Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm on the other side too

Hi, I'm home too now. Had my op on Monday - 2 ops in one actually. I was opened up right down my front, had all my abdominal muscles stitched and re-stitched and had my revision to sleeve. All went well with no problems apart from severe side effects from anaesthesia and morphine and being very sore.

I am up and about now but wanting to rest a lot as very uncomfortable most of the time. Every position is ok for a while and then I have to move. Am now on blended food and managing that very well despite only needing very small portions. I get some discomfort after eating but that is only to be expected after having more than half my stomach removed and the remaining stapled up! The band guided me well as far recognising 'the signs' and I am only optimistic now for some more substantial weight loss. Size zero here I come!!!

Well done to everyone who has just had surgery like me. It's not the easy option everyone thinks it is but, to those considering it or about to embark on it, with the right research, support and of course, surgeon, it is a step- up to coming a new, confident and above-all healthy you. And the advice and support I have received from the lovely people on this site is second to none and that is really what you need - to hear from people who have experience and have been through it all.

On the losing side now. Just looking forward to getting more mobile now and back to normal. Won't be long but feels interminable at the moment!!

Good luck all!!!

Lots of love Helenxxx

Hi Helen, glad to hear everything went well with you. I agree, it is great to be able to chat with others who are experiencing and understand everything we are going through. You will feel great in no time!

Helen, so glad you're home and recovering -- from all that you had done, it sounds as though you're doing quite well. Looking forward to hearing more from you as your recovery progresses and your weight comes off. Hang in there, every day will get easier I'm sure.

Helen, so good to hear from you. I had my surgery the day after you, I think! Hope the rest of your recovery is quick and pain-free!

Thanks everyone! All is fine at the moment. It's a bit difficult to tell where the pain is coming from with having the two ops at the same time but I have experienced the cramping and now it's mainly if I eat too much. My feelings of fullness aren't kicking in very quickly now and I feel like I can keep going so will have to be very careful. I am also craving food and want chocolate and all sorts. Think that's more in my head tahn anything else.

My diet guidelines are slightly different to yours over there in that I was kept on Water for 3 days and then had to have some blended food before I could go home. I am now on a diet of 5 small meals a day with a main meal consisting of some blended meat, potato and veg. It has to be of a very runny soup-like consistency. It's going down fine except that last night I overdid it and ended up feeling really rough with stomach pains and general discomfort for a while. It does worry me that I could end up bursting my staples by stuffing myself but am guessing from what I have read of others' experiences on here that I would be sick before that happened.

Keep in touch Ash. You and I are at the same stage of our journey so it will be interesting to see how we get on and swap tips and experiences.

Thanks all for your support and encouragement!

Helen xxx

It's crazy how all the doctors have a different post op diet. I wonder why that is.

Glad to hear you're doing well Helen. Try to measure if you need to so you don't get too full. I have been too full before and it's been extremely painful.

Yes, I am finding that if I put too much on my plate I will keep going so I am now limiting the amount I dish up. It's strange because when I had my band I would automatically stop at the first sign of being full (maybe that was more down to a fear of things getting stuck and me vomiting) but now I am craving for things and if I like them really want to finish them off. Does this change one you go onto normal solid foods? I am avoiding being sick at all costs at the moment as I have this abdominal repair to consider as well.

I can't tell when I am full. I have to stop before I am full by recognizing the size portion I know will work. I feel really full like 15-20 min after I am done eating. The times I ate until I felt full, I was really in trouble. I was way too full, and felt like my stomach was going to explode. It was painful.

Now I dish up tiny portions, and tell myself I can eat more later if I want. I never want to though. I stay full for a very long time.