Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Francisco Contreras

Guest liveinphx

Guest liveinphx

I had my surgery with Dr Contreras in June 08 and everything about it was top notch from start to finish.

When I was researching surgeons, which I did extensively, when it was all said and done he was my first choice.

He was the only one willing to do a consult on the phone with me before I ever committed to using him. He spent about 45 minutes on the phone with me explaining exactly what he does and why he does it. It was reassuring to me that I could speak with him direcly and not a coordinator.

I flew in to San Diego the morning of surgery and was met by the driver who was professional and curteous. He drove me to the hospital which is about 10-15 minutes over the border. At no time during the border crossing either way did I feel unsafe or in any danger.

Dr C met me at the door of the hospital and talked/walked me through what would happen that day. I had all my pre-op testing (Chest Xray, blood work, EKG etc done by the internal med MD and this staff. I was then taken to my room until it was surgery time.

I remember going in to the surgical suite, I remember getting the epidural but not much else after that.

I remember waking up in my room later that day. I was not in much pain at all and was walking and talking on the phone that evening. I know that I had 2 leak tests while I was in surgery ane the following morning I was taken back down for a 3d leak test which was a contrast type test. There was also a 4th leak test which involved my drinking some blue substance which had there been a leak would have been detected in the drain. Saturday evening my IV came out and I was drinking liquids with no problems. I was not a big fan of the apple juice in the hospital so Dr C went and bought me some Gatorade. I was really touched by this gesture and when I did not really like the Grape Gatorade he came back with some lemonade type Vitamin Water. He was kind and gracious and wanted to make sure I had a liquid I would like drinking. I had no pain while drinking at all which was a pleasant suprise.

Friday and Saturday he saw me at least 3 times each day. Sunday morning after confirming there we no leaks he removed the drain and I was off to the hotel.

For me this was a great option since I was bored and restless in the hospital. It was a lovely hospital and the staff was great I just wanted out and since I was doing so well he saw no problem with this.

He carried my suitcase to the hotel across the street and it too was lovely, more of resort type hotel.

Dr C made sure I was comfortable even advising the staff to bring me ice regularly since I do not like drinking warm liquids. I took no pain meds after I left the hospital and had virtually no pain.

Later that evening when he came to see me for the 3d or 4th time I talked to him about me returning home before the 3 days I could have stayed were up. Since I had no pain and was drinking like a champ and could even take my oral meds with no problem he said I could leave on Monday. He stayed with me while I called the airlines to change my fiight and then set up the transportation to take me to the airport the following day. He even came the following day to make sure I was picked up on time and to make sure the driver brought a step stool thing so I could get in to the van more easily.

I have had no problems post op and this is the easiest recovery from surgery I have ever had.

I have been able to eat and drink with no problems and have had O post op problems. Dr C emailed and spoke to me several times in the weeks after my surgery and I still keep in touch with him via email.

My total cost was $8600 which included everything except RT plane fare.

I can only speak from my own experience but I found him to be experienced, very qualified and professional. On a personal level I found him to be kind and caring.

I had my surgery with Dr Contreras in June 08 and everything about it was top notch from start to finish.

When I was researching surgeons, which I did extensively, when it was all said and done he was my first choice.

Weren't you originally scheduled with Arturo Rodriguez? Isn't the only reason you didn't have surgery with him because your bank messed up the loan paperwork and when you got to Mexico there was no money? Didn't you return home to straighten out the bank error and then you decided on your current surgeon?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

He was the only one willing to do a consult on the phone with me before I ever committed to using him. He spent about 45 minutes on the phone with me explaining exactly what he does and why he does it. It was reassuring to me that I could speak with him direcly and not a coordinator.

I flew in to San Diego the morning of surgery and was met by the driver who was professional and curteous. He drove me to the hospital which is about 10-15 minutes over the border. At no time during the border crossing either way did I feel unsafe or in any danger.

Dr C met me at the door of the hospital and talked/walked me through what would happen that day. I had all my pre-op testing (Chest Xray, blood work, EKG etc done by the internal med MD and this staff. I was then taken to my room until it was surgery time.

I remember going in to the surgical suite, I remember getting the epidural but not much else after that.

I remember waking up in my room later that day. I was not in much pain at all and was walking and talking on the phone that evening. I know that I had 2 leak tests while I was in surgery ane the following morning I was taken back down for a 3d leak test which was a contrast type test. There was also a 4th leak test which involved my drinking some blue substance which had there been a leak would have been detected in the drain. Saturday evening my IV came out and I was drinking liquids with no problems. I was not a big fan of the apple juice in the hospital so Dr C went and bought me some Gatorade. I was really touched by this gesture and when I did not really like the Grape Gatorade he came back with some lemonade type Vitamin Water. He was kind and gracious and wanted to make sure I had a liquid I would like drinking. I had no pain while drinking at all which was a pleasant suprise.

Friday and Saturday he saw me at least 3 times each day. Sunday morning after confirming there we no leaks he removed the drain and I was off to the hotel.

For me this was a great option since I was bored and restless in the hospital. It was a lovely hospital and the staff was great I just wanted out and since I was doing so well he saw no problem with this.

He carried my suitcase to the hotel across the street and it too was lovely, more of resort type hotel.

Dr C made sure I was comfortable even advising the staff to bring me ice regularly since I do not like drinking warm liquids. I took no pain meds after I left the hospital and had virtually no pain.

Later that evening when he came to see me for the 3d or 4th time I talked to him about me returning home before the 3 days I could have stayed were up. Since I had no pain and was drinking like a champ and could even take my oral meds with no problem he said I could leave on Monday. He stayed with me while I called the airlines to change my fiight and then set up the transportation to take me to the airport the following day. He even came the following day to make sure I was picked up on time and to make sure the driver brought a step stool thing so I could get in to the van more easily.

I have had no problems post op and this is the easiest recovery from surgery I have ever had.

I have been able to eat and drink with no problems and have had O post op problems. Dr C emailed and spoke to me several times in the weeks after my surgery and I still keep in touch with him via email.

My total cost was $8600 which included everything except RT plane fare.

I can only speak from my own experience but I found him to be experienced, very qualified and professional. On a personal level I found him to be kind and caring.

It's too bad he uses a hotel for recovery. Perhaps if he continues giving good service he'll create a better rep for himself.

Guest liveinphx

Weren't you originally scheduled with Arturo Rodriguez? Isn't the only reason you didn't have surgery with him because your bank messed up the loan paperwork and when you got to Mexico there was no money? Didn't you return home to straighten out the bank error and then you decided on your current surgeon?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

It's too bad he uses a hotel for recovery. Perhaps if he continues giving good service he'll create a better rep for himself.

Yes you are correct I did NOT have surgery with Arturo Rodriguez due to bank screw up, though I am not sure what that has to do with my experience with Dr C. Help me understand what your point was in posting this.

As for Dr C I am glad I did not have to stay in a hospital when there was NO medical reason to be there. I was also glad that he respected my wishes in leaving the hotel early since, again, there was no reason for me to stay. I am confident that if he felt there was any medical reason for me to have been in the hospital longer I would have remained there and if he did not feel it was medically appropriate for me to leave the hotel earlier he would not have agreed to that either.

Yes you are correct I did NOT have surgery with Arturo Rodriguez due to bank screw up, though I am not sure what that has to do with my experience with Dr C. Help me understand what your point was in posting this.

Well, just that he really wasn't your first choice. Your first choice was another surgeon and the only reason you didn't have surgery by him was because of the bank screw up (which would have made me angrier than angry).

As for Dr C I am glad I did not have to stay in a hospital when there was NO medical reason to be there. I was also glad that he respected my wishes in leaving the hotel early since, again, there was no reason for me to stay. I am confident that if he felt there was any medical reason for me to have been in the hospital longer I would have remained there and if he did not feel it was medically appropriate for me to leave the hotel earlier he would not have agreed to that either.

Thing is, sleeves are not like bands. The risk for complications is a little bit greater. It's always wise to cover you bases, if you spring a leak in a hotel in Tijuana, that isn't the ideal place to have a complication. That's why it is a safer bet to actually be in a hospital instead of hotel. I just don't like the cost saving measures some doctors use. I don't agree with recovery in a hotel for anyone having just had major surgery. Just my opinion.

Guest liveinphx

I will concede that he was "technically" not my first choice for a surgery that did NOT occur however he was my first choice for the surgery I actually had. I did not think it was a relevant detail to talk about a surgery I never had.

As for the recover the hotel was literally across the street from the hospital so I had access to the hospital but did not need it.

I am not asking that you agree with my choice or why I made it I am only asking that you respect it.

I was hoping that on this new board there would be more respect for differening opinions and choices. Hopefully this will happen though, sadly, thus far it looks more of the same old same old from the other boards.

I will concede that he was "technically" not my first choice for a surgery that did NOT occur however he was my first choice for the surgery I actually had. I did not think it was a relevant detail to talk about a surgery I never had.

Well, it is relevant when you explain he was your first choice. He wasn't your first choice, not by a long shot. Had your bank not messed up you wouldn't have had him do your surgery at all.

As for the recover the hotel was literally across the street from the hospital so I had access to the hospital but did not need it.

I don't care if it was down the hall, if nobody was checking on you every couple of hours, taking your vitals every shift, checking on you when you were asleep, doing all kinds of monitoring then it is not the same as basic hospital care. It's a cost savings measure and that is all. Not one I agree with. I do not agree with having someone in a hotel in Tijuana after major surgery. There are times and places to save money, basic basic basic medical care is not one of them.

I am not asking that you agree with my choice or why I made it I am only asking that you respect it.

It isn't an issue of respect. I don't care where you go for surgery, makes no difference to me. I don't respect or have a lack of respect for a surgery you had a year ago.

I was hoping that on this new board there would be more respect for differening opinions and choices. Hopefully this will happen though, sadly, thus far it looks more of the same old same old from the other boards.

You burned a lot of bridges in the past. To expect others to just forget it and move on... probably not going to happen without some major changes.

reply.... my two cets... is each his own and is responsible for their own choices. However..... I got sent home w/ feeding tube (NG) on pump and and IV to save my US insurance company money (not my choice....nor was I given one.... it was this is what we will cover and I couldn't do the 9k per day)...... I could make two to three days at home and then go back..... this went on for almost a month before they added the TPN line and still we played this game till I was not able to keep from having the baby (due to the stomach which was now strangulated.....though no one knew)

So please be aware this is done here too.....in the good ole usa...... so many people are used to this.

my friend with the by pass here ....also paid by her insurance....... had to be at hospital at 5 am........was out next evening by 7 pm......that was all allowed asnd this was just last fall (08) so for some of us, the recovery in the hotel is not a huge difference than the treatment we have received here in USA.

People need to do what they feel comfortable with. I'm an RN so my preference is not to recover in a hotel. It was one of the main factors I considered when choosing a surgeon. In Mexico, hospitals are owned by MDs and are quite small. I wanted to make sure I was in one with ICU cababilities and with RNs. My goal was to avoid complications and, for me, that meant 3 leak tests and a post-op recovery in the hospital. Others feel differently and that's fine for them.

reply.... my two cets... is each his own and is responsible for their own choices. However..... I got sent home w/ feeding tube (NG) on pump and and IV to save my US insurance company money (not my choice....nor was I given one.... it was this is what we will cover and I couldn't do the 9k per day)...... I could make two to three days at home and then go back..... this went on for almost a month before they added the TPN line and still we played this game till I was not able to keep from having the baby (due to the stomach which was now strangulated.....though no one knew)

So please be aware this is done here too.....in the good ole usa...... so many people are used to this.

my friend with the by pass here ....also paid by her insurance....... had to be at hospital at 5 am........was out next evening by 7 pm......that was all allowed asnd this was just last fall (08) so for some of us, the recovery in the hotel is not a huge difference than the treatment we have received here in USA.

Just because the US does things one way does not make it the right way. We are sending new moms home long before they are ready, this is putting especially the baby at risk. We used to do a good job of monitoring patients, we don't do that anymore. It doesn't make it right.

When the doctors in Mexico are charging fees that cover hospital stays, etc., but sending people to a hotel by themselves because it affords them a bigger paycheck, it's just not acceptable in my book.

Guest liveinphx

I was told up front what my fees covered and how many days in the hospital were involved. I was also told that should I have needed a longer hospital stay (I did not) that it was not a problem.

I felt comfortable with going to the hotel, if I hadn't I would not have gone. The surgeon also saw me 3x per day that I was in the hotel and he did check my vitals which is what would have happened in the hospital. At the hotel I was far more comfortable and relaxed. I also knew that Dr C was just phone call away and felt comfortable with that as well especially since the hospital was directly across the street.

Guest liveinphx

***Edited by WASaBubbleButt***

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

This is a new VSG website. Not sure who is in charge on here. Just think if you want to build this site up, and make people feel welcome, then I would suggest that the moderators, keep people from attacking other posters.

When patients post about their experience they don't want to have to worry about another poster belitting them, etc.

What happened here was WRONG!!!

I had surgery with Dr. Aceves. Maybe some on here like him, maybe some do not. That's ok with me, but please don't attack me when I post about my surgery experience and my hospital stay. I am just telling my VSG SURGERY STORY. Not suggesting what Dr. for someone to use. They need to do like I did an research and make their own decision.

Not sure I will be back to your new site. Afraid if I post I might say or do the wrong thing, and be treated like this poster.

There was no call in it, as she did not say, hey all you thinking of sugery go to my Dr. he is the best. She was only telling about her surgery and her experience.

Good Luck with your new website. At this RATE YOU ARE GOING TO NEED IT!!!!!

JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

This is a new VSG website. Not sure who is in charge on here. Just think if you want to build this site up, and make people feel welcome, then I would suggest that the moderators, keep people from attacking other posters.

When patients post about their experience they don't want to have to worry about another poster belitting them, etc.

What happened here was WRONG!!!

I had surgery with Dr. Aceves. Maybe some on here like him, maybe some do not. That's ok with me, but please don't attack me when I post about my surgery experience and my hospital stay. I am just telling my VSG SURGERY STORY. Not suggesting what Dr. for someone to use. They need to do like I did an research and make their own decision.

Not sure I will be back to your new site. Afraid if I post I might say or do the wrong thing, and be treated like this poster.

There was no call in it, as she did not say, hey all you thinking of sugery go to my Dr. he is the best. She was only telling about her surgery and her experience.

Good Luck with your new website. At this RATE YOU ARE GOING TO NEED IT!!!!!

Sorry you feel that way. Nobody was attacked, well.. one was and that post was edited. Thing is, this is a site just like LapBandTalk.com (owned by the same person) where the good and bad can be written about doctors, hospitals, experiences, etc. We encourage the freedom for people to post *anything* they know about any doctor or hospital relating to WLS as long as they have some reasonable idea to believe it is true.

I would also suggest that there is a lot of information that is historical as well as behind the scenes that you may be unaware of.

Do you know that on another huge WLS board (not LBT) where you post it used to be that if someone had a really negative experience with a doctor and if that doctor was an advertiser the negative experiences posts were deleted? How can people make good decisions about doctors when the negative experiences some have are removed merely because that doctor is an advertiser? Is that really what you want?

Maybe consider not being so quick to be judgmental in your very first post. There could be quite a bit of info you have no way of knowing and reasons for things being handled as they are. This site is only 4 days old and growing fairly quickly. The sister site is the biggest Lap Band forum on the internet. I'm thinking Alex knows how to run message boards. I don't think he'll need a great deal of luck getting this one off the ground.

I did not see the post that was edited so I can't comment on what you're upset about. I do know that debate is encouraged but personal attacks are against the rules. It's the same at lapbandtalk where I am a moderator. I certainly hope you take the time to look over the many other forums before making rash decisions. Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

What I want to know is whether you realized the Contreras also works in a scam cancer clinic with his father and, if so, why you would trust him to do your bariatric surgery after learning that?