Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleeping post opp :(

So here I am about a week post opp and I'm still sleeping in a recliner. I decided enough was enough earlier and went to lie down in my bed all went fine at first settled in on my right side feel a sleep almost right away then woke up about an hour later in pain. I had turned over in my sleep. The muscle the port is attached too was having none of it. Is any one else having trouble sleeping? Any suggestions on how to get to sleep in a bed vs a recliner.... as don't want to be stuck in this chair

Hi there, hope you are getting some good sleep right now! What about bracing yourself in with extra pillows to prevent rolling over -- sort of like being tucked into place.....then you can remove pillows one by one over time until you're back to your regular sleep position. Hope your healing is going well and you're feeling well rested soon.

Bandista is right..propping yourself into position is the way. Port pain does improve but in my experience does take time.. Even now mine can be a bit sore and narky. I did exactly the same rolled over sleeping and woke up in pain. You'll be sleeping soundly soon I'm sure.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk

It will take some time. My port area was very sore for a couple of months. I know you don't want to stay in a recliner for that long. I'd use some extra pillows on your bed to help keep you from rolling over onto it if it hurts when you do. I thought I was going to be sore "forever" but it went away and yours will to, once you've had enough time to heal.

I propped myself with a pillow on both sides to prevent rolling!

I'm with everyone else : pillows! I was so propped up with pillows behind me and on my side, it was ridiculous. But, it was the only way I could sleep. I slept only a few hours at a time. For me, it took between 4-5 days to sleep "regular" again.

It will take some time but you'll be back to sleeping normally again soon. Best wishes!

I couldn't sleep normally for 3-4 weeks. Nothing unusual about how you're feeling.

thanks all not much sleep had last night i just seemed to move from recliner to sofa to bed and back again. the port area was just extra twitchy last night that i just couldn't find that sleep spot. will work on getting the pillows out but my trouble is I've always been a play soccer in my sleep kinda of girl that sleeping still just doesn't come easy.. here's to hoping for a quick heal, but other wise i'm doing good.. today i get to move on to the next fazed in my post op diet.. not sure what i want to try first cream of wheat ... hummus or something else decisions decision decisions :rolleyes: .

So here I am about a week post opp and I'm still sleeping in a recliner. I decided enough was enough earlier and went to lie down in my bed all went fine at first settled in on my right side feel a sleep almost right away then woke up about an hour later in pain. I had turned over in my sleep. The muscle the port is attached too was having none of it. Is any one else having trouble sleeping? Any suggestions on how to get to sleep in a bed vs a recliner.... as don't want to be stuck in this chair

I slept In my recliner for at least 3 weeks or so. My port is on my left side of my chest not on my abdomen. Get a pillow and put it under the side your port is on and get a bra that's good to lift and it should help. It gets better as time goes on but I found that a bra would help with the hurting. Is yours on your abdomen or chest?

Do you still have your pain meds? I would suggest taking them just so you can sleep. I was prescribed liquid hydrocodone and when I took it, I was guaranteed at least 6 hours of steady sleep.

I'm a full week and 2 days post op. It took me about 5 days to sleep just ok without being propped up. Now I'm finally sleeping on my tummy and able to roll over no problem. Sometimes I'll get a tiny twitch of pain/discomfort but nothing that is unbearable. Like others said, use the pain meds to sleep. I recommend regular strength liquid Tylenol for during the day!