Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Has Been Approved!!!!

Hey there LBsters.....I was here early spring and asking all my questions and mentioning my dear Hubby....was extremely non-supportive...yet very much into daily "fat" jokes about my wieght.

Anyhow.....I just learned TODAY that I was approved by my insurance...AND I can get banded on this coming Tuesday! (they had a cancelation....and called me STAT as my health insurance will change end of June and the new one might not be as friendly)

Ok....no time to think too much more about it....if I miss Tuesday's surgery...then the next available is mid-July....so I will be jumping in head first...or "tummy" first...so to speak. My hubby is still NON supportive....he wants me to sign a paper stating I am doing this against HIS wishes and I am fully on my own with any future health problems or financial burdens arising from this procedure!

LOL ..Can you believe that.....he is a doctor (pediatrics)....and it sounds like he is worried I might hold him responsible or sue....LOL

Then he said his true feelings are that he has no respect for someone who needs surgery because they couldn't control their eating. Ok..fine...but after 5 kids...you tell me if you take two brand new balloons out of a package.....inflate and deflate balloon "A" 5 times...then hold it up to the unused balloon "B"..and see if they both still look the same!!!!

I was really shocked that my insurance actually approved me.....I only had a BMI of only 35....(I just barely made it) but I have a horrible sleep apnea and with the workup...they found out I also have a fatty liver...which is another co-morbidity I guess. So.....my thoughts were..if I do get approved....go for it....if not...then keep trying the old-fashioned way....which I have lost and gained over and over and will probably be doomed to fail again.

Well, even with no support...and I know very well.....he is going to give me all sorts of guilt during my recoup time....as he "might" have to forgo some comforts and take on some house duties or parenting ...etc....I am still estatic and I hope I will find the emotional support from my cyber friends here on the board. I do have one great friend in my area and she is going to be a big support for me....but I am too embarrased to let my extended family or anyone else know that I was even considering this.....guess that's a side-effect of my hubby's take on the surgery.

Oh well....do keep me in your thoughts.....tomorrow morning I will meet for the presurgery consult at the Cleveland Clinic.

Warm wishes.....and only cyber chocolates from here on in!

Diane : )

Congrats D. Ask hubby if he had a diabetic patient would he withhold treatment because they should be able to control their sugars with dietary methods. Not. You are doing this to be healthy right. That is different from pure vanity. You want to be there for him and your kids. He will come around eventually. Keep your chin up and lean on us. M:clap2:

I left this morning to the Cleveland Clinic for an early appointment with the Docter (my pre-surgery consult)....then ended up being there till 4pm !!!

I needed blood work, nurse consults, anesthesia consult and hospital pre-registration.

Tired....but excited....and that's it......now I have to follow the pre surgery instructions and then show up!

I'll keep you posted.

Hubby said today that many docs told him that many of the patients end up regaining the wt back in the long term......????? I don't know where he got his info...but, I feel it is very much an individual journey....and many people after losing quite a lot of wt...will never go back. Also, it really comes down to whether or not you use this opportunity to have a LIFESTYLE change including a commitment to regular excersise.

I am not about to think that the band is going to do all the work....without a team effort (the band and I).....sure it will fail...but I am not about to go to such lengths ... to sabotage all of this.

Anyhow.....I appreciate your support.....and we shall see what my coming days will bring!

smiles...Diane : )

Don't listen to the naysayers. Go with your heart. Good Luck next Tuesday. I am having my done in about 12 hours. Myra

I don't want to be a fly in your ointment but . . .

The biggest reason doctors have lapband patients do a pre-op liquid diet is to reduce the fat in their livers. If your liver is too fatty, your doctor won't be able to retract it - move it out of the way - in order to place the band. You could wake up from surgery with all the scars and pain, but no band.

Are you sure you're physically ready? What did the doctor say about a pre-op diet? Did he discuss your liver with you?

I know you're anxious to get this done but if your doctor anesthetises you and opens you up, but can't place the band due to your liver, what kind of "I told you so's" are you going to have to endure from your husband?

If there's even a chance that this will happen, isn't it better to wait and be sure of the outcome rather than go forward this quickly just because the doctor had a cancellation?

DonnaB not all docs require a liquid diet preop. Mine doesn't although I have to do South Beach phase 1. Some docs don't do any type of dieting preop. One of thoses doctorly quirks that they garner from their experience with patients I think. M

Congrats on the surgery date, but with an already fat liver isn't your dr. concerned about a pre-op diet to shrink the liver. I've heard of people not being able to be banded because of a "too fat liver". I don't want to rain on your parade, but the pre-op diet is for that very reason...to shrink the liver. Please ask a few more questions before you jump in with both feet.

Hi Diane ~ Wonderful news & CONGRATULATIONS!! It is great to hear from you!! I know a few have suggested for you to move forward cautiously out of concern, but I know you have been researching this and wanting this for some time. I'm sure they did an ultrasound on your liver and could probably tell at that point if it was too large for surgery.....someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I just had my ultrasound today, along with other pre-op tests. My surgeon doesn't require a liquid diet although I'm attempting to put forth the effort. :D

Now about your husband......that makes me so sad for you. :cry The last thing I would want to do is create any more grief for, but if I were you, I would tell him I would sign that paper and HE would have to sign a paper saying if he became disabled, he would go into a nursing home b/c you won't be responsible. It's the same thing. O.K., that's not a good response. With my nature, he would have been thrown out of the house.

He has some real issues that have more to do with himself than you.....you are experiencing verbal abuse. I wish I knew how to advise you. :phanvan Have you considered counseling? I know from what you have said previously, you have been trough a lot. It's time to take care of you!!! You will always find 110% support here!! I'm here for you and I'm sure the rest of LBT is as well!! :) Sending hugs your way!!!

and 3loves.....you really cracked me up! I WILL tell him to sign "my" paper along with his. Believe me...that's how I deal with this guy. 2 months ago he said my job is 24/7 to be in the kitchen preparing meals for the family....well, my mouth dropped....but I went straight to my office and made a paper chef's hat and put in big bold letters 24/7 on the hat. Then I put on a kitchen apron and I wore that for 2 days straight.....I told him if he has any important visitors...you can be sure they will be served with me wearing my uniform!

By the third day.....I came home and found him wearing the outfit.....I had clearly made the point and he felt humiliated.

I did do an ultrasound showing a "fatty liver" but I did ask the doc about it and he said as my weight is not so high....it should not be a problem for me. He is aware of its size and felt comfortable with me only doing the liquid diet 48 hrs prior to surgery.

I will be going out of town in the next few minutes.....yep..the last thing I did was to check in with you guys!

I will be back Sunday evening and check back here again with you all.

And MYRA....best wishes on your banding.....hope to hear from you that everything went well.

Big Hugs to all.....and a few smiles too....Diane : )

hi diane i weight the same as you i didn't have to preopt diet the two weeks before surgery i must of ate out 10 times the last meal thing i had surgery on april 4 no problems at all good luck do what your heart tells you. judy

and 3loves.....you really cracked me up! I WILL tell him to sign "my" paper along with his. Believe me...that's how I deal with this guy. 2 months ago he said my job is 24/7 to be in the kitchen preparing meals for the family....well, my mouth dropped....but I went straight to my office and made a paper chef's hat and put in big bold letters 24/7 on the hat. Then I put on a kitchen apron and I wore that for 2 days straight.....I told him if he has any important visitors...you can be sure they will be served with me wearing my uniform!

By the third day.....I came home and found him wearing the outfit.....I had clearly made the point and he felt humiliated.

Good for you!! I bet he knew you were serious about the guests too. I could just see that now. :pound: He must have a good sense of humor if he wore the outfit too. Did you get a picture? Men are so visual, aren't they?

Looking forward to hearing from you on Sun. Have a great weekend!!

Your husband sounds terrible... It sounds like he is just afraid of what is going to happen once you get slim and trim. I would have to sit down with him and tell him how much I dont appreciate his rude comments, remarks and lack of support. If that doesnt work, i would drag him to counceling.. if that doesnt work.. well then the hell with him. Dont sign that paper.

"One of thoses doctorly quirks that they garner from their experience with patients I think."

Anyone who questions the need for shrinking the liver only needs to watch the surgery. There are several websites available. Why take the risk?

Congratulations on your banding date... Its great that they were able to get you in before your change of insurance. We all know how hard it is to get insurance to approve. I think I would be devistated to be approved then have the insurance change and no longer be approved.... As for the dear hubby..... I have also kept up with all of your previous posts and wish you the best of luck with him. Men are bad and Drs are worse...lol. I see them from the professional side as well as I dated one for a long period of time. Some are intimidated easily when it is personal and do all they can to stay IN CONTROL.....Keep your bootstraps pulled up.....lean on us when you need a shoulder or a hand to hold yours. Do what you have to do FOR YOU>>>>>yes he matters but your health is what MATTERS MOST!! Without your health you have no you! I agree with MVPO's post......would he tell a diabetic pediatric patient and the patients parents he can no longer manage their sugar because the patient is unable to control their glucose levels or to maintain a good health weight by diet alone? I think not......He may send them to an endrocrinologist to manage all diabetic care because he isn't equipt to handle it with the sensitivity that is needed but he would never just give up on the patient. Do the balloon demonstration for him......lol What a great visual that was when you were describing it. Keep the chin up and I will keep you in my prayers. Trust that you have a great get away this weekend! Sorry got on one of my rampages......men who think they need to be in control of everyone in their paths and do the verbal and mental abuse things just push my buttons!! Just remember YOU ARE WORTH EVERYTHING YOU WANT and no one has the right to say otherwise. You sometimes have to take the bull by the horns like you are doing now......KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!