Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So let me start by saying that i am completely new to this. I am 23 years old with a 3 year old son. i am 5'0 weighing 198.3 with a bmi close to 39. Throughout my life ive always been the "chubby" kid. Throughout the years i didnt care of my looks/weight , until i got into highschool. I tried diet pills, injections, diet fads and exercised, but nothing seemed to work. I would lose 10 pounds but gain 15 2-3 days later. Its like i would look at a donut and gain 5 pounds, yes i said look. lol SMILE :D i am a very well reserved young lady, very laid back. I am very kind hearted, loving and very understanding. Honestly, on this forum i am looking for buddies that have gone through this experience whom i can ask any question i have doubts on. Or even newbies like me that are willing to take this journey together. A few days ago, i went into my doctors office for an annual physical exam, had some blood work done, and came back that i had problems with my thyroid. so now here i am taking these hormones to get my body going. Tommorow i have to call my doctor to pick up my referral and set up the date to go in for the seminar. I have a few questions:

1) what are the seminars like?

2) what should i expect?

3)what is the next step after the seminar?

4) just because my doctor approved, can i be denied by any other medical person (besides my insurance) ?

Thanks guys , i hope i can grow a bond with you guys on here, since you will be my new family from now on. :) take care guys. its 1:27 am here in NY GOODNIGHT -_-

post-354027-13813142403504_thumb.jpg

Welcome !! I just started my journey also . I have 5 more visits but can't do anything until June . So can't answer a lot of ur ?? But just want to say welcome and good luck on ur journey as well..

The seminars are very informational the one I went to we watched a video and the directed of the seminar was banded also so I got to ask her the pros and coins of being banded. After my seminar and after I made my final decision I called my insurance and asked them exactly what they required me to do because some insurance companies are stricter than others. Afterward I scheduled my psych eval then I had to see the nutritionist and finally the surgeon before my application was sent to the insurance company. You can certainly ask me anything you like I'm not as knowledgeable as some veterans on her but I try:) I'm 21 and I was banded on 8/12. Good Luck!!!

Welcome !! I just started my journey also . I have 5 more visits but can't do anything until June . So can't answer a lot of ur ?? But just want to say welcome and good luck on ur journey as well..

Thank you soo much !! when you say 5 more visits is that with different doctors?? , im Completely new at this so im not sure what your saying sorry :( . BUT thank you so much for your wishes , i do to wish you the best on your journey! keep me posted :)

The seminars are very informational the one I went to we watched a video and the directed of the seminar was banded also so I got to ask her the pros and coins of being banded. After my seminar and after I made my final decision I called my insurance and asked them exactly what they required me to do because some insurance companies are stricter than others. Afterward I scheduled my psych eval then I had to see the nutritionist and finally the surgeon before my application was sent to the insurance company. You can certainly ask me anything you like I'm not as knowledgeable as some veterans on her but I try:) I'm 21 and I was banded on 8/12. Good Luck!!!

WOWW! you are soo lucky you already went through with your journey! i wanted to ask you , what type of insurance did u have and also i know that your own doctors must say they approve , but does also the surgeon have to approve? did the surgeon interview u ? im just nervous that i do all this and the surgeon denys me and im just heartbroken you know? i dont want to get too happy.. but anyways im glad you shared your journey with me! And i do wish you the best on every step of your life here on out !

I have to see the nutritionist 4 more times once a month then I still have to do a pych eval , blood work and EKG . My first visit I had a physical and they checked my lungs. Had to blow in some machine.. Anyhow my last visit is in February . Then I have to wait till June cause my insurance requires I be on Insrance for a year.. I've been learning a lot on here . I wish u god luck also and keep us posted!!

Yes the surgeon interviewed me my primary doctor refer me at all I knew I needed help so I went right to my surgeons office! But they simply ask you questions and make sure your healthy, motivated, and informed about the surgery and what life will be like with the band. I was in an out in 30-35 minutes with my surgeons approval! Keep the questions coming I love them!

Oh and I have medco pretty good company they paid 80% of my surgery and I paid 20% to my deductible

Oh and I have medco pretty good company they paid 80% of my surgery and I paid 20% to my deductible

again congrats on your surgery !! i honestly cannot wait until this is over lol, but im just afraid that i am denied by a surgeon or my insurance u know?