Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction and Concerns

Hi guys!

I'm Lisa, 33 years old 300lbs. When I started this journey I first thought the band was the right choice for me. After taking my pysch evaluation and asking questions, I am thinking the Sleeve is going to be a better fit for my life.

Biggest reason, I travel A LOT. I travel for work abou 45% of my time and I am concerned about getting refills etc in a timely manner.

The center I am signed up with uses laproscopic surgey to do the VGS, but I am not sure if that requires an overnight stay in the hospital or not. I am a self pay patient, so I guess I need to find that out :thumbdown:.

What have your experiences been, does anyone wish they would have gone with the band? What can I expect as far as recovery, etc?

Thanks for your help,

Lisa

Welcome Lisa.

I am only 5 weeks out and thought at first I was going to get the band. Then I read about the problems. I kept reading. I hung out at the lband forum and saw just how many problems some people were having. I started looking at the sleeve. It took a little while for me to make my mind up but I am so glad I decided on the sleeve. I have never once regretted it or wished I had got the band. It is not like my recovery has all been roses and daisies but for having a portion of your stomach removed it actually has been really easy when looked at in context.

My only troubles now are getting enough Protein and calories but at 5 weeks out that is normal. The old timers around here keep me motivated and tell me I am normal. For the first time in my life I am in full control of my eating. What a great feeling.

I would be concerned about getting the band if you travel a lot. I have heard airplane travel and the band = not so good. Maybe a previous bandster that converted can talk more about that part.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights and 3 days. I needed to stay overnight. Going home the same day would have been impossible in my opinion. I could not swallow anything (per doctors orders) and needed pain meds by a pain pump or shot through I.V. The next day I could have gone home but to be honest the hospital bed that moves up and down was nice and I needed to have an I.V. to keep me hydrated because I could only drink about 1/8 to 1/4 of an ounce at a time.

Were you able to get up and walk shortly afterward? I am scared to death of clots, and my hope is i will be able to get around after to prevent them.

Welcome to the forum IGDiva.

I also planned on getting the band until I did some research. Too many problems. I will be getting the sleeve next week.

Charger, from my understanding you will start walking later the same day as surgery. Most Drs. also use the new leg band things that velcro around your lower legs. They tighten and release on your legs with an automatic air pump.

Edited by Ky.hen

Were you able to get up and walk shortly afterward? I am scared to death of clots, and my hope is i will be able to get around after to prevent them.

Yes I was walking within a few hours of surgery. I had the velcro leg things also. I needed someone next to me though, just in case and to help me with the IV cart. I got the bad one, kind of like getting a bad cart in the store. I had IV cart envy. The lady in the room with me had a perfect new IV cart. She couldn't even get out of bed she was so sick! And I get the crummy one? ........ Anyway you will be able to walk. Watch the catheter line cus if it gets tugged you will know it.

will they put the cath in while im a sleep? pls say yes. LOL

I was up and walking about 3 hours after surgery and made sure to get up and walk often. Also, not all doctors use a catheter--mine didn't!

Welcome Lisa - I never had the band; however, from what I have read/heard, you'll be much better off with the sleeve. I'm very happy with mine. The surgery was very easy and the recovery was minimal as well. I was back to work within a week. You'll be tired for a while due to lack of Protein, and the fact that you've had major surgery; however the energy level improves once you're able to get in all your protein.

Believe me, I could not get that band out of me fast enough, and only wish I had heard about the sleeve first.

I flew to Mexico by myself and had a wonderful experience with Dr. Aceves and staff. I was in the hospital for 3 days, but I spent most of my time walking around outside because I was so bored in the hospital. I felt great after the first 24 hours. It was no problem flying home and went back to work in less than a week.

will they put the cath in while im a sleep? pls say yes. LOL

They should. Mine was put in while I was asleep. It was not as bad as you would think but not something I want to have in just for the fun of it. Ask your surgeon about the cath and when it will be put in. You can request it to be put in when you are under if he/she uses one.

What was the total cost of the whole enchilada for you and your family?

Does this include air for all, plus the families hotel, meals and spendingmoney, and your sleeve?

Edited by Steph_123

How much did everyone pay for the sleeve w/Aceves? What about the travel for you & family? Do they pay for the families hotel/food?

Mine was $9500. We drove from LV to Calexico and Ernesto picked us up there - we left our car in a 24/7 gated parking lot - it was $3/day. Dr. Aceves' cost includes one night for you and a companion at the Lucerne Resort after your pre-testing. They do not cover meals. It also pays for all of your pre-testing, surgery, anesthesia, 3 days in the hospital, and your post op tests. Your companion is allowed to stay in your room - they have very comfy couches and will give you the sheets/blankets/ pillows to make it into a bed at night. It does not cover food for your companion; however, there is a cafeteria in the hospital that has GREAT food and the prices are extremely reasonable and you get a lot of food. I know some people pay more if they are a revision from band/sleeve; and some paid less as Dr. Aceves had a special price during the summer. Hope this helps.

You were so lucky to be so close to Dr. Aceves. If I were that close, he would have been my surgeon. I am in NorCal, near Sacramento though. Mexicali is a long way from my home. For you guys, you saved a fortune, not to mention your health, priceless.