Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Kid In Town - Costs

Hello Guys and Gals,

I am in the early research stages of the LapBand and have ruled out gastric bypass surgery since finding out about this procedure. I am extremely excited about what I have learned and feel I have rationally thought out every aspect. The one thing that has deterred me is the cost. I am willing to pay for it (since my insurance doesn't), but wanted to know a guesstimate on what you all were charged. My doctor fees is $3,000 then the hospital charges are $11,400....so about $14,500 total. Is this the realistic price I can expect from most providers/surgeons?

I was hoping that maybe there was a specialty clinic that charges less. I know hospitals expect insurance to cover a lot of costs incurred while in their facility and it can get out hand. I live in Mississippi, but willing to travel for this procedure. I understand quality over quantity and want this procedure safely done. I can start my "cookie jar" collection now, but at that rate it may take me a year or so to save to have it paid upfront which is allegedly required.

Thanks for any cost information!

That looks about the average from what I've read on this site. Some give cash discounts, which to them is self-pay. Many go to Mexico where the price seems to be around $8,000. Keep reading this site and you will probably get some very good information on costs, options, and locations.

Good luck

Mine is going to be around $17,500. I do have insurance so will only have to pay 20% of the surgery. I will have to pay 100% of fills and all the pre-op testing.

Thanks barbara465, I saw your doctors website while researching. I am originally from Houston and thought about contacting him since my Dr. here was the only one I've talked to thus far. The Mexico thing sounds like a good deal, but I prefer having someone tangable to help along the way - even though a $6,500 difference is nice. These "cash discounts" you speak of...these doctors must have specialty clinics instead of involving a major hospital? Am I correct in assuming that? Thank you again for your insight. Much appreciative.

You mentioned the hospital and surgeon's costs but make sure you find out if the anesthesiologist's bill is included in that deal. Most bill separately so you'll want to know that before you make any decisions. Also, find out the cost of fills. Welcome!

Check with all of the services, doctor, hospital or facility, anesthesiologist, and any other resource the doctor requires (nutrionist, psych exam, etc.). I have been told that some will offer discounts because they don't have to file insurance. Also, self pays sometimes get up to a 1 year fills as part of the deal.

I just got off the phone with the lady in charge of the LapBand procedures and feel Enlightened. I made a spreadsheet (because that is just what I do) and with the surgeon, hospital, band itself, anesthesia, radiology, lab, psychological, approximately 3-4 fills the 1st year (1st one free ) - I can guesstimate about $15,400. This doesn't include the year afterwards which I hope to only be fills and dr visits ($100 fill / $70 dr visits - dr. visits free with fill). So, now that I have all this information and did my research in the area and this is still the best deal I can find (plus it's a doctor I know) I feel comfortable.

YET....how the heck can I afford this? I don't have a problem with the first $5,000, but the other $10,000? Unfortunately, I am a member of the instant gratification generation. I know we are all in different financial circles of life, but any suggestions on how or what you did to raise/gain/receive/save for your procedure would be insightful.

I just got off the phone with the lady in charge of the LapBand procedures and feel Enlightened. I made a spreadsheet (because that is just what I do) and with the surgeon, hospital, band itself, anesthesia, radiology, lab, psychological, approximately 3-4 fills the 1st year (1st one free ) - I can guesstimate about $15,400. This doesn't include the year afterwards which I hope to only be fills and dr visits ($100 fill / $70 dr visits - dr. visits free with fill). So, now that I have all this information and did my research in the area and this is still the best deal I can find (plus it's a doctor I know) I feel comfortable.

YET....how the heck can I afford this? I don't have a problem with the first $5,000, but the other $10,000? Unfortunately, I am a member of the instant gratification generation. I know we are all in different financial circles of life, but any suggestions on how or what you did to raise/gain/receive/save for your procedure would be insightful.

do you have access to a flexible spending (IRS Section 125) program through work--or spouse's work? If so, you might have A LITTLE help there.

I live in the Midwest. When I researched privately paying, after my insurance was denied, I found Lap Band surgery prices from $17,000 to $24,000. I am a nurse and work for a hospital, and even they would NOT give me a price break.

I am scheduled for Lap Band surgery with Dr Kuri in Mexico on June 3. I am extrememly comfortable with my decision to go to Mexico. Dr Kuri has performed thousands of Lap Bnad procedures. The one surgeon my insurance would have approved had only done 4. Go figure.

My surgery, including travel, will be less than $10,000.

I mentioned the Mexico thing to the doctors in the area that I called and they said that they won't fill any procedures done in Mexico...yady yady risk. So, yes the cost is awesome, but the repercussions in my area (2 hour radius) is that noone would help me afterwards. Which isn't necessarily fair.

I see where you are coming from IndyBandster, I'd rather have the doc in Mexico than the one that had only done 4 surgeries!

GeezerSue - I will definately check into that!

I work for a great company and am willing to ask, but not rock the boat...they are more than generous and pay for all of my insurance (but of course my insurance doesn't cover this procedure). I am going to ask about it tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

GeezerSue - I will definately check into that!

I work for a great company and am willing to ask, but not rock the boat...they are more than generous and pay for all of my insurance (but of course my insurance doesn't cover this procedure). I am going to ask about it tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

It won't solve any HUGE problems...but if you have one it CAN work like this...

You sign up to have money withheld from your pay--tax free.

You are billed for the procedure.

You submit the bill to your Section 125 account and they reimburse you the entire amount even when it hasn't yet been withheld!!! (That varies from employer to employer. Check it out.)

You pay the provider.

If you are in a 20% tax bracket, you can end up having only $4000 withheld to provide you with $5000 in your "bank."

good luck