Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure where to put this

I have a friend who had her surgery a week to the day after me. She pukes and slimes every day. She did not follow the post op diet to the letter. I told her her stomach probably still has swelling due to the fact that she wasn't progressing through the food stages like we were supposed to.

Could there be any other reason she pukes every time she eats 2 bites?

I lurk over there at the other place and they have mentioned

strictures. I am not sure what that even is or even if I spelled it right.

Since WasA and Elizabeth are both nurses, I thought I'd ask here. WasA knew I was concerned about her before she even had surgery. She may be a bad patient, but she is still my friend and I would like to

be able to give her good advice.

Thanks!

I think she needs to have an evaluation ASAP to see what's going on. She'll need to drink the contrast to evaluate if there is a problem. How did she NOT follow the diet? What is she eating?

Well she went to our doc, so going back there for a test is not an option. I told her she needs to be evaluated by her PCP. He is retiring and I have always thought he is a rotten doctor anyway. I don't think she has decided on who her new PCP will be. I have to add here that she is also a nurse and claims that nurses are the worse patients.

She drank broth the first 10 days, but did include other little things, a bite of this or that. Full liquids I do believe she had chocolate milk. She hates the taste of the Protein drinks. For mushies she had chicken noodle Soup with the noodles mashed up, a little bit of mashed Beans,& mashed potatoes. She really has had no Protein to speak of that I know of since she had surgery, other than what little bit there is in those cans of pork and Beans.< /p>

Edited by Oregondaisy

Is this the same person that stopped at the food court in the airport on the way home from surgery? I thought you said she was eating solids during clears?

She might not be chewing well, eating too fast, too big of bites, etc. If she had a stricture she would likely not be able to get anything down and she'd probably be quite dehydrated.

A stricture is scar tissue that blocks the food so people who have them have trouble keeping everything down, even liquids as WASa said.

She drank broth the first 10 days, but did include other little things, a bite of this or that. Full liquids I do believe she had chocolate milk. She hates the taste of the Protein drinks. For mushies she had chicken noodle Soup with the noodles mashed up, a little bit of mashed Beans,& mashed potatoes. She really has had no Protein to speak of that I know of since she had surgery, other than what little bit there is in those cans of pork and Beans.< /div>

Sorry Denise, but I can't even phathom that she would spend that kind of money and totally blow the pre-op diet .. what's she going to do when she gets to solids? And even if nurses do make the worst patients, she should KNOW how important it is to follow doctor's instructions.

She should have had a psych eval before having the sleeve -- she's obviously got more problems than just being overweight. IMO, she needs to seek some counseling to help her figure out why she can't follow directions and why she would jeopardize her life for a few bites of pork & beans when in 2 months or so she could have had them anyway.

I hope she gets some help with her puking. So what if she can't go back to Dr. Aceves. She is a nurse, she obviously has some doctor contacts she can call upon or she can always go to the ER!

Keep us posted.

Well, I can see why people blow the pre-op diet. But I can't see blowing the post-op diet as that isn't "dieting" but a medical issue. It's like not lifting stuff immediately after surgery or not eating certain foods when you are on certain medications.

Oh she did have a psych eval when she was trying to get her insurance to pay for her surgery. The person told her she had major food issues. She knows she does.

When she was not following doctors orders, I told her the stories I read about concerning leaks. I talked to her today and she said going back to work has been good for her. She says she is not puking anymore.

RNs make bad patients but they don't make stupid patients. If this friend understands the specifics of the surgery she had and decides to risk her life, she needs professional help.