Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moms with young kids question...

I'm a newbie, hoping to have a December surgery date. I have 3 kids and I just wanted to hear from some moms with young kids on life after being banded. In relation to...not carrying my 9 month old (or 4 year old) after surgery, also food choices for the house (kids love certain foods that are off limits for me)...I'm hoping life after the band will help decrease the cravings for certain 'unhealthy' foods. Also, any before and after success pictures would be great!! I've found focusing on the 'healthier me ' and what that will not only look like but also what it will feel like is getting me mentally ready. I had been quite indecisive as to which wls was right for me. I've gone to 2 support groups and have met alot of people who feel strongly about both procedures. Especially knowing someone who's had sleeve and Lapband...both very successful. I'd to hear why others have chosen Lapband vs sleeve. For me, it's the least invasive and with 3 kids The less downtime there is the better. Also I truly believe that you can be just as successful with Lapband (even though with the sleeve it seems like you lose weight much quicker-which isnt necessarily a good thing. If I schedule my surgery on a Wednesday do you think I should go back to work on Monday or Tuesday (I work in sales...so I can be at my desk and limit outside meetings). Appreciate your feedback!

Any south Florida (Memorial healthcare) bandsters out there???

I'm a newbie' date=' hoping to have a December surgery date. I have 3 kids and I just wanted to hear from some moms with young kids on life after being banded. In relation to...not carrying my 9 month old (or 4 year old) after surgery, also food choices for the house (kids love certain foods that are off limits for me)...I'm hoping life after the band will help decrease the cravings for certain 'unhealthy' foods. Also, any before and after success pictures would be great!! I've found focusing on the 'healthier me ' and what that will not only look like but also what it will feel like is getting me mentally ready. I had been quite indecisive as to which wls was right for me. I've gone to 2 support groups and have met alot of people who feel strongly about both procedures. Especially knowing someone who's had sleeve and Lapband...both very successful. I'd to hear why others have chosen Lapband vs sleeve. For me, it's the least invasive and with 3 kids The less downtime there is the better. Also I truly believe that you can be just as successful with Lapband (even though with the sleeve it seems like you lose weight much quicker-which isnt necessarily a good thing. If I schedule my surgery on a Wednesday do you think I should go back to work on Monday or Tuesday (I work in sales...so I can be at my desk and limit outside meetings). Appreciate your feedback!

Any south Florida (Memorial healthcare) bandsters out there???[/quote']

My daughter was 2 and my son was 3 1/2 when I had surgery. I won't lie, it was hard. I had my mom with me to help for a week and a half. I couldn't lift, get up and down of the floor, was tired, and kids wanted to jump on me. I got through it, but you will need support. As far as the kid friendly food, don't worry you won't eat it in the beginning, because you can't, then eventually you will start making meals you all can eat. And I choose lap band over sleeve mostly due to mortality rates,.I have two little ones, didn't want to take that risk.

Oops... I have my husband and nanny so I should be pretty well covered..but I'm sure the beginning will be hard. I had 2 csections so I'm hoping this will be a tad easier. Wishing you continues success!

My son was three and to too it off my husband had a heart attack 3 days after my surgery. Then on the 4th day my dad got admitted to the hospital so I lost the help my mom was giving me :(. But somehow I made it through. You will do great! As far as recovery I found this MUCH easier than c section recovery! Good luck and I promise you, it's much easier than you think it is. I was worried sick about it and then when the support group unfortunately went away very quickly it was all ok. Hardest part is making a toddler understand not to jump on the belly ;)

Oops... I have my husband and nanny so I should be pretty well covered..but I'm sure the beginning will be hard. I had 2 csections so I'm hoping this will be a tad easier. Wishing you continues success!

I had two csections too,, its way easier. Try to get hubby to take some time off work. Unfortunately my husband couldn't take much time off. And definitely take 2 Weeks off work too. Your kids will be healthier too. Mine eat so much better now. Good luck to you and family

Good luck to you -- best gift you are giving to your kids will be having a healthy Mom! Be sure to resist the temptation to jump right back into the fray. Let yourself heal up really well -- fortunately kids so easily distracted at those ages. As for food, great chance to get every one eating really healthy food, too. Only in this country do we make separate food for kids -- usually stuff like mac and cheese, chicken fingers, pizza, hot dogs -- foods that are a setup for problems later.

I was thinking about having surgery on Wednesday and going back to work the following Tuesday (total of 5 days recuperation). Do you think I really need more time than that?

I'm getting banded this Tues, Oct 1st. I have a 7 year old, a 5 year old and twin 2 year olds. I'm also super nervous about recovery with all of the craziness in my house! My hubby took a few days off to help out until I'm feeling better.

I'm not a mom, but i'm going to chime in here too. Lots of topics, I'll hit one at a time.

Topic #1: I had my band almost two months ago and have a two and a half year old. We set him up in a 'big boy bed' before my surgery so I wouldn't have to lift a thirty pound child into a crib.

The day I had my band put in, I was able to sit down on the floor and play with my son. It took a lot longer to get down and up, but I was able to still play. I had a lot of help from my wife, but she was seven months pregnant with twins, so he mobility is severely limited too.

I was able to pick my son up for very brief periods after about a week to get him in a chair or stop him from doing things he shouldn't. After about two, I was able to carry him around a store or whatever without any pulling or pain in my abdomen.

The scariest one was at six weeks out, my son has jumped into the air and landed with both knees on my port. That hurt for a minute or two, but no more than if I didn't have the surgery.

It sounds like you have some backup with the kids, so that's good.

Topic #2: For food in my house, it's crazy, My wife has gestational diabetes, I have my band diet, and we have a typical two and a half year old that doesn't eat anything. We typically make one meal and we all eat portions of it that we're able to. it's not easy, and there are times where we make three separate meals in the house. It's getting better as my food options opened up, but for me, it's all a matter of wanting this to work, more than I want some of my son's Mac and cheese or hot dogs.

Topic #3: I picked band over sleeve as the thought of permanently altering my body scared me quite honestly. I like that IF something went wrong, I could have it out. It just seemed like the right thing for me. I agree that you can be equally successful, you just need to have the right motivation to get where you want. Your health is huge. For me, as messed up as this sounds, being there and healthy for my kids was stronger motivation to me than being healthy for me.

Topic #4: Going back to work seems vast and varied for folks. I took off Tuesday for my surgery. I worked from home the day after my surgery for half of the day and the rest of the week. I commuted in to work next week like normal (my commute is 52 miles each way). The drive really took more out of me than the day's work. That said, there are people that take a lot more time off. So, it's just a personal thing for you about how you think you'll handle it.

I wish you the best of luck on your surgery, regardless which procedure you select.

~David.

I had surgery on April 24th. I had a 4 year old and a 10 month old at that time. Both Csections and recovery from the band was way easier...

I had help for about 4 days after surgery, but found myself quite capable to do pretty much anything pretty quickly...I just had to adjust and do it a little slower.

I have found the band really really helps with snacky kid foods that I can't eat...and honestly...now I see stuff like goldfish and have no desire to even put one in my mouth. If there is a snacky food that you really love...don't buy it...snacky foods go down pretty easily and its easy to end up "eating through the band" with them.

Sometimes mealtimes are hard. My hubby is deployed so its just me and the kids. Often I make them a meal and have a Protein drink for my "dinner" then after I put them to bed make a "lapband appropriate" dinner for myself that is real food. I find that if I don't eat real food instead of just Protein drinks I'm hungry by 9pm.

I had surgery on a Wednesday and went back to work on Monday. it was too soon. I also work from home and sit at a desk at home...it was still too soon. I wish I'd taken a full week at least.

Hope that helps!

Thank you David and LapbandAnna! Sounds like your both doing great. I may end up having surgery on Wed and then go back following Wednesday. Trying not to let to many people know at work (accept for close friends/coworkers). Was it easy to keep this under wraps from coworkers. I am an extremely upbeat, lots if energy person so I'm hoping I'll still have some pep in my step lol

Also is everyone able to eat salad?? I LOve salad...odd huh..lol. I eat it every day for lunch.. Just hoping I can still have this in smaller amounts

As they've said everyone is different and has different experiences. I personally went back to work 4 days later to a job in ICU that was mostly being on my feet and fairly physically demanding, I avoided lifting but still managed to do my job. I will admit by the end of my 12 hour shifts I was tired and a little sore!!

As far a salad it's still one of my favorites :) I've not had any problems with it although I have heard others say they do. Good luck!!