Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Answers about Sleeve Please!

First of all, I am so sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum,

Second, I cant seem to find an answer to all of my questions about life with the sleeve....

I am going to post a whole bunch of questions and you dont have to answer all of them, only the one you know the answer to (just to make it easier)

I Live in theTexas Border and I am currently going to

DR. MICHAEL C. MORRIS, M.D. (Lone Star Surgical)

General, Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon

He is a fairly young Dr. But He's the Trauma Director, Sub-director of ICU and Medical Director of Bariatrics at the Laredo Medical Center. (One of the Only 2 hospitals we have here)

So I thought it was one of my best choices.....

(Any Comments on Dr Morris?? Has anybody here been sleeved by him??)

Anyhow.... as for my questions...

I am Hispanic, so our foods are TRADITIONAL, We dont eat them often but when we do I would love to at least have a taste...

1-Compared to the lapband how difficult is it to eat "whatever"? Am I going to feel like I am going to die if I have a bite of something not considered Diet food? ?

2-Does the sleeve control your life as much as the band?

3-Has anybody gotten pregnant with the sleeve? If so how did it affect you?

4-Can you vomit with out any consequences? Unlike the band that puking is a BIG NO NO! (I mean 10 months after my surgery, if I get the Flu, will I be ok to let it take its course with all the puking?)

5-Do you get MALNURISHED with the sleeve?

6-Once you have reached your weight goal....can you STOP loosing weight? ( I dont want to be 5'7 and be 98lbs you know?)

7-Will I have to visit my DR every 2-3 weeks like with the band for the rest of my life??

8-WORST PART ABOUT HAVING THE SLEEVE??

9-CAN YOU DO SIT UPS AND CRUNCHES WITH THE SLEEVE?

(dumb question I know)

10-Is weight loss really alot faster with the sleeve than with the band??

11-Worst part about the sleeve Diet?

Ok I think that is all for now:blushing:

Knowing me I will probably have more later.....

Thank You :001_smile:!!!

1-Compared to the lapband how difficult is it to eat "whatever"? Am I going to feel like I am going to die if I have a bite of something not considered Diet food??

There is no comparison. You can eat anything with the sleeve once you are off the post op diet. There are no foods that

are off limits and "don't work" like there are with the band. You just can't eat very much.

Not at all. Most of the time I forget all about it. Beef and pork fill me up very fast.

It's not that I can't eat that, but I can't eat very much of it.

can't answer this one

4-Can you vomit with out any consequences? Unlike the band that puking is a BIG NO NO! (I mean 10 months after my surgery, if I get the Flu, will I be ok to let it take its course with all the puking?)

I have vomited because I misjudged how much to eat and ate too much. But it's not

like the band where you have to worry about a slip or anything.

No. Once you hit goal, you can add more healthy foods back in, like more fruits and veggies and complex carbs.

6-Once you have reached your weight goal....can you STOP loosing weight? ( I dont want to be 5'7 and be 98lbs you know?)

Of course. See above

7-Will I have to visit my DR every 2-3 weeks like with the band for the rest of my life??

No. I am supposed to have lab work done

to make sure everything is fine, but I haven't been to the dr. once since getting sleeved.

Getting full really fast. You fill up your plate and there is really not much on it. It's not a problem, but sometimes you really want to eat more, but you just can't.

(dumb question I know)

Of course.

It's faster because you don't have to wait to get fills to get restriction. You have it from day one.

What diet? I eat regular foods, just not very much

1-Compared to the lapband how difficult is it to eat "whatever"? Am I going to feel like I am going to die if I have a bite of something not considered Diet food??

There is no comparison. You can eat anything with the sleeve once you are off the post op diet. There are no foods that

are off limits and "don't work" like there are with the band. You just can't eat very much.

Not at all. Most of the time I forget all about it. Beef and pork fill me up very fast.

It's not that I can't eat that, but I can't eat very much of it.

can't answer this one

I have vomited because I misjudged how much to eat and ate too much. But it's not

like the band where you have to worry about a slip or anything.

No. Once you hit goal, you can add more healthy foods back in, like more fruits and veggies and complex carbs.

Of course. See above

No. I am supposed to have lab work done

to make sure everything is fine, but I haven't been to the dr. once since getting sleeved.

Getting full really fast. You fill up your plate and there is really not much on it. It's not a problem, but sometimes you really want to eat more, but you just can't.

(dumb question I know)

Of course.

It's faster because you don't have to wait to get fills to get restriction. You have it from day one.

What diet? I eat regular foods, just not very much

:001_smile: THANKS FOR UR ANSWERS!

Yes, thanks! That's really helped me as well as I am having revision surgery from band to sleeve on Monday 13th and had all kinds of second thoughts going round my head!

First of all, I am so sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum,

Second, I cant seem to find an answer to all of my questions about life with the sleeve....

I am going to post a whole bunch of questions and you dont have to answer all of them, only the one you know the answer to (just to make it easier)

I Live in theTexas Border and I am currently going to

DR. MICHAEL C. MORRIS, M.D. (Lone Star Surgical)

General, Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon

He is a fairly young Dr. But He's the Trauma Director, Sub-director of ICU and Medical Director of Bariatrics at the Laredo Medical Center. (One of the Only 2 hospitals we have here)

So I thought it was one of my best choices.....

(Any Comments on Dr Morris?? Has anybody here been sleeved by him??)

Anyhow.... as for my questions...

I am Hispanic, so our foods are TRADITIONAL, We dont eat them often but when we do I would love to at least have a taste...

1-Compared to the lapband how difficult is it to eat "whatever"?

Just like the band, "slider" foods go down easily so ice-cream, chocolate, etc. can easily be eaten. Unlike the band, you don't have to worry about being too tight or too loose. The sleeve is like a straw that lead down to your stomach. Because that straw is small, you fill up faster.

Am I going to feel like I am going to die if I have a bite of something not considered Diet food??

You eat healthy food with the VSG. Since "problem" foods are only an issue with the band, you don't have to restrict your diet. You do need to get in adequate Protein and nutrients and limit calories.

The sleeve gave me back my life. I suffered horribly with the band with awful reflux and could rarely sleep in bed.

I haven't but two people I know have and they both had uneventful pregnancies.

I am three months out never vomited but I did ask the same question of my surgeon and he said "you get sick the same as without the surgery" so there's no need to worry if you get the flu.

No, like the band, the VSG is a restrictive procedure. RNY and DS add the malabsorptive part.

Yes. The purpose of the VSG is to allow you to lose weight and learn to eat less so that you maintain your ideal weight.

Nope! That's the beauty of the VSG. You get the surgery, do the post-op diet, and it works right away. An upper endoscopy is suggested at 3 months and that's it.

The regrets that I didn't get the band to VSG sooner and that I didn't know the sleeve existed when I had the band surgery.

(dumb question I know)

Unfortunately, yes. LOL.

With the band, weight loss is greatest when the restriction level is optimal. Unfortunately, that can take a long time to achieve and some people never do. With the sleeve, you have instant restriction. Therefore, weight loss is faster.

Some people regret that they can't eat the same portions they used to when they go out to dinner, etc. I have to skip appetizers, bread, and dessert to enjoy the main course and often bring some home. For me, that's great. While you have to watch the calories you take in, the sleeve diet is whatever you want it to me in terms of food choices.

Ok I think that is all for now:blushing:

Knowing me I will probably have more later.....

Thank You :001_tt2:!!!

I hope that helps!

I was going to reply, but I think Daisy and Elisabeth did a wonderful job answering. My only regret with the sleeve is that I didn't know about it before I got the band. It has been a wonderful experience all the way around for me.

All I can say is thank God I found this forum BEFORE I went through with the lapband.

I second that!:001_tt2:

All I can say is thank God I found this forum BEFORE I went through with the lapband.

OMG!!! AMEN TO THAT!!!

I literaly had my mind set on the Band...... I thought hey NO COMPLICATIONS witht he band, and if so.....it can EASILY Be REMOVED! YEAH RIGHT!!!!

OMG I cant believe I was about to make a HUGE MISTAKE!!!

Thank you all for your Info!!

If you all can think of anything else I should know, that maybe You didnt know before, let me know Please!

It doesnt matter if it is gross, dumb, or even dangerous!

The thing is this... Besides My Husband ,My Mother, and You All, I have no support for WLS. And even at that My husband and my mother just support me in a "what ever I want to do" kinda way.

They dont even know the slightest CLUE onto what goes on in WLS.

I am kinda frustrated with all the things EVERYBODY around me is telling me...especialy my sisters and cousins....

I know I am overweight, I know I need the CHANGE in my life, and I know this OBESE person is not Who I really AM!:sad0:

They say I am just lazy, I should just pay a trainer and get thin.

UHM HELLO!!!!:cursing: Yeah I have tried it and it worked BUT 1 year later the weight was back Plus MORE!!!

I am 27, 248lbs, I have A husband, a 5 yr old Little Girl, 2 Labradors, 1 siamese cat, and now 11 puppies!

I NEED TO GET HEALTHY SOON!

My Family Tire me out especialy with all this EXTRA FAT I am carring around!:mad0:

Anyhow.....

Once again thank you sooooooo Much for your info!!!:thumbup1:

Thank you all for your Info!! If you all can think of anything else I should know, that maybe You didnt know before, let me know Please!

It doesnt matter if it is gross, dumb, or even dangerous!

I can't really think of anything gross, dumb or even dangerous ...maybe the grossest (?) thing is the peacock poop after the blue dye ink test? That hit me about 2 days after I was home ... but it lasts just a few days and then it's done ... and actually it's not even gross -- just a surprise color you're not used to seeing! :cursing:

The thing is this... Besides My Husband ,My Mother, and You All, I have no support for WLS. And even at that My husband and my mother just support me in a "what ever I want to do" kinda way.

They dont even know the slightest CLUE onto what goes on in WLS.

My fiance and my best friend were the only ones who knew about my WLS and everyone this site, of course. My fiance was very supportive. My best friend, who is wasting away (down to 84 lbs) due to all the stress in her life, totally understood as her sister has a terrible weight problem. I have only told one other person since the surgery and she was very supportive as well. I am sorry your family isn't more supportive. You HAVE all of us.

I am kinda frustrated with all the things EVERYBODY around me is telling me...especialy my sisters and cousins....

I know I am overweight, I know I need the CHANGE in my life, and I know this OBESE person is not Who I really AM!:sad0:

They say I am just lazy, I should just pay a trainer and get thin.

UHM HELLO!!!!:mad0: Yeah I have tried it and it worked BUT 1 year later the weight was back Plus MORE!!!

Those who don't have a weight problem will never understand how difficult it is for those of us who do. Sure, you can go on a diet, sure you can lose weight, sure you can hire a trainer ... and as soon as you stop it all, it comes back on and more. Ignore those who don't understand and do what you know is right for you!

I am 27, 248lbs, I have A husband, a 5 yr old Little Girl, 2 Labradors, 1 siamese cat, and now 11 puppies!

I NEED TO GET HEALTHY SOON!

My Family Tire me out especialy with all this EXTRA FAT I am carring around!:sad0:

Anyhow.....

Once again thank you sooooooo Much for your info!!!:thumbup1:

WOW 11 puppies ... dang ... guessing they are labradors? Love those dogs, my brother and SIL used to breed them. I can imagine you are worn out. Hang in there and soon you will take back control of your life and have more energy than you know what to do with!

WOW 11 puppies ... dang ... guessing they are labradors? Love those dogs, my brother and SIL used to breed them. I can imagine you are worn out. Hang in there and soon you will take back control of your life and have more energy than you know what to do with!

You are so sweet! Thanks for taking the time post.....

I take it from what you say, that your sisters and cousins have never had to battle a weight problem? It is easy for people to say that, but until they have truly been in our shoes, they just don't know. I am sure that every single one of us on these forums have been success at not just one, but numerous diets. Unfortunately, something always seems to happen and eventually we seem to fall back into our hold habits and usually end up gaining everything back, plus more. It is one of the most difficult battles there is to fight. I am so thankful for the various weight loss surgeries available to us now. I am confident they are saving many lives.

Now, about those puppies, we need to see pictures!

I take it from what you say, that your sisters and cousins have never had to battle a weight problem? It is easy for people to say that, but until they have truly been in our shoes, they just don't know. I am sure that every single one of us on these forums have been success at not just one, but numerous diets. Unfortunately, something always seems to happen and eventually we seem to fall back into our hold habits and usually end up gaining everything back, plus more. It is one of the most difficult battles there is to fight. I am so thankful for the various weight loss surgeries available to us now. I am confident they are saving many lives.

Now, about those puppies, we need to see pictures!

Here are 2 of my babies! lol didnt have to ask me twice!:001_wub:Yellow Girl and chocolate boy! I luv'em!!

post-53047-13813667667014_thumb.jpg

post-23216-13813667667912_thumb.jpg

post-345-13813655888654_thumb.jpg

post-345-13813655888949_thumb.jpg

Here are 2 of my babies! lol didnt have to ask me twice!:001_wub:Yellow Girl and chocolate boy! I luv'em!!

Ohhhhhh ... how cute ... I want one ... I love Labs .... how are you ever going to part with them? I'd want to keep them all. Thanks for sharing.

Oh my goodness, they are absolutely beautiful! I have a chocolate and golden myself. I agree with VegasAngel, how will you be able to give any of them up! They are such sweeties.