Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just read some scary stuff, need perspective

I particularly enjoyed the irony of calling a group WLS_uncensored and then censoring anything you disagreed with!! I just hope she doesn't upset too many vulnerable people.

Wow, she sounds like a real case. Perhaps we should "discreetly" direct her members over her to get the real facts.

OMG.... what a negitive site!!

I know when I was researching WLS I ran across a few negitives, nothing as severe as this. But we're all gonna hear "horror" stories with EVERYTHING.

When I had my gall bladder out, I was back to work in 2 weeks ( could have gone back in 1 week ) and my friend had hers removed it took her 4 weeks to feel better. So everyone is differrent... and horror stories about ALL surgery, Doctors, etc.

But I am glad I didn't see this before my surgery!:wink0:

And this is my turn down email....

I have reviewed your request and do want to thank you for applying to join our WLS_uncensored community.

However, because we are an informed consent information group and because we also support long term patients (over 10 years post op), most of whom have serious, disabling and life threatening problems (as well as significant weight re-gain), I feel that some of the information which is posted in our community might be distressing and upsetting to you at the point you are in your WLS journey. Thus I feel that our community is likely not appropriate for you at this time.

However, I would like to suggest three communities which would probably be a good fit and would give you most of the information you are seeking:

First: http://www.renewedreflections.com

This is an online BBS community and has a doctor (MD) available for questions.

Second: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ossg

This is a community like ours on yahoo, moderated and positive in attitude but presents some, at least, early on problems and issues with gastric bypass

Third: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/graduate-ossg

This is a community where you must be over a year post op to post and there are some longer term patients who have some serious health issues - they do discuss some of this on the group but again, most messages are of a supportive and positive nature for newer ops.

I hope you enjoy the above communities and again I thank you for for applying to ours. If you feel my decision is inappropriate, please feel welcome to "reply" to this message and we can discuss it.

best,

Sue, group owner

So... you've been censored from the WLS Uncensored list!! :lol0:

Plus all those places she sent you to are for people with bypass. Which you didn't have.

I love my VSG and would not trade it for the world. I am 6.5 year post op and have kept off over 200lbs. However, I also have developed leaky gut syndrome. With each year I am developing more food intolerances. We thought the amount of Water I was retaining was due to my heart. However its not as its not in my limbs but in my torso. If I eat something like bread for instance. My torso swells, stomach pain and I can count on being at least 3lbs heavier the next day due to water retention.

Since VSG I am no longer able to eat the following foods. Peanut Butter. Gluten of any sort including soy. I cannot eat any of the foods from the nightshade family. I cannot eat watermelon. I cannot eat almonds. And because of insulin resistance I cannot eat Beans , rice, any ground corn products or I fall asleep within minutes.

I have to eat extremely clean. Its hard in our fast paced world to have to pack all my meals with me and or go out to eat and have to custom order each meal.....but the trade off is that I am very healthy and not dragging another human being along with me on my journey through life.

WE all choose our paths....I am still 100% happy with my VSG.

Edited by Noelie B

Oh, it's that looney tunes, Sue Widemark! Her websites are horrible - full of misinformation and lies -- and she is completely not interested in hearing anything good about WLS.

She calls herself a medical researcher but she's a software engineer who reads stuff on the web about medical issues and blogs about it. Medical researcher, my ass!

She's a Morbidly Obese woman who belongs to the Size Acceptance movement and believes WLS is evil... but Weight Watchers is okay. (Hypocritical, if you ask me....)

My response is: "I wonder why you want to run a list about WLS when you've never had it and don't believe in it."

Agreed, she's just a blogger on a crusade against WLS, protestants, and abortion. She thinks pulling information from the internet makes her a "medical researcher." Lol.

A doctor (Terry L. Simpson) who signed up for Sue's yahoo group list found and reported the following: "Do these folks all have something in common? I asked. They did—most of them did not comply with their surgeon’s instructions. Most didn’t take Vitamins or learn to eat well, or they didn’t follow up with appropriate medical care."

Edited by vsg2803