Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help! I need to find an insurance that will help cover this surgery...

Hi! I'm currently banded and I've been having some issues with banding. I have been reading about the VSG for some time now and am getting more and more interested. I am not interested at all at getting re-banded, and even if I couldn't be Sleeved then I would probably just end up having my band removed all to gether. It just didn't work out for me no matter how hard I've tried and the side effects of it is more than I can take anymore.

Anyway, It's open enrollment at work and I'm able to make a health care provider at this time. However, I've heard Kaiser does perform this surgery - only I'd like to avoid Kaiser to be perfectly honest. I grew up with them and I really don't care for them at all. I purposefully stayed away from them from the time I was able to provide my own health care.

I have until October 9 to make any changes to my HCP. Thanks for any help you might be! :)

What are your choices besides Kaiser? They do perform the VSG in some places, but not others, so you should make sure they do it where you are and that they don't just say they do it, but then only do it for a few exceptions and not anyone who wants it (that's happened to some friends of mine)>

What are your choices besides Kaiser? They do perform the VSG in some places, but not others, so you should make sure they do it where you are and that they don't just say they do it, but then only do it for a few exceptions and not anyone who wants it (that's happened to some friends of mine)>

Well I'm in Sacramento, and this is the area that Kaiser refers their patients to the area mentioned in another thread. Also, my Mom works for Kaiser (which is why they were my provider growing up) so I'm asking her to get some insider info or brocures on their bariatric department. That will probably help alot.

I will contact my Personnel Dept to find out all my health care options to help with my decision. It doesn't sound like my health providers cover this surgery though. I know Blue Shield that I have doesn't (which really stinks!!)

Kaiser up here is weird about the VSG. Get your mom to find out which places *really* do it. Some say they will but when you try to get it, they always have some reason why they don't want to. Luckily, this is changing, but it often depends on which surgeon you get referred to. I friend of mine who lives in Santa Rosa had it done at Kaiser as one of their first patients in her program. I'll ask her what program she used. (I'm guessing Richmond.)

Anthem Blue Shield and UHC absolutely don't. Cigna and Aetna have been known to but only on appeal.

Kaiser up here is weird about the VSG. Get your mom to find out which places *really* do it. Some say they will but when you try to get it, they always have some reason why they don't want to. Luckily, this is changing, but it often depends on which surgeon you get referred to. I friend of mine who lives in Santa Rosa had it done at Kaiser as one of their first patients in her program. I'll ask her what program she used. (I'm guessing Richmond.)

Anthem Blue Shield and UHC absolutely don't. Cigna and Aetna have been known to but only on appeal.

Thanks for this.. I was just looking into them right now. I guess no need to look further. My only other choices are the one I have (and they don't cover Sleeve) and Kaiser. :biggrin0: I will look further into Kaiser, and please do let me know what you find out from your friend! Much appreciated! :)

Several different expenses typically are associated with gastric bypass surgery, such as testing to determine eligibility for gastric bypass surgery, pro-admission testing, in-hospital costs, surgeon and other doctor fees, and post-surgery medication and care. Even if your insurance company will not cover the actual procedure, they may cover one or more of the other costs related to your gastric bypass surgery.