Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I chew ice to get water intake

I love chewing ice- forget the whole sexual frustration, its bad for your teeth, blah blah, I can only handle one problem at a time. I gave of soda, but I can't seam to give up the ice. Is it okay to chew ice with the band:help:

Sara, I can't think why this would cause any trouble! I must admit, I don't think I've ever seen this question posed before.

As far as your band and ice goes, chew away!

Hi Sara...

Pagophagia is specifically a pica for ice (appetite for substances not fit for food) and can be a specific indicator for Iron defiency anemia. I remember my Mom chewing a whole tray of ice every evening when she took her bath and she was anemic. You may want to get your Iron levels checked... just a thought... it might save your teeth. :eek:

I am a cronic ice eater.

I had a partial hysterectomy to assist with the anemia.

I still ate ice, as it was my only source of Fluid intake. I could eat a 5 pound bag in one evening. I would carry a 10 pound bag to work with me, and have it gone in two days.

I had a crazy woman, a nutrionist honestly yell at me screaming the pica stuff.

My attitude is this: It is your body craving somthing. Mainly Water.

I am not a soda drinker, coffee or tea drinker. I took Fluid in by eating ice.

Everyone's body is different.

Now to get my Water in, I buy 16 fld oz bottles and freeze them. I obviously like my water/fluid very cold. But the ice eating is down to zero - unless I am at a resturant and can not stand to sip on tea any longer, and dump it into my husband's glass - then I chew the ice in mine. I have yet to drink any (tea) more then almost a quarter of a glass of somthing, then dump it out.

So I am sticking to my water bottles until I tire of them, then I will more then likely go back to my ice eating ways.

But I am weird, so I may not should have posted to your thread.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought you shouldn't eat ice... my only concern is that this desire to chew ice may be related to a health problem and so you may want to check this possibility out. Even after my mom was treated for her anemia... she still enjoyed chewing ice...she just didn't crave it as before.

when i was pregnant i got into chewing on ice. my husband actually made a joke about how no matter what we did on the weekends, we had to always stop at the fast food places, get two cokes, and two extra cups of ice. i would drink my coke, chow down on the ice, and by the time i wanted more, his coke would be done and i would have his ice. i am still the same way. But my doc thought it was anemia, and it was not. Some people are just ice chewers. And I am one of them. and I have a strong jaw to prove it LOL One thing to keep in mind...yes...you can use the ice for your Fluid intake. But one cup of ice (unless it is a solid cup of frozen liquid premeasured as liquid) does not equal a cup of Water. i did a test, and my ice maker crushes a cup of ice that will melt to a little over half a cup of Water. So you might need to eat twice as much in volume (or what seems like twice as much) to get your Fluid intake in.

Hope that helps!!

Thanks for the answers. I kindsa hava a problem with ice being the whole pica thing- Most people eat frozen things often- its not dirt or glass. However as a Fluid intake I find it a great way to get my intake- Anyone know if its still a pica thing if you suck on it?