Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Namesake of Marilyn Monroe -rather be her lookalike

I was looking into lapband in Mexico by Dr Rodriquez when Renee from Dr Aceves called me to talk about the sleeve. After researching it and reading this forum, I am now convinced that this is the surgery for me. I refused the gastric bypass twice with United Healthcare and Cigna over the last 10 yrs. Glad I did, but now am with BCBS and they don't cover any WLS. So am selfpay and will have to find fianancing-have already been turned down by one company. I have cut expenses by moving in with friends and taking a second job. Am almost 50 now and BMI of 54 with diabetes, asthma, hypertension and sleep apnea. My ?s are: After finding financing, how long will it take to get on Dr Aceves' schedule? Is the passport card enough or do I need the passport book?, Do I need to have a person accompany me for surgery trip or is going alone safe and will I be able to handle luggage, etc after surgery by myself? Do AT&T cellphones and internet work in Mexico? Is there anything to do in Mexicalli for a vacation or should I just plan for sugery? I do not know any Spanish and have a hearing loss-will I be able to get by okay with just pointing to words on the Spanish-English phrase sheet that I saw on this forum somewhere? Any ideas of how to find financing when credit is not good? I am sure that I will have more questions later. I am Clinical Director of a 74 bed adolescent residential therapy center. Love my job and also enjoy travelling, dogs, cats, motorcycling, hot air ballooning, reading, writing, Facebook and going to movies and plays. Thanks for giving such good information on this site so that I was able to make an informed decision. Norma:thumbup1:

I was looking into lapband in Mexico by Dr Rodriquez when Renee from Dr Aceves called me to talk about the sleeve. After researching it and reading this forum, I am now convinced that this is the surgery for me. I refused the gastric bypass twice with United Healthcare and Cigna over the last 10 yrs. Glad I did, but now am with BCBS and they don't cover any WLS. So am selfpay and will have to find fianancing-have already been turned down by one company. I have cut expenses by moving in with friends and taking a second job. Am almost 50 now and BMI of 54 with diabetes, asthma, hypertension and sleep apnea. My ?s are: After finding financing, how long will it take to get on Dr Aceves' schedule?

From the time I contacted Nina to the time of surgery was 6 weeks -- I was on the schedule within 1 week of telling her I wanted surgery. I probably could have gone sooner; however Ruthi was going alone, so I decided to wait and go the same as her so she didn't have to do it alone.

Is the passport card enough or do I need the passport book?

I've been told the passport card is enough to get out of Mexico. You don't need anything to get into Mexico, just out after your surgery.

Do I need to have a person accompany me for surgery trip or is going alone safe and will I be able to handle luggage, etc after surgery by myself?

I believe you would be safe in going alone, several ladies on this site have. Ernesto handles all your luggage for you from the time he picks you up at the airport until he drops you off at the resort. From there, the bellhops take over. They will help you with your luggage the next morning if need be and then Ernesto takes over again, and takes your luggage in to the hospital for you and when you're ready to leave, handles it all again.

Does AT&T cellphones and internet work in Mexico?

Don't have AT&T so don't know. Hotel and hospital both have free wi-fi -- it's iffy at the hospital but it did work most of the time - although it was slow.

Is there anything to do in Mexicalli for a vacation or should I just plan for sugery?

I hear there is a great mall somwhere -- going to look for it when we're down there for DF surgery on July 11th. I'll let you know what we find.

I do not know any Spanish and have a hearing loss-will I be able to get by okay with just pointing to words on the Spanish-English phrase sheet that I saw on this forum somewhere?

Almost everyone I came in contact with spoke English and understood it enough to get what you may ask for. Be sure you tell them of your hearing problem.

Any ideas of how to find financing when credit is not good? I am sure that I will have more questions later. I am Clinical Director of a 74 bed adolescent residential therapy center. Love my job and also enjoy travelling, dogs, cats, motorcycling, hot air ballooning, reading, writing, Facebook and going to movies and plays. Thanks for giving such good information on this site so that I was able to make an informed decision. Norma:thumbup1:

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have -- someone will unlikely have an answer for you.

Thanks, VegasAngel. I am feeling good about my decision to go with the sleeve rather than the band. I am sure that I will be having more questions later.

I was looking into lapband in Mexico by Dr Rodriquez when Renee from Dr Aceves called me to talk about the sleeve. After researching it and reading this forum, I am now convinced that this is the surgery for me. I refused the gastric bypass twice with United Healthcare and Cigna over the last 10 yrs. Glad I did, but now am with BCBS and they don't cover any WLS. So am selfpay and will have to find fianancing-have already been turned down by one company. I have cut expenses by moving in with friends and taking a second job. Am almost 50 now and BMI of 54 with diabetes, asthma, hypertension and sleep apnea. My ?s are: After finding financing, how long will it take to get on Dr Aceves' schedule? Is the passport card enough or do I need the passport book?, Do I need to have a person accompany me for surgery trip or is going alone safe and will I be able to handle luggage, etc after surgery by myself? Do AT&T cellphones and internet work in Mexico? Is there anything to do in Mexicalli for a vacation or should I just plan for sugery? I do not know any Spanish and have a hearing loss-will I be able to get by okay with just pointing to words on the Spanish-English phrase sheet that I saw on this forum somewhere? Any ideas of how to find financing when credit is not good? I am sure that I will have more questions later. I am Clinical Director of a 74 bed adolescent residential therapy center. Love my job and also enjoy travelling, dogs, cats, motorcycling, hot air ballooning, reading, writing, Facebook and going to movies and plays. Thanks for giving such good information on this site so that I was able to make an informed decision. Norma:thumbup1:

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here.

I've had a band and now I have a sleeve. You couldn't pay me to have another band. Bands are a great way to lose about half your excess weight short term. They are hard to deal with regarding getting stuck all the time, the vomiting, sliming, foaming, it's just a very hard journey. I was totally prepared for hard work in losing weight but I was not prepared for the constant problems with banding.

Sleeves are soooo much easier in so many ways. The food limitations many have with banding result in chronic Constipation due to an inability to eat vegetables and other fibrous foods. With my sleeve I can eat anything I want but in very small quantities.

The passport card is all you need and the total cost is $45.00. You go to your local post office (some require an appt), fill out a form, give them a certified copy of your birth certificate, give them $45, swear an oath and you are done. If you get a passport card instead of a passport book just please know you can only travel to Canada and Mexico by ground. If you want to fly into either country or if you want to travel to any other country you will need the passport book. That is $75 vs. $20 for the card. Then for first time passport users there is an additional $25.00 fee. So for a card it is $45, for a book it is $100 total.

Be sure to make a photo copy of your card/book when you get it and keep it in a secure place at home where a friend can get to it in a pinch in case you lose your card.

I went alone to Dr. Aceves for my band and sleeve. It's no big deal, there are so many people checking on you throughout your hospital stay it really isn't a problem. If you feel better bringing someone with you then by all means, do!

My cellphone works at the hospital well and the hospital has wireless internet connection for you.

It's good to have you here!