Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there everyone...I became a "sleeve sister" on September 23, 2008. Since I've begain this journey, I've lost around 55 lbs. I feel my weight loss has been very very slow, about 20 of the 55 lbs were lost preop. Aside from the slow weight loss, I am feeling great, and doing things I haven't done in about 4 years. I am the most greatful mother to an almost 5 year old son, and 3 dogs (1 a yorkie mix, 2 mini schnauzers). I have been married for 4 years to my highschool sweetheart! I currently attend a local gym, participating in personal training sessions. I believe this training has slowed my weight loss. Sadly though, over the last 6 weeks of my training I haven't lost too many inches :( I plan on regrouping myself, and looking at my eatting habbits from a different view point. I need to totally eliminate my carbs in the evening and definately boost my protien with supplements again (YUCK). I'm hoping soon to see my OB/GYN, and get clearance soon to begin trying to have another baby! I had a miscarriage 2 years ago, and despiartely want to try again for another baby. I feel that nurtritionally I can support a pregnancy, but still would like to lose some more weight before prego happens. I am open to any suggestions to help with my stubborn weight loss? I am truely pleased with my sleeve, I just now need to teach myself to work my tool. I don't think I learned enough in the begining, and am struggeling now. I hope this introduction letter finds everyone doing well. Thank you in advance for the response! Hope to hear from you guys!

Crystal:thumbup1:

Hi there everyone...I became a "sleeve sister" on September 23, 2008. Since I've begain this journey, I've lost around 55 lbs. I feel my weight loss has been very very slow, about 20 of the 55 lbs were lost preop. Aside from the slow weight loss, I am feeling great, and doing things I haven't done in about 4 years. I am the most greatful mother to an almost 5 year old son, and 3 dogs (1 a yorkie mix, 2 mini schnauzers). I have been married for 4 years to my highschool sweetheart! I currently attend a local gym, participating in personal training sessions. I believe this training has slowed my weight loss. Sadly though, over the last 6 weeks of my training I haven't lost too many inches :( I plan on regrouping myself, and looking at my eatting habbits from a different view point. I need to totally eliminate my carbs in the evening and definately boost my protien with supplements again (YUCK). I'm hoping soon to see my OB/GYN, and get clearance soon to begin trying to have another baby! I had a miscarriage 2 years ago, and despiartely want to try again for another baby. I feel that nurtritionally I can support a pregnancy, but still would like to lose some more weight before prego happens. I am open to any suggestions to help with my stubborn weight loss? I am truely pleased with my sleeve, I just now need to teach myself to work my tool. I don't think I learned enough in the begining, and am struggeling now. I hope this introduction letter finds everyone doing well. Thank you in advance for the response! Hope to hear from you guys!

Crystal:thumbup1:

Welcome to the forum!

Have you considered the 5DPT? I use it when I need to get off carbs, it just gets me back on track. After the 5DPT I slowly add in good carbs but limit ALL white carbs to 20gms daily. (Protein shakes have 2gms carbs, etc.)

Do you know what your trigger carb is? Flour? Sugar? Potatoes? After the 5DPT just don't start on that food again.

For me if I start eating flour I can't stop. It's all or none for me.

Are you getting you Protein in? I once had a friend that was about 600#, he lost over 100# but amazingly, very few inches. He swears that when he bumped up his protein he started losing inches like crazy. Not quite sure how that worked but he swears by it.

Welcome! Are you tracking all the food that goes into your mouth? There are a lot of free dietary tracking sites and you might be surprised to see that the number of calories you think you're eating is a lot more.

I really need to kick my own behind about keeping track of what I'm eatting, and also I think the 5DPT will help me get back on track too. I think comming to a new message board will help me with the support. In the begining I would frequent at Obesity Help. I still check around on a regular basis, but seemed to get away from posting. As I drifted from that form of support, i started letting things go by the way side. I recieved an e-mail at OH about this site. It motivated me to attempt a new group of people to help support and recieve support myself with. Thank you both for the response...such a quick response really helps keep me wanting to come back. I hope that I can provide that same feeling for others as well.

I really need to kick my own behind about keeping track of what I'm eatting, and also I think the 5DPT will help me get back on track too. I think comming to a new message board will help me with the support. In the begining I would frequent at Obesity Help. I still check around on a regular basis, but seemed to get away from posting. As I drifted from that form of support, i started letting things go by the way side. I recieved an e-mail at OH about this site. It motivated me to attempt a new group of people to help support and recieve support myself with. Thank you both for the response...such a quick response really helps keep me wanting to come back. I hope that I can provide that same feeling for others as well.

I have my own version of the 5DPT. The original version says to do liquids such as cream Soups, etc. for two days, soft Proteins x2 days and solid Protein x1 day. I do Protein shakes x2d, soft carb free protiens x2 days and hard Proteins x1 day. It gets me off carbs and I can go back to my usual.

WLS is hard, there are no solid rules. Each person has to find what works for them and go for it. But the key is finding out how a LOT of others do it and take what works and let the rest go.

Welcome to the forum!

Have you considered the 5DPT? I use it when I need to get off carbs, it just gets me back on track. After the 5DPT I slowly add in good carbs but limit ALL white carbs to 20gms daily. (Protein shakes have 2gms carbs, etc.)

Do you know what your trigger carb is? Flour? Sugar? Potatoes? After the 5DPT just don't start on that food again.

For me if I start eating flour I can't stop. It's all or none for me.

Are you getting you Protein in? I once had a friend that was about 600#, he lost over 100# but amazingly, very few inches. He swears that when he bumped up his protein he started losing inches like crazy. Not quite sure how that worked but he swears by it.

This may sound like a dumb question but what is a 5DPT? And how do I do it?

5DPT is a quick abberivation for the 5 day pouch test, where you basically eliminate carbs totally and start on liquid protiens x2days, then soft protien x2 day, then solid protien then you gradually add "good/healthy" carbs back into your diet.

5DPT is a quick abberivation for the 5 day pouch test, where you basically eliminate carbs totally and start on liquid protiens x2days, then soft protien x2 day, then solid protien then you gradually add "good/healthy" carbs back into your diet.

Thanks Crystal. That is good information to know. I wonder if I could do this "pre-sleeve". I still have a pouch, its not very small but it seems as if it will help. LOL :thumbup1:

I became a "sleeve sister" on September 23, 2008.

Hey, that's the day before me! I started a thread for Sept '08 sleevesters in the 2008 section. Come join me. :thumbup:

As for weight loss, I am below my original goal and here is how I did it:

-religiously track everything I put in my mouth. Then, whenever weight loss slows down or cravings come back, I check it over to see where I can improve

-drink a lot of Water - at least 64 oz of Fluid, most of it Water, a day, but 80-100 oz, if I can

-exercise 4-5x a week for 30 min. at first and then upped it every time my weight loss slowed down.

-held myself to under 800 calories, 70-90 g of Protein, under 40 g of carbs, under 30 g of fat for the first 6 months; after that, I gradually upped my Protein and eventually my carbs but I was trying to slow down my weight loss at this point

I think tracking, high protein, and exercise were really the keys though.