Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG scheduled for July 29th!!

Hello All,

My name is Angie and I'm 30 yrs old. I have decided to have the VSG suregery after thinking about it for about 2 yrs. I have a family to think of and have now decided that this is best for all of our futures.

I've been married for 8yrs and we have a beautiful 3 yr old angel named Gracie. The last 3 yrs have been the best and worst time of my life. After having Gracie via ER C-section I was like any other normal 1st time mom...just enjoying every moment of my precious gift. The healing of my C-section was a diiferent story. At 13 weeks post delivery my insuscion reopened and I got an effection. My husband had to clean it and medicate it every night. What I experienced was humilation. I knew that the reason my incision had broken open was because of the fat that hung over the cut. It was horrible, and it was obvious to me that everyone around me knew it to be true as well. I went back to work for about 3 weeks and then decided to quit and be a stay home mom full time. This put us financaly in a bind...a big bind.

I'm in real estate and I had worked for a builder and made great money, but after Grace was born I just felt compelled to be with her no matter what it cost us. I lined up a job before quitting, it was a job that my mother (also in real estate) and I would do as a team, so I would work one day and she the next. That lasted about 2 weeks and we realized it wasn't going to pay the bills. So we opted to work as a team for another company as independent agents. This allowed me to be with Gracie...that's what I truly wanted. But, my mom and I didn't work well together for many reasons. Meanwhile, the bills have piled on and on. Just before Gracie's 1st Christmas I had an ER appenditomy. WE had no insurance. My husband is self employed and I hadn't opted to pay cobra $965 per month. Grace was the only one covered. Anyway, after receiving $30+k in medical bills for one surgery it was clear that we couldn't keep on top of things. We ended up filing for bankruptcy and giving up our home too.

The next few years got even harder, my mom made some bad investments and the business that she owned and my husband now ran went out of business. With all this stress I piled on the pounds. I was heavy before having my baby, but I put on 40 LBS in 1 year. The stress has added on so much to my life. My mother now lives with us, well it's her home, we had been renting it. This has been a challenege too, but we are getting though it one step of the way. Meanwhile, my guilt had piled the pounds on me. The guilt of leaving my good paying job to be with Gracie, the guilt of failing as a business partner with my mom, the guilt of being home enjoying my daughter, while my husband worked 60+ hours a week, the guilt that my mother's business was going under, the company that my husband spent 2 yrs of his life trying to make it work, the guilt that my mom was now living in her own home, in the basement at 61 yrs old and the guilt that she is now financially bankrupted as well. The guilt that all my selfish choices have gotten me to this point and this weight.

I have had to work through all of this GUILT. All I want to do is move on with my life and family and LIVE it. So, I have saved enough money with my real estate transactions to have this suregery. My husband and mom have been very supportive. Eventhough, just recently I've wanted to forget about the surgery and spend the money towards bills and for saving for a new home. My family has encouraged me to do this. To better myself, to better my confidence, and so forth. I have gone into a deep deep depression for the last few yrs and I have worked hard for the last 6 months to get through it with conseling and saving for the surgery.

So, I'm greatful to be having the suregery and hope for a better me. I don't think weight loss suregery is the answer to all my problems, but i know that it could help me see a better future for myself and my family.

My surgery is scheduled for July 29th with Dr. Pompa. I'm very excited, but nervious as well. I haven't been away from my baby girl so that's hard. She will be with her daddy and his mom. And I'm lucky to have my mom and brother both coming with me for support. I hope this helps me become a better me and help me get myself back. Although I''ve been overweight for several yrs I always had a great personality and I had a high self esteem, I was fun to be around, and vibrant. But, I have lost myself and find myself just wanted to hide behind my daughter at all times.

I'm ready for a change!!

Thanks for reading my story!!

Angie :thumbup:

Welcome ACES and congrats on deciding on the sleeve -- you'll be on the losing side before you know it and hopefully be able to put the bad memories behind and remember only the happy. I love the name Gracie! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. someone always has an answer.

Angie, first off *hugs*! Second, welcome to our forums, we are glad to have you join us. You have been through so much. It is sad that woman are in a position now that most of us can no longer stay home and care for our children. I truly, truly would have loved to have been able to and admire you for making the decision to do that. While financially, it may have caused difficulties, I am sure Gracie will grow up to be a wonderful, well-balanced adult as a result of the sacrifices you and your husband have made for her.

Congratulations on your decision to have this surgery. Just losing the weight will make such a huge difference on your outlook. You will feel better, have more energy and you will find that it effects everything in your life, for the better. Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing. We are one big family here and all support each other and help each other through this journey in any way we can.

I can't really add anything to what has already been said but well done on getting through everything you have been through and making what isn't always an easy decision. I am certain it will be the right one and not only will you feel great you will look great and that will boost your confidence further.

Good luck xxx