Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had surgeries performed in Canada?

I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada. There is a hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia that is now doing these surgeries.

My family Dr. has one other patient that has gone there and she has sent a request for the costs of the surgery to be covered by the Province.

If approved I will need to attend a number meetings / interviews to see if I am a good candidate for the surgery. The process of getting approval and being accepted into the program may take 6 - 9 months, and then a wait for a surgery date.

Since she sent in the request, I have been reading the boards. The information has been great.

I haven't noticed anyone who has had the surgery performed in Canada, and I'm just wondering if anyone is out there?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Iluvthesun. I haven't read anyone saying they had surgery in Canada; I know there is a post from Canada having it done in Baltimore (I think). I love your "area" of Canada -- have never been to PEI; however, did have the opportunity to visit Montreal, Quebec City, The Sagnay (?), all the surrounding areas, and Iles de la Madeleine. BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY --- even got pretty good at reading a menu in French! If you have any questions whatsoever, don't hesitate to ask, someone (or lots of someones) will have a response for you.

I received a letter from the "out of Province" coordinator advising Dr. Ellsmere in Halifax, Nova Scotia that they have agreed to pay for the surgery. Now I wait to be contacted.

On the Obesity Help forum people have indicated that it could be 5 - 7 years.....however the other patient that my Dr. sent waited less than 1 year. The hospital Q's & A's says there is no list, they evaluate each person to determine who to accept and when they will be scheduled.

I was admitted to the hospital in a neighboring province last week and the neurologist said I had a small stroke called a Lacunar stroke due to untreated hypertension. However the CT scan was clear, so my family Dr. says there is no proof of a stroke so she is referring me to a PEI neurologist to get an MRI which could take months.

it sounds strange and terrible to say, however I was thinking the upside of having a "small" stroke was that I might be a better candidate for VSG.....

I still have tingling on the left side of my body which the neurologist said may be permanent. That may not be a bad thing if it reminds me of the stroke everytime I go to put something in my mouth - maybe I will make better choices...

Other good news - I was down 10 pounds from when I saw my Dr. last month.......hospital food isn't that great! I did meet with the dietitian twice and I am now trying to eat according to Canada's food guide. I know it is mostly Fluid (since the puffyness is gone from my feet) - but it is still nice to see the scale go down instead of up......

Welcome,

We lost our only dr. who performed bariatric surgeries here in Saskatchewan, and I never even considered going thru the hoops of our system to get admitted elsewhere. Are you choosing the sleeve?

I chose to do self-pay and am scheduled for my sleeve in just over 2 weeks.

BTW, went to high school in Chatham NB and Bedeque PEI is the home of our ancestors, (United Empire Loyalists) so have visited there often. We were back there a few yrs ago (to the maritimes) and plan to go next summer again. My hubby served in the airforce and was stationed at Summerside. how THAT place has changed!

Hope all goes smoothly for you there and that you don't have too long a wait, do keep us posted and feel free to ask questions here as people are quite knowledgable and very supportive.

Cheers!:thumbup:

Hi Stoongal,

Yes the Dr. in Halifax only does VSG's. The referral and approval from the Prov. didn't take much - but who knows how long the wait will be.

It is such a small world. My husband's father was in the military in Summerside, then they went to BC and his last posting was - guess where.....Chatham, NB. That is actually where we met. I was working in the BCPO's office one summer while at University and staying at the campground in Loggieville (now a KOA) where he was working. So you graduated from James M. Hill? What year - if you don't mind me asking?

So where are you having your surgery done?

Nancy

It was just called Chatham High back then (1955) but my fist job was assistant Kindergarten teacher at the airbase in fall of 1956. I am the senior elder on this site - am 71 yrs of age but hoping for about 20 more yrs!