dream of eating and can drink in such small sips it is a joke. It is not fun. My dr. said to wait and see if the swelling goes down before doing an unfill so I am trying to hang tight. In the mean time, I have had this tight fill for 3 weeks.

Hi,

I'm so sorry that you are so miserable. I guess a happy medium is not an easy thing sometimes. How much fill did you get at a time? Don't you think that after three weeks you have suffered enough? I guess the only up side is that you have probably lost a good deal of weight, but what a price! Please hang in (I would go for the unfill!), and keep us posted. Does anyone know what the capacity is for an Inamed band? I have one, and am not sure.

How about this: Being the extrovert that I am, many people knew about my surgery, and I did lots of explaining about the difference between lap banding and gastric bypass, but I still feel like people are looking at me and thinking "....still fat". Do you (or anyone else) ever feel that way?

I can SO relate to this! I only told a select few, but no matter how much those people swear they understand I can still sense them wondering why I'm not thinner already. It's hard not to mind, but I have to remember that I understand this process way better than they ever could. I mean, if any of those people lost 45 lbs they'd be hard-pressed to stand up straight! But on me, it's barely noticeable. Even though I'm wearing clothes that are several sizes smaller, I can't see any difference in photos (which is why I haven't posted any). So I guess it's not surprising that friends can't see much of a difference, either.

But then I remember that this is truly the way I wanted it! I hate being the center of attention and would have DESPISED constant comments on how wonderful I look, how much weight I'm losing, etc. This is SUPPOSED to be a process that doesn't result in shocking changes. That's what I keep reminding my friends who have the gall to say anything to me about it.

Hi Gang,

I agree Alexandra; it is hard not to notice that people are mentally clucking (some actually greet me by looking at my stomach now!), but I can surely deal with that. The people that matter to me know the situation, and the rest can amuse themselves how ever they see fit! It is most certainly the least of my worries at this point. I suppose that since it is taking me a while to get some real restriction so my band will be effective, it adds to my frustration at not losing weight faster. It's like I am an addict waiting for my next fill!! Even though I am very extroverted I do not like to be the center of attention either. I have told my husband many times NO surprise birthday parties; I would HATE that! I like people, and they like me back, but I prefer it to be in small doses! Hang in there.

Re: Band-ignorant- friends.

You know, this very idea is why I'm not telling people about my band. I thoroughly understand that most of the world does not "get" obesity. And they won't "get" the intricacies of losing weight with the band. I'm just beginning to understand. There are so many variables.

But I was so tempted to share it with old friends this week. I am a "sharer" by nature. We were visiting friends in Richmond, Va., and I had to "bite my tongue" several times. As much as I love them and respect their intelligence, I know they would never be able to truly understand going to these lengths to lose weight. I'm glad I didn't tell. I would have spent the whole visit talking about the band. Instead we talked about non-weight-related things. It was nice to have a break from the band. It is still very new for me (6 weeks), and I've been completely consumed by my experience. It was healthier for me to have a vacation from talking about the band.

I don't want my life to be only about the band. So, I just realized that I'm not sharing it also because I don't want to be a "band" to myself and to everyone else. I want to be me.

I share with all of you good people, one good friend, my banded sister, my husband, my son. and that is enough for me

candy

I don't want my life to be only about the band. So, I just realized that I'm not sharing it also because I don't want to be a "band" to myself and to everyone else. I want to be me.

Brava!! I see this as an EXTREMELY healthy attitude. It's hard enough to take this step in our inner selves, why add to the burden? Thinking about other things is crucial to staying sane on this journey, IMO.