Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know what you mean about the cravings. Im the same way. I do so much better when I avoid them, but I always give in sometimes. It keeps me sane, but then on the other hand, it makes me want more...ugh...lol

Ill try the ice Water trick. I know when I drink Water, i dont feel as hungry. But my appetite always comes back with a vengence.

Did you ever do the cottage cheese test we did on the other board?

On OH, they tried to eat as much cottage cheese as they possibly could, to see how much they could eat, or how much their stomach has stretched. I can't remember how much they decided was the most , but WasA had to use egg salad because she hates cottage cheese.

On OH, they tried to eat as much cottage cheese as they possibly could, to see how much they could eat, or how much their stomach has stretched. I can't remember how much they decided was the most , but WasA had to use egg salad because she hates cottage cheese.< /strong>

I've never liked egg salad ... so maybe WASa can give me a good recipe -- I might be able to eat it now with this weird thing in my tastes happening.

this is how I make it. Boil how ever many eggs as you want.

chop them up and add either mayo or miracle whip to get it was wet at you want. Add a tiny bit of mustard and as much pickle relish as you like. I ate it a lot on mushies.

I could eat about 2 tablespoons 3 times a day.

It's better to use cottage cheese anyway.

Here's a link to the test:

Bariatric Resource Center: A4 The Cottage cheese Test, BSCI Articles, A4

It was designed originally for RnY.

Hi Barbara :)

I have not had my sleeve done yet, but my sister had the gastric bypass surgery 5 yrs ago, and for both of us, our lives revolved around food 24/7. Im talking....300 LBS in the 3rd grade! Feasting 7 days a wk. My father had 18 brothers and sisters. We were together every day. My family knew nothing about nutrition. If we didn't have 4 different kinds of Pasta, 4 different types of meat, and so on, we couldn't go out to play, so that type of eating was instilled in us from very young. We couldn't walk back to school after lunch, cause of the size of lunch we ate, every day. I have been through every eating disorder out there, and today, at the age of 46, with EVERY ailment in the book, being a MAJOR BINGE EATER, AND MY SISTER AS WELL, The surgeons r telling me the surgery will save my life. I am very scared, cause we never knew Breakfast, lunch, or dinner. We ate round the clock. Ultimately, my sister lost 100 lbs total (including pre-op diet for only 4 days), but.... she walked around with sugar of 500 on insulin every day pre-op, and had other ailments too, yet now with all she eats (5 yrs post op), she is still 100 lbs down. No, it's not the greatest, but she is so much better off today than she was b4 the surgery, and although she has bad days, she is so very happy she did this when she did. I feel like I cant live without eating a whole chicken for lunch, and a whole bag of salad with the works. This is every day, round the clock, so Im petrified of what will be afterwards, but...from all the research I did, and all the stories I hear on this site and others, I PERSONALLY THINK THAT IT WILL WORK OUT. MAY TAKE ME LONGER THAN SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T BINGE EAT, AND IT MAY BE REALLY HARD FOR ME TO DEAL WITH, BUT IM GONNA GIVE IT A SHOT. If my sister is able to keep that hundred lbs off, believe me when I tell u, the surgery will do justice. Of course it's only my opinion, and it's all up to u. Im sorry for the novel, but just thought I had to share all that. Good Luck to u, and may God Bless U in whatever decision u make :D:D:D

I Have a question I have not seen asked on here. We were or all obese for one reason or another. over eating, binge eating or whatever habits we had if we can call them habits. How does VSG change this eating?

so that you loose weight?

Thanks for any answers, :sad0:

When the surgery removes the ghrelin, (sp?) your mind is not on food all the time. If you try to eat too much, it will be quite painful.

It would probably be a good idea for you to try to get some counseling regarding your eating issues. The surgery will fix your stomach, and not your brain. We have had some people become extremely depressed because they can't eat the amount of food they want to eat.

Hello, I have suffered from various eating disorders all my life, with Binge eating disorder high on the list in my later adult years. I was warned that WLS would not help me, but you know, after 40 years of every diet, every therapy available, everything that medical science had to offer as well as everything that all the quacks out there have to offer, I had to try it.

So my answer to does it help with binging is yes and no. Yes, because now I have that restriction so that even when I do make bad choices, the damage is very minimal. And no becuase of course, I carry the same head around with me that still wants to binge sometimes.

But what it does do for me is buy me time to think. There have been times when I have wanted to binge, and have even purchased my favorite binge foods. But can I scarf them down? No, 3-4 bites and I am done. So then I have time to think it through, do I really want to do this? SOmetimes, YES, LOL!, but really I can't physically, so I end up throwing it out or sheepishly bringing it home and handing it over to my family so they can finish it. They know all about me. And then I look at what led me to think I needed to binge and I hopefully learn yet another thing about me and my food issues.

So I guess this is why I have a problem when I hear people say that if you don't solve your food issues first, then you shouldn't have surgery. Some of us would die first. I also take issue with surgeons who won't operate unless you lose X amount of weight first. If I could lose weight on my own, I wouldn't need the surgery. I gained 20 pounds while I was waiting for surgery becuase for me stress and binging go hand in hand. Dr. Aceves was so sweet, he knew that I needed the surgery to get my life back and he was right.

So my wieght loss has been slow, now 84 lbs at 11 months out, but even though I've had some bumps in the road with the food still, the periods of good eating have been wonderful, and the bad times are getting fewer and far between, and now finally for the first time in my life the pressure is relieved and I really am learning to deal with my food issues.

So for bingers, I would do this again, but just know that its not a magic cure and that you will need patience and time and willingness to work on things as you go.

Bren

Amen.

The more I read about Dr. Aceves, the more I like him.

I was in a program that required I lose before surgery. Do you know they actually believe it is a "sign" of future success? I wonder how many times I rolled my eyes without realizing I was doing it. How an organization can work with obese adults and not eventually come to the understanding that every obese person in the world has tried every diet in the universe before eventually accepting that they need surgery. I could not count the number of times I've lost and gained back 30 pounds. Heck, to me 30 pounds isn't even a significant amount of weight. But, then again, I've read here where people believe that too. I'm not a believer. Granted, I think this surgery needs to go hand in hand with other help for some people. But to believe that my losing 30 pound pre-surgery will mean I'll be doing better than someone else in 3 years time.....well, that's foolish in my mind.

I Have a question I have not seen asked on here. We were or all obese for one reason or another. over eating, binge eating or whatever habits we had if we can call them habits. How does VSG change this eating?

so that you loose weight?

Thanks for any answers, :sad0:

I am not a true binge eater. I honestly didn't understand how bad people binge until I did my psychiatrist's eval for this program. Because I would go maybe 10 days eating very well, then 3 or 4 days eating very poorly, I thought it was binge eating. They explained to me that it's a much more severe issue. But still, when you condense you bad eating into windows of time, it tells me that I was probably more stressed during those times which lead me to more food and worse food. So one of the things I thought about was when I quit smoking many, many years ago. For the first few weeks, it was rough. Cigarettes were in my thoughts a lot. But as time moved forward, I began to think about them less and less. Until about 6 months later I realized they were no longer the center of my universe. I honestly believe it will be the same way with food. I plan to use this tool to the best of my ability to open my world to other things and fun things. And I have every reason to believe that in 6 months, when my knees hurt less and I'm able to do more activities, those things will -- along with having had this surgery -- will help to push the thoughts about food to the back of my brain instead of the front. And then I'm strong enough to shut them up. ;)

This particular response was very helpful to me. I recently realized I had become a binge eater. I am also an emotional eater..and I just love food. I'm def going to talk to my therapist to help me get a grip on the binging and way of thinking when I do it. I think that is my biggest problem at the moment. I haven't had surgery yet and still waiting to qualify due to medical issues but it won't hurt to get hold of the problem regardless whether I have the surgery or have to lose it the traditional way. Thanks for putting something so complicated into perspective for me,,you made it much easier for me to understand and when I read it,,I was like "AH HA!!" that's whats wrong with me!

Hello, I have suffered from various eating disorders all my life, with Binge eating disorder high on the list in my later adult years. I was warned that WLS would not help me, but you know, after 40 years of every diet, every therapy available, everything that medical science had to offer as well as everything that all the quacks out there have to offer, I had to try it.

So my answer to does it help with binging is yes and no. Yes, because now I have that restriction so that even when I do make bad choices, the damage is very minimal. And no becuase of course, I carry the same head around with me that still wants to binge sometimes.

But what it does do for me is buy me time to think. There have been times when I have wanted to binge, and have even purchased my favorite binge foods. But can I scarf them down? No, 3-4 bites and I am done. So then I have time to think it through, do I really want to do this? SOmetimes, YES, LOL!, but really I can't physically, so I end up throwing it out or sheepishly bringing it home and handing it over to my family so they can finish it. They know all about me. And then I look at what led me to think I needed to binge and I hopefully learn yet another thing about me and my food issues.

So I guess this is why I have a problem when I hear people say that if you don't solve your food issues first, then you shouldn't have surgery. Some of us would die first. I also take issue with surgeons who won't operate unless you lose X amount of weight first. If I could lose weight on my own, I wouldn't need the surgery. I gained 20 pounds while I was waiting for surgery becuase for me stress and binging go hand in hand. Dr. Aceves was so sweet, he knew that I needed the surgery to get my life back and he was right.

So my wieght loss has been slow, now 84 lbs at 11 months out, but even though I've had some bumps in the road with the food still, the periods of good eating have been wonderful, and the bad times are getting fewer and far between, and now finally for the first time in my life the pressure is relieved and I really am learning to deal with my food issues.

So for bingers, I would do this again, but just know that its not a magic cure and that you will need patience and time and willingness to work on things as you go.

Bren