Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bubbles while eating?????

I have had my band for 9 months and have had the same amount of saline in my band since March with no problems. Until recently, I have had a strange burping, bubbling, popping sound while eating. I chew up the bite really well and swallow, then the noise starts. It continues with every bite and sometimes for 8-10 mins after each bite. I am keeping my meals down, and having no excessive PB's or other food issues. I have also hit a major plateau for the last month. Any thoughts? I am calling my doctor tomorrow as I don't feel this is urgent to warrant a weekend call, but as soon as the office opens I am calling. Anyone have the same thing? Any idea what it might be? ~Mandy

Mandy,

Sorry you are having problems. I haven't had the strange burping or bubbling so I don't have any good advice, but I am glad to hear that you are not PBing.

We were banded right around the same time and have similar stats. I have also lost 60 something pounds, I want to loose another 20-30 before I go on maintenance (start removing Fluid from the band).

I had perfect restriction since my 2nd fill but statred having problems yesterday after I had a massage. I PB'd on lunch after 2 bites and did the same thing when I tried supper. I did fine today at lunch so I hope it is behind me now.

I hope you get it figured out.

Hi barb

I just saw your post and was wondering if you might have swelled your stomach with the pb and just needed more time to recover. My doc had told me to go on liquids for 24 hours after EVERY PB. And, no i don't do that - i usually wait one meal too UNLESS it was bad then I do wait. Even if we don't feel the swelling - a pb does cause it.

Thanks 3loves, but I am not actually producing bubbles, I am just sorta making a bubbling sound. It is almost like a popping sound, hard to explain, sounds like little mini burps and only while eating. It's almost like my pouch or stomach is full of air and the food is forcing it to come up little by little. It's not unconfortable, I didn't even realise it was happening until hubby gave me the "Rock eyebrow" and started laughing at me. Now I am a bit selfconsious about it and I have breakfat plans with 17 moms from school tomorrow, it's our last day. They are all taking me to Breakfast while the kiddos are at school for the last time. We are moving out of our area and I am really popular with the mom's as I am very involved at school and in the community. And now I have to sit at breakfast and worry about making this weird noise. Think it could be the stress of moving making me gurgle? This is just too weird. I'll keep ya'll updated. ~Mandy

Mandy,

since my second fill, my stomach makes SO many strange sounds. Its really embarrasing when Im on the phone and I hear something like a zipper noise coming up and out of my mouth. strange. I can only imagine what the other person is thinking.

Im wondering what would happen if you had a little malox before leaving the house in the morning. It may coat your tummy and help with the noises... ???

just an idea.

Good luck ~ and if the other moms hear your snap, crackle and popping, just telling them that its that darn rock candy you ate before meeting them.

They know about my band, and would think I had lost my mind eating pop rocks. I have gone from one of the heaviest moms at school to one of the smallest in the 9 months they have been in school. Seems like yesterday I was posting my baby's first day of school pictures and now she is almost finished. Makes me sad but I am also relieved that the year is over. Now I can get the last minute things done before the big move. I love her teachers and so does she, I just hope her teacher next year is just as great as the current ones are. She really needs the encouragement that they have provided, and they have really worked with her. She is going into the new school, and I don't want to label her as special needs but she is and I hope they will work with her. The up side is that in the new district it is half day Kindergarten not full day like it is where we are now. That was a big concern for me, as I don't think she is ready for that, and she takes meds mid day and that's a big adjustment, all day at school and having to remember to take meds at lunch each day too. We have requested a special needs laison,we'll see if that request is granted. I am rambling now, must go to bed~Mandy

LOL Paula.. :) YOU SO FUNNY..:)

Mandy,

Gurgling is pretty common with the band. I'm not sure why it would suddenly begin, however, if you hadn't recently had an adjustment. To me, it's always been a sign of definite restriction. Sometimes I notice it more in the morning, when I may be more dehydrated, rather than later in the day. I don't really think you have anything to worry about, but I do think it's good that you ask your doc about any changes that occur suddenly.

Thanks guys, I'm relieved to know I'm not the only party trick in the group. It's just weird that my throat is making this noise, it's not really my stomach. I was actually thinking about taking a dose of gas-x before each meal to see if that would help. I have had stomach noise since banding, usually at night laying in bed, when it is totally silent and then BAM, noise. It has been so loud that is actually scared our cats. But this is only during meals and is more throaty, like burping while I am chewing. It's loud, DH asked if my jaw was popping again (history of TMJ) but it's deffinatly air in my throat. weird???? Maybe more common than I thought. I don't feel the urge to burp, and I don't feel bloated or gassy at all. I'm a bit stumped, it doesn't really feel like anything, just sounds strange. I know I'm not too tight, I can eat steak with no problems and 99% of everything I eat stays down and I do feel hungry about every 5 hours or so. I don't think I need an unfill but maybe with the stress and everything else going on the doc will say otherwise. I didn't notice it with my shake this afternoon, but hubby was at work so I didn't have anyone else here to listen. I will let you all know what the doc says. ~Mandy