Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Headache & Migrain post op

I have suffered headache and migrain all my life and am a little worried about the posibility of exposing myself to crippling pain if i cant get the fluids in. I drink 3-4 Litres a day to try and keep hydrated. I'm a little confused about Fluid intake. Is it only in the first few weeks that you can only take small sips, but after that you can drink much more??? is everyone different in here with the amounts they can drink.

Has anyone else had any of these kinds of problems pre and post op?

food Water and sleep always catch me out.

thanks in adv.

The ability to drink depends on the amount of swelling you have. Some people can drink with no problem. I had a lot of swelling and had some difficulty but was doing better by 6-7 days post-op. The best way to know if you're drinking enough is to look at the color of your unine... you want to see a light amber color. If it's dark, drink more.

The first day or so you only take small sips but then gradually take more as long as you're able to. Since the suture line is healing, chugging or rapidly drinking is discouraged for a few weeks. Keep sipping Water all day and you'll do fine.

I am 3 weeks post-op and can still only take small sips; however, I take them all day long and have been able to stay hydrated and have not had any headaches (to which I am very susceptible). I think if you are able to drink all day long, you will be fine.

I had trouble sleeping the first week after the surgery; however, thank God, that went away and now I sleep really sound.

For the first four to five weeks, I was only able to take very small sips. As a result, I ended up getting dehydrated and found myself in the hospital on IV fluids several times. It was mostly my fault for not pushing myself more. So, please remember how important it is to take those small sips as often as possible.

Now, at three months out I am able to take bigger sips. However, I don't think I will ever be able to just guzzle down Water like I used to be. I sometimes miss that, especially when I am working out.

I had the headache from hell after my surgery and that pain was worse than my op pain. Talk to anaesthetist about it. Opiate based painkillers such as morphine and Tramadol may also be responsible and there are many other painkillers that can be administered in their place. Just make sure you emphasise this strongly. I have had surgery where I experienced no side effects at all in the past and was jumping on and off the toilet 2 hours post surgery so I do think it is important that you speak to the docs about it and hopefully they will tailor your meds to your needs.

Try not to worry though because, as I said, I have had surgery and experienced no side effects whatsoever, so it's not pre-determined that you will have an adverse reaction.

Good luck xxx

Be sure to get off of all caffeine before surgery, too, otherwise you'll have withdrawal headaches and those suck as well.

Be sure to get off of all caffeine before surgery, too, otherwise you'll have withdrawal headaches and those suck as well.

i read that about getting off caffeine here a few weeks ago...i think it was even you talking about it...lol took the good advice (where ever it came from) and kicked the pepsi max. i had headaches for 2 weeks straight! i knew it was the right thing to do i have been trying to kick many bad habbits, and also indulging in a few to **say goodbye** to them also. Hell....glad i dont drink coffee!!!!

I had the headache from hell after my surgery and that pain was worse than my op pain. Talk to anaesthetist about it. Opiate based painkillers such as morphine and Tramadol may also be responsible and there are many other painkillers that can be administered in their place. Just make sure you emphasise this strongly. I have had surgery where I experienced no side effects at all in the past and was jumping on and off the toilet 2 hours post surgery so I do think it is important that you speak to the docs about it and hopefully they will tailor your meds to your needs.

Try not to worry though because, as I said, I have had surgery and experienced no side effects whatsoever, so it's not pre-determined that you will have an adverse reaction.

Good luck xxx

thanks for the heads up. i will be sure to mention it. i have tryed to keep my hydration under control over the last few weeks since giving up the pepsi max. even today i was struck down and i have been drinking well. guess im just a bit scared of having headaches and not being able to guzzle Water down till it eases. i do carry Water with me everywhere i go now (new habbit) and am now thinking it may actually be neck issues!!! might look into that before surgury!!!