Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Czech Republic & Dr Cierny

Hi,

I can thoroughly recommend Dr Cierny and his team. I can also recommend the UK company that arranges the whole operation as a package, Cosmtic Bliss. They sent me all the info I needed and handled all the bookings that needed to be done, sent me the liver reduction diet details and a whole load of other info. It was very professional with a human face. The whole package cost just over ?5,000 plus an optional ?300 extra insurance which I opted for as I am a major pessamist! This included everything, flights, hotel, clinic etc. In the UK I was told a lap band would cost around ?11,000 privately, so the economics were astounding.

I was originally supposed to have the op in April, flying out on the 19th. The Wednesday before I developed a cold and consulted the comprehensive documentation I had received and saw that this would be a problem do I rang Cosmetic Bliss and was told to reschedule which I did.

I finally flew to Brno from the UK on the Sunday 10th May. I was accompanied by the couple who arrange the UK side of the package for therse surgeries, Deborah and Michael. Michael has had the operation himself so both of them know what's what and were very informative and fun on the journey.

I spent the 1st night in a good hotel and then was taken to the clinic on the Monday by Deborah and Michael. The clinic was spotless and modern, the room had two beds and a big ensuite with a massive and glorious shower. I was alone in it though as the other patient due to be there had caught a cold so had to reschedule. Apparently the hospital infection rates are extremely low there which I can attribute the very high standard of hygiene that was kept by *all* staff.

Spent the day there having tests including psychological ones (so I know I am sane now!), endoscopy under sedation, blood tests, x-ray, breathing tests and ultrasound. The next day I was judged fit enough for the Op despite a small inflamation marker elevation in my blood test as that was coming down and was probably attributable to some dental hygentist work I had done a few days previously.

So the op was done on Tuesday and came round with no pain and a couple of drains attached on either side. I then started feeling sick and the lovely nurse administered drugs very quickly to get rid of it. At no time was I ever left to suffer any problem, when I rang the bell the nurses actually ran down the corridor to me, you won't get that in the UK on the NHS!

They encourage you to get up and walk about as soon as possible as this stops blood clots and aids healing. I had a rubber glove taped to a straw that I had to inflate 5 times every few hours as that was good for stopping pneumonias developing apparently! All the staff were kind and spoke good to basic English.

I had a leak test in radiography and passed. Two doctors including Dr Cierny himself did this test. Very thorough.

Dr Cierny and his team came round to see me after the op and several time in the next couple of days and they were genuinely friendly and kind as well as being extremely skilled and competant at their jobs.

Deborah came to see me every day to check I was OK and happy, she and I had lots of good chats.

I had the drains removed on the Thursday afternoon and by Friday afternoon was well enough to get dressed and fly home to the UK. The journey was a bit of a strain but not too bad.

I am being followed up in the UK by Cassandra who will moitor my weight loss and advice of diet.

All in all a good experience.

:thumbup:

Edited by Jane_J

Congratulations on getting the surgery and on your weight loss. It sounds like you had a great experience.

Thanks for the great informative post. I too am considering Dr Cierny and was really pleased to see your positive comments.

I would be going direct as I am no longer living in the UK but any hints on what to expect would be a great help.

Thanks, Gal

Hi Gal,

I am on hols at the moment so I will reply properly in a week or so. I am still doing well and have just done my 1st scuba dive in 10 years!! So I am getting back to the fitter person I was.

All the very best,

Jane