Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on Day 5 of my 2 week pre-op diet and I woke up this morning with a whopper of a headache. :ohmy: Yesterday I had a mild headache, but bearable. I know it is probably white carb withdrawal (my pre-op diet isn't low carb - my shakes and bars have 10 carbs each). I have been "dieting" since mid-June following mostly the pre-op diet, with a half sandwich thrown in the mix. The only thing different now versus the last few weeks is the white carbs are nixed.

Can anyone tell me how long your pre-op headaches lasted if you had them? I have to stop the Excedrin on Tuesday, a week before surgery. Right now, Excedrin is my lifeline.

Ugh, I am sorry you are having such a bad time with the headaches. I had a killer headache for the first three days, but after that, everything leveled out for me.

Oh, yes! Had them too. But after day 5 or so, they passed. Alleve and warm compresses helped me a lot as they were right behind my eyes. Now I am dealing with that wonderful breath that even makes my dogs look and me and wonder. You'll be OK...we got your back!

That would be the lovely and infamous ketosis breath. When people eat less carbohydrates, their bodies turn to fat for energy. It is called ketones. There is one type of ketones that cannot be used for this, so it is excreted as waste and can cause our urine and breath to smell bad.

Linda, how are the headaches? Any improvement?

That would be the lovely and infamous ketosis breath. When people eat less carbohydrates, their bodies turn to fat for energy. It is called ketones. There is one type of ketones that cannot be used for this, so it is excreted as waste and can cause our urine and breath to smell bad.

Linda, how are the headaches? Any improvement?

Susan, thanks for asking. Yesterday I would say had to be my worst day so far. I got up, had a slight headache, went the the gym and worked out. Came home, showered, put my PJ's back on, and remained in bed off and on all day. I was a SLUG. :sleep0: Absolutely no energy or will to day anything. I am up today, still slight headache, but more determined to get things done today.

Wow, I am so sorry you are still having issues. I can understand having a decrease in energy, but I really thought you would be past the headaches by now. Have you talked to your doctor about them and see what they suggest?

Actually feeling better today. I'm am busy with work - busy is better than bored. I want to eat when I am bored. Although I woke up with a slight headache, it seems the headache went away on its own this morning.

7 more days after today. I can do this!

Labrys here...

My daughter will be "sleeved" on Aug 4 with Dr. Aceves. Susan.. oops 1Linda who is doing your surgery?

Labrys here...

My daughter will be "sleeved" on Aug 4 with Dr. Aceves. Susan.. oops 1Linda who is doing your surgery?

Dr. Nicholson in Dallas.

Linda

Hi Linda-

Headaches, irritability, and depression are common on a VERY low carb diet. It is not "carb withdrawal." Your body needs carbs in order for tryptophan to cross the blood-brain barrier. The end result is serotonin. The problem with carbs is that most people eat way too many and eat carbs with no nutritional advantages such as Fiber, Vitamins and minerals.

VERY low carb diets do result in headaches, irritability, and depression. The key is balance. Not too many, not too few.

Since you are on a pre-surgery diet, I suggest you call your doctor's dietician and talk to him/her about your headaches. Perhaps they can tweek your pre-op diet so you feel a little better.

My very best

Thanks for the responses. What is weird about the whole thing is that I am not on a "low carb" pre-op diet. I get 5 shakes/bars per day and one meal of 5oz lean Protein + 2 cups low carb veggies. Each shake/bar has anywhere from 10-18 grams of carbs. Doing the math, I am eating between 60-90 grams of carbs per day. Definitely less than I ate prior to mid-June. But I have been dieting and restricting carbs to less than 100-120g since then with no ill effects. I have been on low carb diets before (Adkins - 2003) and don't remember the headaches lasting quite this long. Maybe there is something in these shakes/bars that don't agree with me and are causing the headaches. I will give my dietician a call.

I do feel better today. Just a little "foggy" in the head. Definitely more functional than yesterday although any functionality would be an improvement over yesterday. Bob is right, there are definitely too many food commercials on TV.:confused:

Do the bars/shakes have aspartame in them? Perhaps you're having a reaction to the aspartame. Also, have you given up all caffeine? When I gave up caffeine I had horrible headaches for about 5 days and cursed my doctor, which he said I would, until they finally subsided. Also, could be that somethign is out of whack with your body - maybe go see a chiropractor or D.O.? Just some thoughts.

Vegas -

Probably not caffeine - I'm still drinking the same 1/2 cup coffee that I have been drinking for months. Up until today, I have been knocking down the Excedrin which also contains caffeine. You may have something with the Aspartame though. The shakes do contain Aspartame and I have been drinking more Crystal Light then normal. Dallas also had a front move in (it's been raining all day) so it possible it could be a change in the weather (my knee hurts more than usual - not bad - just aches). Or...a combination of ALL the above. However, I do feel much better today and have made it without the Excedrin.

Thanks for all the input and advise - makes it easier managing thru it all.