Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I thought I might post my story-

Like many, I have always been overweight. Both of my parents are heavy, so I got the genes good.

I was rear-ended 4 years ago, and I ballooned upwards because of the time in bed. I have tried to get the weight off by dieting, but I end up starving all the time, and weirdly obsessed with food.< /p>

So I started kicking surgery around a few years ago, but the RNY just seemed too radical for me, and because of my profession (horse trainer) the band just seemed risky. So I never acted on it.

But I was looking into it again and I came across the sleeve, and I knew instantly that this was the surgery for me.

So now I just have to see where I'm going to have, if my insurance will cover it, etc. I have UHC. I have had a phone consult with Dr. Cirangle at LapSF and now the insurance process begins. If the insurance doesn't come through I will go with Dr. Aceves. My husband is a little nervous about going to MX, so he is hoping the insurance will come through. I don't really care, they seem to be equally qualified, I just want to get a move on.

I haven't told anyone except my husband, and I am not planning on telling anyone. My aunt and uncle had RNY and my aunt had massive complications (I don't think they used a good surgen) and then they decided to eat all unhealthy slider foods. So my parents, my mother especially, isn't really in a place that she could be supportive. So I figure after the fact will be the time to tell them.

So that's it I guess.

Welcome! Mac used Cirangle (I think, LOL) and a lot of us used Aceves... both great surgeons. Like you, I decided to keep my surgery between me and 2 others and I don't regret that decision at all. Let us know how you do with insurance and keep us posted on your pre-op preparations.

Dr. Cirangle is great! I think he has "magic hands". (The nurses who work with him rave about his skill.)

He can be blunt, which some people don't like, but I prefer it, because I can sense the concern behind it.

Welcome! Mac used Cirangle (I think, LOL) and a lot of us used Aceves... both great surgeons. Like you, I decided to keep my surgery between me and 2 others and I don't regret that decision at all. Let us know how you do with insurance and keep us posted on your pre-op preparations.
Dr. Cirangle is great! I think he has "magic hands". (The nurses who work with him rave about his skill.)

He can be blunt, which some people don't like, but I prefer it, because I can sense the concern behind it.

DO either of you (or anyone else) know of a good surgeon in SoCal? The reason I ask is that I have told everyone that I had my sliding hiatal hernia repaired in SoCal because I don't trust the surgeons/hospitals in Las Vegas (which is very true). No one has questioned which doctor; however, I know my dad's wife is going to question me and I need to come up with a good surgeon in SoCal that I can give her. I hate lying; however, I prefer not to be judged for my decision.

As soon as my dad found out I had surgery he was on medlineplus.com checking out the surgery and after asking me if I was okay ... he said "Well now you need to lose weight because obesity is one of the main causes."

So any help would be appreciated ... not a bariatric surgeon - just a well established surgeon anywhere in SoCal - I never gave them a specific place. If I didn't think they'd check out the doctor's name, I'd give them the truth and name Dr. Aceves. *SHRUGS*

I'm in Virginia, so I don't know anyone in CA. I choose Dr. C because of his stats, just like Dr. Aceves as "back-up" if the insurance doesn't come through.

I had a phone consult with him on Friday and he seemed very nice in that "no-nonsense" kind of way. Which is fine by me, I like people who get to the point.

So now I guess I wait on the insurance decision, I am keeping my fingers crossed for an approval!:laugh0:

Socal? How about Dr. Owen? He has a good rep and he's recently started doing the sleeve:

Bariatric Surgeon Profile - Milton L. Owens M.D.

Actually prefer a surgeon who doesn't do sleeve surgery ... my dad may be 81 but trust me he's sharp as a tack ... if WLS is mentioned, he'll start questionning me ... got another one for me Mac?

I know this probably seems silly; however, I know my family well enough that they will judge me ... especially my father who feels that at 81 he's earned the right to say whatever he damn well feels and to heck with whoever he might offend. And BTW - he's ALWAYS RIGHT!

I only know WLS surgeons in SoCal. Sorry.

I only know WLS surgeons in SoCal. Sorry.

Oh that's okay - thanks for even taking the time to reply -- I'll figure out something. This is hard for me because I've always gone with the mantra that honesty is the best policy ... I'm not a very good liar.

can't you go online and look in the yellow pages?

can't you go online and look in the yellow pages?

Yes, and I can also go to the state medical board -- I'll check that out at work tomorrow as I don't have the link with me here at home ... I'll find someone that sounds good and convincing