Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having fear about my decision for lap-band surgery

Hi,

My name is Susan and I have been involved in the process for the past 2 months. I am scheduled to meet the surgeon next Thursday 5/25/06 and make my final decision and schedule my surgery...I hope I am doing the right thing.. I so want to be healthy. I have 110 pounds to lose.

Susan

Follow your heart and it will lead you where you n eed to be. Any surgery is a scary thing. Just think how much healthier you will be once it is all done and over with. As long as you have researched all the surgeries make sure it is one you are comfortable with and that you know all the positives and negatives and dont let someone make the decision for you. YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU! No one lives your life but you! Best of luck and keep us posted!

You are very normal I think everyone has had some fear it is a life changing surgery!!I actually had thoughts of leaving the hospital the moring of surgery!

Hi Susan!

My advice is to make sure you understand everything before you have the surgery. Read all you can about what life is like when you first get banded, and after that. The more you know, the better it is...

When I first started to research the band, I was very leary about it. But after doing all of my research, I knew it was right for me. Yes, I was nervous to have surgery, and to be forced to change my relationship with food. But I knew that I needed some tool to help me to become healthy, that I couldn't do it on my own. I failed too many times...

Good luck!!!

I almost backed out two or three times. Thank God I did not. I look and feel so much better. A the surgery was a piece of cake.But I cannot and do not want to eat the way I used to. But it does get maddning sometimes when I have great resriction in the mornings.Protien shake Breakfast.< /p>

Hi Susan-

I've been a RN since 1982. I had lots of 2nd thoughts about this surgery, but after all the wgt lose and gains... I felt this would be the best for me.

I have the surg last June '05. To date, I've lost 70Ibs. It's been slow and steady. I've had 2 fills and I'm at 2.5cc. My last fill was 11/05. This has held me until about 2 wks ago. I need another fill, but have a trip to take next week and another in June, and both trips are during the week the Dr's does his fills. So-- I have to wait until July....

I researched and read many boards, visited over 12 Dr's and made many seminars, for 9 mos before making a decision. Like everyone else, I have lost wgt before but never kept it off. Over the last 20 yrs- I've lost over 150Ibs, but just to put it back on.... plus more.

So, for me... I can say that this decision was definately the correct one. Would I do it over again? ..... In a heart beat. It's teaching me the correct way to eat. It's helping my family learn the correct way to eat.

It takes a leap of faith.

Done the research? Check!

Found the correct surgeon? Check!

Know about post-op considerations? Check!

Considered past history? Check!

Anticipate future health? Check!

Time to make the leap of faith. Check?